First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 Q50 RS, 16 Altima, 05 350Z, 04 Titan
Occupation
IT Fool
Was hoping to see further down the engine bay for a peek at the recirc setup (if its there). Looks like its been built into the compressor housing based on pics in this thread. - https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/t...d-manual-transmission-technical-close-up.478/

Since that seems to be a more expensive way to retrofit them (new comp housing vice just sticking it in the silicone hose right above it), I'm wondering what other things were redesigned for these turbos. Are the rumors of "bigger" (than the Q50/60 VR30) turbos true? Could we be getting something similar to the Pure Turbos upgrade but from the factory? ?‍♂

spencello

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
PRL Motorsports Sales Manager
Oh man, finally some solid footage (even if it's most likely partially fake/scripted)! This sounds and moves even better than I expected.

Yep, the BPV should be integrated into the compressor housing, we're seeing this on quite a fewer turbochargers, most likely due to spacing constraints, efficiency and added simplicity/cost-effectiveness of surrounding components. If I had to guess, wheel sizes are most likely the same or identical between the Q60 Red and new Z. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the wheel aero specs, compressor inlet and/or turbine A/R is has been manipulated a bit. We're seeing a lot of turbochargers (like the Honda Civic 1.5T, FK8 Civic Type-R, etc) change wheel specs slightly for added efficiency between chassis updates, possibly meaning slightly more HP per PSI and decreased shaft speeds. Nissan seemed pretty adamant about displaying turbocharger speed with this vehicle. It seems like manufacturers are finally trying to reiterate the importance of monitoring turbocharger shaft speeds, especially knowing this car is going to be modded and pushed. At the end of the day, there is only so much that a specific shaft and bearing cartridge is going to be recommended to handle, especially by a vehicle manufacturer offering a warranty. I can't see drastically reengineering turbos for a vehicle when they already had something that worked well. A drop-in turbocharger will definitely still have a market. ;)

Was hoping to see further down the engine bay for a peek at the recirc setup (if its there). Looks like its been built into the compressor housing based on pics in this thread. - https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/t...d-manual-transmission-technical-close-up.478/

Since that seems to be a more expensive way to retrofit them (new comp housing vice just sticking it in the silicone hose right above it), I'm wondering what other things were redesigned for these turbos. Are the rumors of "bigger" (than the Q50/60 VR30) turbos true? Could we be getting something similar to the Pure Turbos upgrade but from the factory? ?‍♂

cantzme

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
IT Fool
That makes alot of sense when accounting for cost effectiveness and refreshing/updating platforms. I'd sure love to be able to squeeze 600 wheel out of the stockers though. Wishful thinking i suppose. :p

Oh man, finally some solid footage (even if it's most likely partially fake/scripted)! This sounds and moves even better than I expected.

Yep, the BPV should be integrated into the compressor housing, we're seeing this on quite a fewer turbochargers, most likely due to spacing constraints, efficiency and added simplicity/cost-effectiveness of surrounding components. If I had to guess, wheel sizes are most likely the same or identical between the Q60 Red and new Z. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the wheel aero specs, compressor inlet and/or turbine A/R is has been manipulated a bit. We're seeing a lot of turbochargers (like the Honda Civic 1.5T, FK8 Civic Type-R, etc) change wheel specs slightly for added efficiency between chassis updates, possibly meaning slightly more HP per PSI and decreased shaft speeds. Nissan seemed pretty adamant about displaying turbocharger speed with this vehicle. It seems like manufacturers are finally trying to reiterate the importance of monitoring turbocharger shaft speeds, especially knowing this car is going to be modded and pushed. At the end of the day, there is only so much that a specific shaft and bearing cartridge is going to be recommended to handle, especially by a vehicle manufacturer offering a warranty. I can't see drastically reengineering turbos for a vehicle when they already had something that worked well. A drop-in turbocharger will definitely still have a market. ;)

spencello

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
PRL Motorsports Sales Manager
That makes alot of sense when accounting for cost effectiveness and refreshing/updating platforms. I'd sure love to be able to squeeze 600 wheel out of the stockers though. Wishful thinking i suppose. :p
I think that's a very realistic goal - personally I'm planning for something very similar. The current drop-in upgrades look very promising, and I think the future is only going to get better. ~575 whp at 21 psi on e30, 540 whp at 21 PSI on 93 octane pump gas, and 600+ with more serious mods using the Pure Stage 2 Upgrades. The Z should react very similarly, maybe even better with a bit less drivetrain loss and added efficiency. ? Some of the other options out there using only a compressor wheel upgrade make solid power as well.

cantzme

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
IT Fool
I think that's a very realistic goal - personally I'm planning for something very similar. The current drop-in upgrades look very promising, and I think the future is only going to get better. ~575 whp at 21 psi on e30, 540 whp at 21 PSI on 93 octane pump gas, and 600+ with more serious mods using the Pure Stage 2 Upgrades. The Z should react very similarly, maybe even better with a bit less drivetrain loss and added efficiency. ? Some of the other options out there using only a compressor wheel upgrade make solid power as well.
Thats pretty much my exact line of thinking, cant wait to see what gets developed for this platform on top of what is already out there for the VR30. I also agree 600+ seems to be easily achievable in the Qs with the pure turbos and fuel injectors/pumps on e85. Likely i'll start with fueling and see how far I can get before I plan a turbo upgrade. I'm hoping to go full e85, i was running e30 all the time in my mazdaspeed and dont really want to deal with the mixing again.