Hands Up all the Aussies

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
The 240 Proto Spec's being made for the US market is to pay a bit of a homage to the original Z the 240Z.

So at most you would think Australia or any other market outside of the US would get 240 Proto Spec's.

However as the US is the largest market for it and they are making only 240 to keep it special you would think smaller markets as you suggested West Aussie would need to have less than 240.

The only other number that would work if they want to stick with having a bit of a homage with the number of Proto Spec's available would be 50 as the Z Proto concept was made to honour 50 years of Z cars.
Exactly…my dealer is still not 100% convinced we will get them….but hey at this point, it looks like we know more than the dealers do.
Nissan Aus need to pull their finger out. If your taking official reservation then information needs to be forthcoming

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
When things were at fever pitch I do recall reading somewhere that it was just the US market that was getting the 240 protos - which was news to me because I thought there were 240 Proto's Total - as in each country got a slice of the 240. After reading that I figured that there would be more than 240 produced, and, with no further indication given for an overall total it would seem that whilst Nissan is getting down payments production targets are not being capped?

Companies like making money after all..
Agree, but then it’s not really limited

Last edited:
OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
New article on the Z with reference to hidden design details of older models which most of us already know about.

The article still speculates that prices should start around the $70k mark.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/hidden-easter-eggs-in-new-nissan-z-revealed-133523/
Yeah…this is a rehash of the information that was emailed out to everyone …it’s like they are drawing everything out ?

My dealer put 80k on the contract, but said it would be revised down if it was lower. Said he would prefer people got a nice surprise and paid less than expected rather than more.
However 70k doesn’t mean much …is that on road? Or before rego, dealer delivery etc …who knows
And that could very well take it up to near the 80k mark

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
not sure if you guys discuss this here. haven't been in this thread in a long while, but this vid on aus came up on my feed and freaked me out.

is this really going on over there? locking up pregnant women?

not trying to derail yalls thread...

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
not sure if you guys discuss this here. haven't been in this thread in a long while, but this vid on aus came up on my feed and freaked me out.

is this really going on over there? locking up pregnant women?

not trying to derail yalls thread...

it’s settled down now, everyone apart from the state of WA ( where I live) is open, so that’s diffused a lot of it. Still lots protests about mandates on vaccines though.
But yes it’s true, it happened…especially In VIC as they have had the most lockdowns than anywhere else in the world.
People are tired. We know COVID’s nit great, but more and more are understanding the only way out is by letting it go and hopefully coming out the other side with a bit of immunity ….we are supposed to open up to the other states and the world Feb 5th, it’s going to be a huge shock for most west aussies and I doubt our hospital system is ready. But I am of the mind, the sooner we get it hopefully the sooner we will come out the other side …if our premier was smart he’d let someone with the Omicron variant in so it will definitely be the lesser of the strains and limit the fatalities

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
So interesting…
this line that was on the bottom of the reservation form
“Deliveries will commence in August 2022, however due to high global customer demand and limited allocations, we cannot confirm your delivery date at this time. Nissan and your authorised dealer will support the pre-order process with regular communication updates.”

is now gone and replaced with

“The all-new Z is not yet available for purchase. Expected availability for Australia is 2022. All features are based on the pre-production overseas model. Actual Australian production model may vary.”

also noticed this

“Strong demand for the all-new Z Proto Limited Edition has resulted in Nissan allocating all available cars with no further available. However, if you wish to be in the queue for any that may become available due to cancellation please continue with your nomination.”

This would seem to suggest that Nissan Aus already knows their allocations and will be filling orders in the order they were placed.
It also might mean that delivery will not be as late as August, ?

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
As always your dedication to finding out any information you can on the Z is amazing West Aussie!

“Strong demand for the all-new Z Proto Limited Edition has resulted in Nissan allocating all available cars with no further available. However, if you wish to be in the queue for any that may become available due to cancellation please continue with your nomination.”

This would seem to suggest that Nissan Aus already knows their allocations and will be filling orders in the order they were placed.
So the Proto Z allocation has been exhausted. It will be interesting to find out how many have been allocated for Australia. Hopefully it isn't as many as the 240 for the US market as it will make it less special here, however if they are putting out information about wanting to be in the queue for possible cancellations well maybe there is still enough demand/want here that even with 240 it could potentially still be special.

Hopefully I got my order in early enough that I have secured one!

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
As always your dedication to finding out any information you can on the Z is amazing West Aussie!

