Z with VR30DDTT twin-turbo V6 3.0L good for 400-500hp?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
To that I say....

Not once did I have to do anything to a VQ35HR (4 years) or VQ37VHR (4 years) aside from Oil/Plug/Air Filters/Fluids.

I don't even wanna get into what my N54 needed in 2 years, I will say it needed more attention than my VQ's combined, it's starting to come to light the B58 needs TLC as well.

Only VR30 Issues I've heard about are the early ones (16-17) eat serpentine belts.
Add turbo issues for 16-18 model years.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Do you also suffer from PTSD caused by The Ding?

I would be willing to grab another one for a "Toy" if we still had normal, pre covid car pricing.....I'd be willing to bet they would be in the 10-15k range by now but, at the time that sucker was my DAILY lol

I couldn't take it anymore, the 2 years I had it I put more miles on loaner cars than I did my own car.

I knew getting rid of the 40th Anni. 370Z was a mistake when....I was at a car meet and the other BMW guys were rating dealerships based on loaner car selection - I'm not kidding.

Add turbo issues for 16-18 model years.
You're right - more and more of that is popping up.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I knew getting rid of the 40th Anni. 370Z was a mistake when....I was at a car meet and the other BMW guys were rating dealerships based on loaner car selection - I'm not kidding.
up.
Haha! I know the feeling, having owned a 2016 GTI, I quite often was like "oh please dear God not another Jetta!"

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Do you also suffer from PTSD caused by The Ding?

I would be willing to grab another one for a "Toy" if we still had normal, pre covid car pricing.....I'd be willing to bet they would be in the 10-15k range by now but, at the time that sucker was my DAILY lol

I couldn't take it anymore, the 2 years I had it I put more miles on loaner cars than I did my own car.

You're right - more and more of that is popping up.
Yeah, I'm still horrible about wearing my seatbelt so I have to listen to it multiple times per day for minutes on end. I believe that you can code it out but I've been too lazy to research and do it. I need to code my blinkers for LCI taillights as well since I have an older FRM module and it thinks there's a bulb out. I get the fast blinker sound which is pretty annoying with the ding/gong at the same time.

Really any of the N54 powered cars make great toys especially if you can do the work yourself. Pre covid I saw some pre-LCI 335i's going for around $5-6k. I'm sure they were beat to death, but you could probably get away with putting $3-4k into them, do the work yourself and have a temporarily reliable 400-500 whp car easy. Right now I see only 8 manual trans N54 powered 335i/335is coupes for sale in the country and the cheapest is $12k. I bet it needs $7k in parts & labor. The cheapest M/T Z4 35i on AutoTrader is $25k and there's only 7 for sale total.

Rating dealers based on loaners... sounds about right for that group ? I wouldn't know as I've only taken it to the dealer once for a couple recalls and all I was offered was a shuttle.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
The cheapest M/T Z4 35i on AutoTrader is $25k and there's only 7 for sale total.
If it's even really a manual, 9 times outta 10 "Manual" E89s on AutoTrader are actually DCTs, Manual Z4s are crazy rare because the E89 was only ever built to order - they never kept them in "stock"