Z35 Differential

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
I like to see a better differential in the next Z. The VLSD wasn't too bad. But for those spirited drives and for myself track days the VLSD would just heat up and pretty much become an open diff or one wheel wonder. Man I'd really love to see a rear mounted transmission. But that's a dream of course.

Then my other delima is the OEM equipment is always decent but never what the aftermarket can offer and I know I'm all about modding my car. My 370 had an OS Giken 1.5 way diff and that was single handily the best mod I did.

Does anyone know what the new Q has? Is the diff and gearing the same as the previous models? I'd think with the extra power the gearing in the rear has to be different.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
2009 370Z S/T/N 7AT - 2015 GT-R BE
I'm with you on that. Love the fact that the sport package comes with the vlsd however like you stated once it's hot it's pretty much useless.

Hopefully the dct will have a cooler as well as a good oil cooler stock. but then again even that I switched and I love my 34 row I upgraded to.

OP
OP
SPOHN

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
Now what I have read from the new motor that's current in the Q it has electrical water pump, and electrical motor to adjust the timing. All which should help reducing temps. It also has been show that direct fuel injection has cooler cylinder temperatures. But like any other car the more you push it you will likely need a cooler anyways. Maybe.

Even having no manifolds being the turbos are attached to the heads themselves has to reduces heat in the bay. Even though there is a hot turbo there the reduced plumbing has to be huge improvement.

Last edited:

Angelo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z34 l E39 l F30
I like to see a better differential in the next Z. The VLSD wasn't too bad. But for those spirited drives and for myself track days the VLSD would just heat up and pretty much become an open diff or one wheel wonder. Man I'd really love to see a rear mounted transmission. But that's a dream of course.

Then my other delima is the OEM equipment is always decent but never what the aftermarket can offer and I know I'm all about modding my car. My 370 had an OS Giken 1.5 way diff and that was single handily the best mod I did.

Does anyone know what the new Q has? Is the diff and gearing the same as the previous models? I'd think with the extra power the gearing in the rear has to be different.
I take my Z, to the Nurburgring occasionally; and while the OEM differential is adequate, I noticed the inside wheels just spin at certain corners. I'm glad you mentioned OS Giken, as I've always wanted to purchase an aftermarket differential. Did you upgrade to an OS Giken clutch as well?

OP
OP
SPOHN

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
I take my Z, to the Nurburgring occasionally; and while the OEM differential is adequate, I noticed the inside wheels just spin at certain corners. I'm glad you mentioned OS Giken, as I've always wanted to purchase an aftermarket differential. Did you upgrade to an OS Giken clutch as well?
No I didn't. They are to pricy for for having just a NA motor.