So the Proto Z allocation has been exhausted. It will be interesting to find out how many have been allocated for Australia. Hopefully it isn't as many as the 240 for the US market as it will make it less special here, however if they are putting out information about wanting to be in the queue for possible cancellations well maybe there is still enough demand/want here that even with 240 it could potentially still be special.

Hopefully I got my order in early enough that I have secured one!
To me it sounds like those that have had their order in are ok.
I didn’t notice this information on the page a couple of days ago…..so I’d say you are ok.

For me the positive take out of this is they must know what their allocations are, and they seem to be allocating out according to orders in as promised.
I also feel ( and I have no idea because I haven’t worked in the industry) that given they have their allocations that they will be in dealers before August.
my dealer has always said he felt August was worst case scenario .….I’m hoping we see them April, May or June

Wishful thinking maybe…but I got nothing else to hold onto right now?

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Ok so after all the Pics, I thought I should do a quick post here, for us Aussies.

First of all it was fantastic to finally see a RHD set up. It looks fantastic, and is very exciting.
The time line seems to fit the Aussie time line, in peoples past experiences are we usually much behind Japan, or do you think the June/ July timeline for us is ambitious?

Finally pricing. My dealer has always said around 70k for our base and 80k for sports. The conversion from the Japanese price would put the Proto at 84k, so I’m guess the base would be around. 72k
How do we all feel about that. For me it’s in the ball park of what I expected but I know a few of you thought it would be less.

Thoughts?

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
First of all it was fantastic to finally see a RHD set up. It looks fantastic, and is very exciting.
Yeah it makes it a lot easier to visualize being behind the wheel when it is in a more familiar configuration. Amazing what difference it makes.

The time line seems to fit the Aussie time line, in peoples past experiences are we usually much behind Japan, or do you think the June/ July timeline for us is ambitious?
There is potential that it might be a global release at the same time for every market but you would have to have enough supply for that to be possible and with the current chip shortage I doubt that will be the case. Priority will most likely go to the JDM and US markets first.

So that would potentially mean a slightly later release for us if there isn't enough supply so maybe a month or two later which will suck for most people but will actually work for me as I am looking the buy a new place and would like to settle that before the car.

Finally pricing. My dealer has always said around 70k for our base and 80k for sports. The conversion from the Japanese price would put the Proto at 84k, so I’m guess the base would be around. 72k
How do we all feel about that. For me it’s in the ball park of what I expected but I know a few of you thought it would be less.
The potential major issue with the pricing of the Proto Spec in Japan is that I am fairly sure it is more than the cost of the Supra in Japan.

If that is the case it could mean that the Proto Spec could wind up in the $90k's here which I think would be crazy as it has always been the belief that the Z would undercut the Supra and by a decent margin.

It also leads me to believe that my thoughts of the Proto Spec being only around $5k more than the normal version could be wrong and it could be more like $10k which is a pretty significant jump in price for some wheels and a slightly different interior. A $10k jump might have been fine if the Ikazuchi Yellow was exclusive to the Proto Spec but not when you can get any Z in that colour.

I am still holding out hope the it will top out at $80k.

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
So that would potentially mean a slightly later release for us if there isn't enough supply so maybe a month or two later which will suck for most people but will actually work for me as I am looking the buy a new place and would like to settle that before the car.
If the current state of our supermarkets is anything to go by I think you might be in luck.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
If the current state of our supermarkets is anything to go by I think you might be in luck.
Don’t even talk to me about supermarkets…bloody hoarders. WA doesn't even have covid yet, we have our own suppliers, own meat works, yet still no chicken and little meat this week.

umm, back to the car.
seriously if it’s 90k I think they will lose a lot of business.
I went for a standard yellow, because like @Tdog87 I thought an extra 5-10k for rims and brakes ( both could be updated for around 2k at a later date) and yellow touched interior was a bit rich, particularly as if you want to add interior colour you could go the red and black.

I agree a couple months later is probably more realistic…and would make the August timeline spot on.
However still hoping for a June July timeline given there will be much fewer RHDs needed compared to the LHD for the US…maybe they will try and pump them out, because a Japanese market or Aus market on its own would be pretty small.

Have to try and stay positive ?

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
Don’t even talk to me about supermarkets…bloody hoarders.
Was more referring to the state of our logistics over here on the east coast with thousands of truck drivers in isolation.

seriously if it’s 90k I think they will lose a lot of business.
Completely agree. 70-80k is the sweet spot. It would be a mistake to price it higher.