What will stop you from owning the new Z?

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
i know most here seem like huge fans of the car. im really excited about it myself.
been lurking for a while and decided to join as we finally get closer to knowing all soon.

tl/dr: what will stop you from purchasing the new z?

so im coming from the point of buying a new dd. my current is an 05 x-runner, she has been a great ride and ive put over 230k miles on it.
was needing a dependable gas saver (lol...yeah right!) for my long commute. my wife suggested i get an suv, namely the subaru crosstrek.
im wanting an awd, but not sure if i was ready to give up rowing gears and being dropped low.

so i talked her into a wrx or sti. i came really close to buying one, but lost out on a few during bidding. also, the prices on them have skyrocketed.
the 2022 wrx has been delayed, but it is a whole new model. it sounds like it will be a great new platform. i kept seeing all the z talk over the past year and decided it was worth waiting and seeing how these turned out.

heres what will keep me from purchasing the z...

1. if the z ends up being way over the $35k starting price.
i could not justify this for a daily because of the ability to carry stuff i need for work occasionally, but i can still use the xrunner then.
or if the gas mileage is too bad (lol). my xr gets 15/19. im 75% sure i'll get one if all we've heard so far is true.
if those dont stop me, one of these other cars might...

2. 2022 wrx/sti
waiting to see specs & price. some are really excited about while others are meh. no one will know for sure until its announced, but im holding off just incase this ends up being the new car to have. the awd is the main seller for me with weather etc. also you can carry quite a bit plus more passengers. the gas mileage on the lower trims arent too bad. the sti? forget about it....

3. late model wrx/sti.
if i run across the "right one" i may snag it. im still scoping all the car venues in case, but as ive mentioned the prices are way out there now.
finding one that has low miles and the engine not modded out of this world is harder than you think.

4. 2023 lotus emira (just saw this today)
i could afford to get it, but it would be utterly and totally irresponsible on my part...lol. i couldnt carry anything, the gas milage would suck and it would just end up in my shop collection dust like my supra and 2 fd's. seriously though...it is a gorgeous car. to be honest i need to keep the price of my next dd at 30-45k.

5. world war 3 or another corona apocalypse....or if we find out bmw is building it for nissan.

so, for those of you who have planned on getting the z, just curious, what would stop you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
High mark ups. Im poor lol :(:p
yeah...im kind of afraid of this too.
it happened with the c8, civic r type and sorta with the zupr4.

i bet they would sell for at least msrp...no discounts.
heck $10-15k over is possible... what do you guys think?

240SX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14
yeah...im kind of afraid of this too.
it happened with the c8, civic r type and sorta with the zupr4.

i bet they would sell for at least msrp...no discounts.
heck $10-15k over is possible... what do you guys think?
I think I might hold off until the second year or pick up a discounted left over 22 model. Or maybe even a slightly used one. We'll see in time.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I think I might hold off until the second year or pick up a discounted left over 22 model. Or maybe even a slightly used one. We'll see in time.
that would be the smart move...

my deliemma is ive been waiting to pick up a new dd for a while.
its happened to me a few times in the past, but waiting is not a virtue i possess...
and thats with me knowing i may get the "first model year problems" too.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
At this stage I’m pretty committed. Only three things could change my mind
1.. price a lot higher than expected
2..a manual car in one of the three colours that I would accept is not available and
3..when it comes time to trade in, I can’t let my Peugeot go (there will be tears)

ZZ2022

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 R35 GTR
2. 2022 wrx/sti
waiting to see specs & price. some are really excited about while others are meh. no one will know for sure until its announced, but im holding off just incase this ends up being the new car to have. the awd is the main seller for me with weather etc. also you can carry quite a bit plus more passengers. the gas mileage on the lower trims arent too bad. the sti? forget about it....

This is the only thing that could stop me, I am waiting to see the specs as i think it will be a great car. And i want to see which one will come out quicker

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
Yea it simply comes down to the price.. if I can get the performance we expect around 40k it’s a bargain. If it creeps into Supra territory then I’m probably out. I love what it offers but can’t justify a 50k+ Nissan.

I’d probably get a used cayman at that point.

Edit: also if they put the DAS from the Infiniti for some ungodly reason. That would be an immediate no-go.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
1. Poor reviews. If it proves to be nothing more than a facelifted 370 with a bit more power I am out. Needs to up its game in all respects.
2. Inadequate compensatory tech for its very marginal sightlines. It needs everything: rear CTA, parking sensors front and rear, BSM. Ideally 360 cameras.
3. If the reviews of the new GR86 are spectacular, and a test drive bears this out, that may be persuasive. But for me the twins' lack of a rev-matching mt is a big negative.

supra93

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Occupation
Pastry Chef
#1, the SO lol. Already said I have too many cars. :rolleyes:

But if I were in the market I would say: finances, high MSRP, and or mark ups.

For those that are worried about mark ups I would wait for the next model year. Back in 2010/2011 I was looking at a used low milage G35 coupe at my local Nissan dealer. For some reason the salesman thought I wanted the new yellow 370Z sitting in the middle of the showroom. He said the MSRP is $38k, but he could $32k and maybe a little lower if I had my own wheels.