rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Never, but interested in the thread
the new z looks really good in so many different colors, its go me considering something i swore id never do again....buy a black vehicle

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I've been toying with the idea of wrapping my Evo, but would rather use those thousands of dollars to mod my Z. I do plan on wrapping the roof satin black. Think that would look good against the white.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I've been toying with the idea of wrapping my Evo, but would rather use those thousands of dollars to mod my Z. I do plan on wrapping the roof satin black. Think that would look good against the white.
Yea, I've seen wrapped cars, and they def look amazing, and require less maintenance then normal paint, but for me, if I can't get all the jambs, crevices etc wrapped as well, my OCD would make me rip the rest of the wrap off.

I've wrapped roofs, hoods, spoilers, chrome trims/accents, and can def say, it requires ALOT of patience unless you're a pro, and also good quality vinyl. On my 370z I had wrapped the front/rear fangs, and was planning on doing roof. On the new Z, if I can opt for a Pearl White Nismo, then i'd probably just wrap the roof black and leave the remaining red trim as is.

HLS30-49788

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 GT-R, 1997 Nissan pickup
Occupation
Looooong retired
I didn't have a full wrap, but had a car bra installed by SpeedShield in Dallas. They do great work, using the best products and carefully cut by hand, but nothing lasts forever.

I had the work done in 2009, to cover the front end, fenders, mirrors, and headlights. My GT-R has been parked outside ever since in north Texas, and it shows. It would take many days of work to remove the bra now, with solvents and plastic scrapers.

Last spring I had to remove the coatings on the headlights and get a buffing kit to remove the haze on the plastic, to pass inspection, and for safety. Looks as if headlight buffing may be an annual chore.

So if you get a bra or wrap, park the car inside and don't wait until the coating hardens and cracks before removing it.

Two photos attached:
The right front at night where the cracks show best, and
A closeup of the same area.

Good luck if you do either. BTW, you should have seen the condition of the black vinyl roof option on my 1972 240Z after 40 years and more, for those of you considering making a 400Z's roof black somehow.

Car bra close.jpg

Car bra full.jpg

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
What's this 400Z you speak of?

Most colors on the new Z come with painted black roofs, not vinyl. Anyways, vinyl nowadays is likely FAR better than what was available back in the 70s.

HLS30-49788

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 GT-R, 1997 Nissan pickup
Occupation
Looooong retired
What's this 400Z you speak of?

Most colors on the new Z come with painted black roofs, not vinyl. Anyways, vinyl nowadays is likely FAR better than what was available back in the 70s.
No matter what Corporate Nissan tries to brand it, it'll always be 400Z to me, as a former owner from 26 Jan 1972 thru 2008 of an original 240Z; VIN being my name.

Vinyl may be better now than 50 years ago, but paint still fades on plastic parts and ClearCoat chips off after 13+ years in the Texas sun. Obviously you haven't owned a Nissan Z or GT-R and left it out in the Tampa sun for over 13 years.

But best of luck in the future...

ClearCoat flaking.jpg

Sun-fade.jpg

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
No matter what Corporate Nissan tries to brand it, it'll always be 400Z to me, as a former owner from 26 Jan 1972 thru 2008 of an original 240Z; VIN being my name.

Vinyl may be better now than 50 years ago, but paint still fades on plastic parts and ClearCoat chips off after 13+ years in the Texas sun. Obviously you haven't owned a Nissan Z or GT-R and left it out in the Tampa sun for over 13 years.

But best of luck in the future...

ClearCoat flaking.jpg

Sun-fade.jpg
A lot of that just seems like lack of proper care.

Never left my Z or Evo out in the sun because I cared enough to garage them (or at the very least keep them covered and the paint protected). Even my Eclipse which was never garaged stayed protected somehow and had shitty red Mitsubishi paint which never faded, chipped, or anything like that. Just put cars I care about on the list of things I wouldn't leave out in the elements.

Well VIN, best of luck calling the Z a 400Z even though it doesn't have a 4 liter engine.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
A lot of that just seems like lack of proper care.

Never left my Z or Evo out in the sun because I cared enough to garage them (or at the very least keep them covered and the paint protected). Even my Eclipse which was never garaged stayed protected somehow and had shitty red Mitsubishi paint which never faded, chipped, or anything like that. Just put cars I care about on the list of things I wouldn't leave out in the elements.

Well VIN, best of luck calling the Z a 400Z even though it doesn't have a 4 liter engine.
Nah…I have to agree a little here.
In Australian sun that plastic fading is on about 50% of cars you see (in WA at least) even if you garage your car every night but are forced to park it in the sun for work (which a great deal of us are forced to do) your gonna get that fading.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Nah…I have to agree a little here.
In Australian sun that plastic fading is on about 50% of cars you see (in WA at least) even if you garage your car every night but are forced to park it in the sun for work (which a great deal of us are forced to do) your gonna get that fading.
I've had my Evo over 15 years and it's spent some time in the sun (especially in Hawaii and Korea) and have never dealt with any issues like that, and Mitsu paint is NOTORIOUSLY bad. The only vehicles I've had that have paint issues were ones I didn't care about and just didn't even try to protect (like my Jeep that's never seen the inside of a garage or a coat of wax in the three years I've had it in FL... hell, I've only washed it once lol).

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I've had my Evo over 15 years and it's spent some time in the sun (especially in Hawaii and Korea) and have never dealt with any issues like that, and Mitsu paint is NOTORIOUSLY bad. The only vehicles I've had that have paint issues were ones I didn't care about and just didn't even try to protect (like my Jeep that's never seen the inside of a garage or a coat of wax in the three years I've had it in FL... hell, I've only washed it once lol).
That’s great for you…but I’m telling you in the West Aussie sun, even after protection…your plastic deteriorates

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
That’s great for you…but I’m telling you in the West Aussie sun, even after protection…your plastic deteriorates
same in the texas sun...

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I was talking paint, not plastic