Just what was Nissan's thinking about how we'll drive the Z?

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
The new Z comes with a plethora of safety systems for collision avoidance and mitigation, so it would seem Nissan takes driver safety seriously. But it appears the MT models offer only a simple binary on/off for TC/VDC - this on a car where Nissan has to know that drivers are going to want to have some tail-out fun, it's a large part of why they are buying a 400hp RWD sports car in the first place. Yet ironically Nissan prefers to ignore this simple fact and leave drivers at the mercy of their own (lack of) skill rather than leave some safety net in place when drivers want to indulge a bit - an inherently dangerous scenario.

It's not as if a graduated TC/VDC system is expensive or hard to implement these days, even the considerably cheaper twins have a 5-level TC system according to the latest reviews. What were the Z's developers thinking leaving out such a crucial feature? If this isn't rectified it will be one massive fail, with predictably nasty consequences. Cars 'n Coffee videos and memes incoming....

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
The new Z comes with a plethora of safety systems for collision avoidance and mitigation, so it would seem Nissan takes driver safety seriously. But it appears the MT models offer only a simple binary on/off for TC/VDC - this on a car where Nissan has to know that drivers are going to want to have some tail-out fun, it's a large part of why they are buying a 400hp RWD sports car in the first place. Yet ironically Nissan prefers to ignore this simple fact and leave drivers at the mercy of their own (lack of) skill rather than leave some safety net in place when drivers want to indulge a bit - an inherently dangerous scenario.

It's not as if a graduated TC/VDC system is expensive or hard to implement these days, even the considerably cheaper twins have a 5-level TC system according to the latest reviews. What were the Z's developers thinking leaving out such a crucial feature? If this isn't rectified it will be one massive fail, with predictably nasty consequences. Cars 'n Coffee videos and memes incoming....
Where are you seeing that? I do remember the rep at the auto show mentioning having some options when it comes to adjusting safety controls, so I'd be surprised if it's as straightforward as all on/all off.

OP
OP
DevonK

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Where are you seeing that? I do remember the rep at the auto show mentioning having some options when it comes to adjusting safety controls, so I'd be surprised if it's as straightforward as all on/all off.
There is nothing in any of the spec sheets or pressers that talks about adjustable TC or VDC for the MT - but they do for the AT. That seems to me to be a fairly strong indication that there is nothing on offer for the MT beyond on/off.

A mod on another forum looked into it and came to the same conclusion. I certainly hope we are both wrong.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Agree with @DevonK and it's been his and my painpoint. When we get the manual Z, I'm sure to at least push it at the track very soon. This is where a stepped TC/VDC will really help in 'learning' the behavior of the chassis and tuning, not just an on/off switch. I can deal with the latter but in today's world any sports car should come with this feature, especially with manual trans where, for example, any misshift will upset the chassis quite a bit.

Let's push Nissan to offer this soon, change the configuration. I will ask the techs next weekend at JCCS at the new Z display, hoping to get updated info.