When will we see the new Z? / What Autoshow will new Z debut at?

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
NY show is this week. If they are waiting for dead silence to drop a bomb, now would be a good time. :)
Doubt it :( The Nissan press conference isn't even until the second day of the show. If they had a nice bomb to drop, they woulda gotten an early press conference on the first day.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3
No Z35 concept at NY show as expected :(

But Honda showed the Civic concept and also announced Type-R for the US finally. It's no Z but that was probably the most exciting thing announced at the show.

Robert

Nissan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Nissan 370Z, 2011 Nissan Sentra S
What We've Seen This Year:
The 2017 Tokyo Auto Show is just around the corner, scheduled to open its doors on October 27th. We saw Car & Driver's report that a future model is expected to debut this fall however we still have no confirmation on this.

At the 2017 New York Auto Show in April, the VP of Sales & Marketing told us that the Z "wasn't a priority", that the GT-R is Nissan's Halo car and that they should be more focused on developing that platform.

Finally at ZDayZ in May, we were unable to get any information from the Nissan Reps on the future of the Z.

My Take:
I'm not sure that we can trust the information provided by Car & Driver. They claimed a debut was on its way in fall but they did not cite any sources. It is rather discouraging to hear what the VP had to say in NY. Yes, the GT-R is undoubtedly the halo car of the brand but the Z is important in its own right, representing the affordable sports car market. I do not know what to make of the Reps reaction at ZDayZ, could be potential but they may also be unsure what direction the company is going with the car.

For those of you that don't know, the Nissan Heritage Edition has been posted on their website and I believe you can start placing orders. Personally, I don't think this is good news for the Z35. This seems to be an attempt to extend the life of the 370. I wouldn't think they would release a new edition just a couple months before revealing the next model.

Additionally, updated versions of the Leaf and Altima I believe have now been confirmed by Car & Driver. I suspect that much of Nissan's efforts have been devoted to these cars as they are a better market than the declining demand for two-seater coupes.

We have also seen a reshuffle of Nissan's design team, as lead designer Shiro Nakamura, who had held that the Z would forever be in Nissan's line up, stepped down in April.

Despite this, I do believe the Z has one thing going for it: Heritage. The original 240Z went on the market in October of 1969, meaning the 50th anniversary is two years away. I wouldn't think that Nissan would be quick to turn its back on the Z-Car with its important birthday fast approaching. Plus, we have seen the new VR30DDTT and the 2.0T engines spring up in the Q50's, which would be prime candidates for the power train in the new Z.

Summary:
I don't believe we will be seeing a potential Z replacement this year, however if I had to guess, I would think we may finally see a reveal some time next year, with plans to go into production in 2019, in time for the 50th anniversary.

Of course, I could be wrong (and I hope I am). It would be cool to see a reveal this year. I've already said that I would fly out to LA to go see the car if they do reveal it in Japan.

What are your thoughts?

Z San

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240SX
This could turn out to be right from the latest rumor mill news?? Hey if not 50th anniversary then when? I have to believe it is now or never.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Probably about some boring SUV EV. No reason to have a Z event in a place where sports cars are an infinitesimal part of the local market.

BJM2021

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2
Did some additional searching I believe its about the new xtrail

BJM2021

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2
Thats too bad but wont change our craziness for the Z !

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
I don't know if I can wait until Nov. I really wanted a new car this summer and was about to order a Challenger, but hear if you order one it could take up to 6 months. So I guess either find one on a lot that will suffice or wait it out until the Z arrives and check one out in person before I decide for sure.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Heard a rumour that although it is a Sunday in 2021, something might get announced on the 23rd as its an important day to Nissan and they have made previous announcements on this day...
This date has been doing the rounds...hope it’s true. Might wet my pants if it is