Z35 Pricing? Will the next Z Move upmarket?

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
I've been beating this drum over and over but NISSAN needs to price this thing CORRECTLY or it will get killed like the previous Z cars.

What can they do to make sure that happens? Limit the options for one. What else?

Ranma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rusty old Mitsu
Shared platform. I think there have been hints of a few more sports cars coming to Nissan's line up. If they can spread the costs of a new platform and have some common parts that can be used, it would really help towards making it affordable.

BluntForce

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
I've been beating this drum over and over but NISSAN needs to price this thing CORRECTLY or it will get killed like the previous Z cars.

What can they do to make sure that happens? Limit the options for one. What else?
Shared platform like @Ranma said is definitely one good option especially if they're going to make the entry level sports coupe like the idx concepts. They could also partner up with some other company to develop a platform like Toyota did with Subaru for the FR-S and they're doing with BMW for the Supra.

Other than that I dunno what they could do. They definitely need a new lighter platform for the Z, but there's no getting around how much a whole new platform costs. :(

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
I mean eventually Nissan is gonna have to bite the bullet and build a new lower cost and smaller sports car platform. There's no way around it unless they just don't want to enter that market.

You can't sell niche sports cars forever and expect to make any money.

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
Yea I think they will offer two new sports cars, maybe a few years apart, or none at all. Got to spread out the cost among different programs.

sun tzu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Shared platform like @Ranma said is definitely one good option especially if they're going to make the entry level sports coupe like the idx concepts. They could also partner up with some other company to develop a platform like Toyota did with Subaru for the FR-S and they're doing with BMW for the Supra.

Other than that I dunno what they could do. They definitely need a new lighter platform for the Z, but there's no getting around how much a whole new platform costs. :(
Team up with who though? Wasn't there a rumor they are doing so with the entry level sports car (IDX?) I hope it benefits the whole line up if they go that route.

Yolo2014

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang
The 400hp V6 turbo rumor has me real interested again. But I worry about the price. I've seen rumors that the Z35 pricing might be as high as $60k. That'd be moving the Z upmarket to compete with the M4 and that group of luxury sports coupes, which would be out of my budget :(

Do we have any indication if the Z35 will be cheaper, same, or higher priced than the 370Z?

Ultima

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
They're sure to lose a large group of loyal Z fans if that happens. I think this would be a mistake. Nissan needs an affordable sports coupe and unless they plan to go thru with plans for the IDx or another similar vehicle, it doesn't make sense to go upmarket with the Z.

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
I see no reason why it would move upmarket. There's already the GT-R sitting up there. The new turbo V6 shouldn't really add to the price of the car.

And from a marketing standpoint it doesn't make sense to move up into M4 territory. The Z35 will still be a Nissan badged car so they can't stick premium car pricing on it. Besides, the Q60 is supposed to compete with the M4 and they can charge premium pricing for the Infiniti badge.

Gunnerman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maxima, Toyota FJ
What will be interesting if the Z35 really does move upmarket, that might put it at the same segment and pricing as the upcoming new Supra. It'll be like the 90's again with the Z battling the Supra!

350ZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 350Z NISMO
What will be interesting if the Z35 really does move upmarket, that might put it at the same segment and pricing as the upcoming new Supra. It'll be like the 90's again with the Z battling the Supra!
All we need is a return of the long rumored next gen RX car and it'll be the glorious 90's rebooted :D

I Love Pho

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 BRZ
And from a marketing standpoint it doesn't make sense to move up into M4 territory. The Z35 will still be a Nissan badged car so they can't stick premium car pricing on it. Besides, the Q60 is supposed to compete with the M4 and they can charge premium pricing for the Infiniti badge.
+1 they just came out with the Q60 to battle the M4. Would make no sense to move the Z35 into the same segment. The GT-R still sells well under the Nissan badge despite its high price because the GT-R name carries so much cachet and the car's performance is segment leading.

OP
OP
Dantes

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
Yea the Supra is the halo sports car for Toyota but Nissan has the GTR so the Z will always stay comfortably under it. The price creep on the GTR does give the next Z a lot of wiggle room up top however. I'm hoping they realize it is a better strategy dropping the car's price to the low 30's be more competitive and provide an alternative to the mid tier sports cars like Mustang and Camaro.

Yolo2014

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang
Why change up the formula? It's worked for so long. Moving it upscale doesn't make it any easier to sell cars, probably the opposite. All the 370Z needs is a sexy new look and lose a few $$.