What's in the news today... (NO COVID / POLITICS)

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
There is another crazy one.

What a tragic freak accident. Poor UPS driver was just in the wrong place at the wrong time :( ?

Just goes to show you how a few feet one way or another, a few seconds earlier or later can change everything.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
World is going nuts….going back to book burning soon.
In the fight to enforce equality they are causing a bigger divide, forgetting history is also a huge mistake.

Here in West Australia our premier is trying to pass laws to stop Bikies wearing colours, or even exposing tattoos of their group.
Some of these guys have had tattoos for decades and are now being told to wear clothing or make up to cover them.
I’m no bikie advocate, but don’t people realise when you start enforcing restrictions in one area it opens it up for others ….freedoms are slowly disappearing, the right to have views that are not accepted by some are disappearing.

The world has gone nuts

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
I get involve with school since my kids are in public school, and the teen sex assault and bathroom HS news really caught my nerves. The father, whom is a plumber, was arrested at the school board meeting for being angry/terrorist (espoused by US Attorney General). He called out the board and superintendent for covering the story of her daughter's rape case, caused by a boy in same school, in May 2021. We all know the truth now that the whole district intentionally covered it up.

I've been following Dave Chapelle's Netflix specials in the last couple years and he's known for the [Dave Chapelle] group jokes. I didn't think the [Dave Chapelle] issue and what the conservatives has espoused since 2012 would be problematic this fast. You suspect that these types of culture revolution tends to happen in Ivy Leagues or big corporations first, and issues would manifest there first. But now it seems that the real problem has manifested at the wrong place.

I understand there needs to be compassion and pour out of hearts to the [Dave Chapelle], but it seems that we lack the balance of judgement and values, like we're not using our brains anymore. Or many of us may have lost the courage to speak the truth to protect all kids as they're all weak and vulnerable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...d3f144-2c61-11ec-8ef6-3ca8fe943a92_story.html

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
World is going nuts….going back to book burning soon.
In the fight to enforce equality they are causing a bigger divide, forgetting history is also a huge mistake.

Here in West Australia our premier is trying to pass laws to stop Bikies wearing colours, or even exposing tattoos of their group.
Some of these guys have had tattoos for decades and are now being told to wear clothing or make up to cover them.
I’m no bikie advocate, but don’t people realise when you start enforcing restrictions in one area it opens it up for others ….freedoms are slowly disappearing, the right to have views that are not accepted by some are disappearing.

The world has gone nuts
Is this real of "fake news" about Australia?:

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Can’t say without doubt…but yes looks about right.
Depending on where you live in Aus things are different.
Victoria has been known to be the toughest, with even a man putting his bins out with no mask being questioned.
Sydney were tough about wearing masks but for nowhere near as long…and they are the first to be opening back up to the world.
WA, where I live has probably been the most free in a lot of aspects…no mask wearing everything open, capacity crowds…pretty much life as normal ore pandemic BUT in other ways much worse
As we haven’t really had covid here, the premier is scared to let us resume travel…we can not go to other states because we won’t be permitted to return home. Some states like NT, SA we can visit, but will need to complete two weeks quarantine ….and we will probably be the last to open to the world which for a traveller like myself is hard.
Many industries have mandatory vaccination now, particularly health, and front line services but more recently things like construction and teaching
We were slow for vaccination take off but have now passed both the US and Israel…our smallest state/territory the ACT, is sitting around 95% first vaccination for those over 12 now …NSW also doing really well…and have announced that international borders will reopen in a month for the fully vaccinated ( they have also said that freedoms will return to the unvaccinated once vaccination rates reach a high percentage…which is more than most states)
So here in WA we are in the crazy situation where we can not leave our state to travel in our own country but those in NSW can leave the country to travel the world
No travel for West Australians means no travel…not for a funeral, wedding, or to see dying family.
We had fly in and out miners seperate from family for months, most decided to move states so they could see their family.

The real problem especially in my state is the hospital situation. They are not even coping with day to day issues, and we have 0 covid ….I’m not sure how they will cope once we open to the world again. But open we must at some stage.
Our state has lost direct flight routes to Europe because of their lack of commitment to resume travel, with the NT picking them up …great for them, not for us.

If history has taught me anything, it’s the longer you keep civilisation closed to viruses the worse it is when you are finally exposed because you get the strongest variants. When the Spanish came to the Americas, when the Europeans can to Aus…same thing, whole tribes etc killed off from the common cold because they had never been exposed to the lesser variant.

I agree with the measures until we have high vaccination (80% double dose) , but at that point we need to open.
Don’t agree with the heavy handed police ….but that has been mostly one state…Victoria

It’s all a bit nuts

Last edited:

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
That seems to be statistically true from many Aussie scholars and regular joes. The downside of trusting the gov't too much.

I think one of the reason why these types thing doesn't happen in US, like having authoritarian-leaning, is because of the American Revolutionary War (i.e. declared independence and fought against GB). The War is very unique bc from the very beginning of US of A, we pushed the authoritarian-like King out. This is the fundamental American culture, individuals to question authorities, unlike anything in this world. Unfortunately, we sorta lost our roots and allowed/accepted the different cultures to creep in and potentially take over. This culture I'm talking about is the "false compassion" (i.e. woke culture).

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
P
That seems to be statistically true from many Aussie scholars and regular joes. The downside of trusting the gov't too much.

I think one of the reason why these types thing doesn't happen in US, like having authoritarian-leaning, is because of the American Revolutionary War (i.e. declared independence and fought against GB). The War is very unique bc from the very beginning of US of A, we pushed the authoritarian-like King out. This is the fundamental American culture, individuals to question authorities, unlike anything in this world. Unfortunately, we sorta lost our roots and allowed/accepted the different cultures to creep in and potentially take over. This culture I'm talking about is the "false compassion" (i.e. woke culture).
people are questioning…just they still try to enforce it.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Kinda late but the Texas Firearm Carry Act of 2021 is basically an expansion of the current gun carry laws, allowing anyone 21yrs or older (of clean record) to carry (concealed or holstered) w/o a permit. The conceal carry license program is still active and useful. There are two unique provisions that allow individuals to negotiate easier to get their guns back immediately at the scene (e.g. at a shooting scene).

Bunch of other provisions added to the existing gun carrying laws.