Senate passes Chip Manufacturing Bill

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
If you think TSMC will make money from building/operating a fab in US (5nm and below), then, you are probably mistaken. I work with TSMC a lot. They are coerced by US to build a fab here in US. The cost of a fab in US is at least 50% higher than a similar one in Taiwan. Cost of construction, operations, personnel, etc. It is hard to find qualified employees in US (nowadays) that are capable and willing to work in a fab (hint: bunny suit, and on call to get to factory within 1 hr for any emergencies). TSMC knew they will lose money in US. This Chip Act just helps them lose *less*.

Intel is a diff story entirely. They need the money.
Samsung tries to sit on the fence by investing both in China and USA. The Koreans try to be smart by not taking sides. Let us see how that will turn out.
-$12B coercion? Sounds kinda strange. Do you mind elaborate?
-Can you elaborate on why it's "hard to find qualified employees in US"?
-What's w/ the Intel issue?

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
OP
OP
Donalex

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
What I meant to say is that it appears that you didn't even read the bill to begin with. You relied to second hand information to do the thinking for you.

It's possible that the title of the bill do not represent the entire bill. I'm willing to bet that vast majority of the $bill goes to "green infrastructure".
I never really laid out the content in any detail as I'm not a newscaster. I'd rather people decide to investigate it themselves if they want.

This is Chips and Science. There's another bill for solar still not approved by the House.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
-$12B coercion? Sounds kinda strange. Do you mind elaborate?
-Can you elaborate on why it's "hard to find qualified employees in US"?
-What's w/ the Intel issue?
Okā€¦.a bit off topic, but this is what I donā€™t understand.
In Aus we also donā€™t have enough people to work ATM, itā€™s said it is because of covid and that internationals returned home, and I could understand that if other countries were nit struggling.
But every single country is grappling with a shortage of labor ā€¦.so where did all the workers go?