Z1 S Pro Coilovers Clunky Sound Issues

Arashi_z_

First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan sport z
For anyone considering these coilovers, beware that the s pro line has had some quality issues with the rear shocks-at least one being clunky sounding over bumps.

The quality of the product seems good out of the box. Packaging is nice, hardware etc looks like good quality.

Installation is fairly easy if you’ve done springs or coils before. Very straightforward. Although it’s interesting that they tell you to check the top nuts on the shocks and struts before install-seems like manufacturing quality control issues from distributor? Or they are continuously seeing returns from noises and maybe deducing that it’s from loose top nuts. All nuts were tight on my set up (except the replacement shock, it came loosely set up, not sure why they wouldn’t have these torqued down from factory prior to ship).

Clunk sound-I’ve driven on these for over 2-3 weeks now. Passenger rear shock had a clunk loose sound, talked to z1 and they said check the nut and install. Double checked everything and it was all good. Set the firmness to a little harder and noise was still apparent. Z1 said they have had this Issue with other sets of their S Pro line, but stated it was minimal. They make you pay $150 for the new shock and reimburse you when you send the old one back.

The ride quality does seem good from what I’ve experienced. Firm in the front and softer in the rear so the rear can squat for spirited driving. It’s a very similar ride quality to stock, so if it’s your daily driver I do think you’d enjoy them.

If I went back, I’d buy another brand. Any issue straight out of the box has me concerned with quality and long term durability. Only time will tell.

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
For anyone considering these coilovers, beware that the s pro line has had some quality issues with the rear shocks-at least one being clunky sounding over bumps.

The quality of the product seems good out of the box. Packaging is nice, hardware etc looks like good quality.

Installation is fairly easy if you’ve done springs or coils before. Very straightforward. Although it’s interesting that they tell you to check the top nuts on the shocks and struts before install-seems like manufacturing quality control issues from distributor? Or they are continuously seeing returns from noises and maybe deducing that it’s from loose top nuts. All nuts were tight on my set up (except the replacement shock, it came loosely set up, not sure why they wouldn’t have these torqued down from factory prior to ship).

Clunk sound-I’ve driven on these for over 2-3 weeks now. Passenger rear shock had a clunk loose sound, talked to z1 and they said check the nut and install. Double checked everything and it was all good. Set the firmness to a little harder and noise was still apparent. Z1 said they have had this Issue with other sets of their S Pro line, but stated it was minimal. They make you pay $150 for the new shock and reimburse you when you send the old one back.

The ride quality does seem good from what I’ve experienced. Firm in the front and softer in the rear so the rear can squat for spirited driving. It’s a very similar ride quality to stock, so if it’s your daily driver I do think you’d enjoy them.

If I went back, I’d buy another brand. Any issue straight out of the box has me concerned with quality and long term durability. Only time will tell.
Bro….that sounds way worse than a minimal CLUNK! Is that riding on the new strut in the rear?

OP
OP
Arashi_z_

Arashi_z_

First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan sport z
Bro….that sounds way worse than a minimal CLUNK! Is that riding on the new strut in the rear?
yeah all new stuff. I have the replacement and should have it in this weekend to see if it resolves. It’s annoying affff lol. Another personal has feal or feel coils and has same clanking clunking.

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
yeah all new stuff. I have the replacement and should have it in this weekend to see if it resolves. It’s annoying affff lol. Another personal has feal or feel coils and has same clanking clunking.
I had the same thing happen on my S2000 back in the day (think they were Buddy Club Race Spec coilovers) and it used to DRIVE ME CRAZY!

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Ya, that’s too much clunk for me

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
I had HKS coilover on my 350Z and they made the same noise. I think its just a Z thing. The Ohlins on my Supra make no noise....

First Name
Braendel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Nissan Z , 17 BNR2867 Focus ST, 09 BMW 328xi
Occupation
Dumbass
Yup....same car, same coilovers, same massive problem. Not happy that my brand new car sounds like a fuckin jalopy driving over bumps.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Yup....same car, same coilovers, same massive problem. Not happy that my brand new car sounds like a fuckin jalopy driving over bumps.
Yeah that clunk is insane! No way I could stand that on a daily basis. Has Z1 gotten back to anyone on a fix?

Hammo25

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi A5
@Arashi_z_ did the new coilivers fix the problem?

OP
OP
Arashi_z_

Arashi_z_

First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan sport z
@Hammo25 yes. I had one rear shock I sent back for a replacement and it did solve the issue. They charge you for it til they get the returned one just a heads up. However, in cold weather I notice these to still get “some” minor noises.

Hammo25

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi A5
@Hammo25 yes. I had one rear shock I sent back for a replacement and it did solve the issue. They charge you for it til they get the returned one just a heads up. However, in cold weather I notice these to still get “some” minor noises.
I’m in Australia so don’t think I’ll take the risk. Will have to find local option. Thanks for letting me know.

Jacwee

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2014 Evo X GSR
Just installed my set of S Pro coilovers this weekend and I am experiencing the same issue. Not a good look for this to seemingly be a frequent enough issue where there are multiple reports of it. Currently waiting to hear back how they will make it right. I'm hoping I will be able to return them outright, as I'm feeling the same as you said. Having an issue like this with a brand new part does not bode well for overall quality.

How have yours seemed to hold up since you installed them last year?

goeagles11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Z
I might be alone on this but I don’t buy Z1 parts. The quality/R&D doesn’t seem like it’s there.

Jacwee

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2014 Evo X GSR
I might be alone on this but I don’t buy Z1 parts. The quality/R&D doesn’t seem like it’s there.
Yeah I'm kind of getting this impression. Being new to the Z platform, I was unfamiliar with them, but unfortunately this experience hasn't given me confidence.

KCZ

First Name
KCZ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z, Evora, Boxster, Jeep, Xterra.
C.jizzle's thread about his install of these didn't mention abnormal noises.

Mine have been sitting in a box all winter waiting for installation. Hmm.