First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
Since the 300zx in 1990, you would of thought nissan would of fixed all the cooling issues with all the newer Z generations. Here is a great idea Nissan, make your air dams bigger like all other manufacturers. ?

Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK7 GTI (Sold)
It goes without saying, therefore I will say it, If the Z heat exchangers support the hp increase some of us are looking for with a tune and downpipes (475-500) without having to buy and install aftermarket ones, that would be great!

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
It goes without saying, therefore I will say it, If the Z heat exchangers support the hp increase some of us are looking for with a tune and downpipes (475-500) without having to buy and install aftermarket ones, that would be great!
I'm dubious about the snout on the Z being large enough to allow effective heat management at increased power levels. You can run upgraded coolers and fans, but damn if that rectangle just seems too small for enough airflow above stock.

Xeno

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 Pontiac Trans Am, 1968 Chevrolet C10
Occupation
Mechatronics Engineer
By the time the Z comes out close to summer time we shall see if any track reviews bring up any ugly cooling problems. After all twin turbo FI do need to manage heat properly, critical.

Fingers crossed, keep updating this thread?
This didn’t age too well

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
I'm dubious about the snout on the Z being large enough to allow effective heat management at increased power levels. You can run upgraded coolers and fans, but damn if that rectangle just seems too small for enough airflow above stock.
Agree, the slits off to the side should employ additional intakes.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
In addition to larger HE and oil cooler, another option would be to use a larger capacity oil pan, such the aluminum one dropbear offers for the red sport - assuming no clearance issues with the Z.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
First time I have ever heard anyone call that massive snout "small" lol. I guess compared to the latest 4 series....

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
First time I have ever heard anyone call that massive snout "small" lol. I guess compared to the latest 4 series....
It is small. Nearly half of the rectangular opening is actually bumper bar that's not open.

I'm not saying it's a "problem" per se, just be aware that styling may have taken precedence over generous cooling capacity

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
I'm a little late to this discussion, but was listing to Jason Cammisa on his podcast about the Z, and he was remarking that they absolutely abused the shit out of the Z during filming of the Icons episode (lots of short burst into breaking runs) and it didn't show any signs of overheating.

He also referenced testing he'd done on the Q50 Redsport previously, and apparently they had cooked like 3 cars due to overheating...

I'd say whatever Nissan have done with the Z, it's working.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
All of these Z's are being flogged during summer, and I haven't heard one single reviewer mention overheating. Also, the Akebononos, whilst not great, are holding up too.

I remember the first reviews of the 370Z, they were crashing into walls after massive brake fade, and they'd even overheat, despite being NA.

Seems Nissan got some things right this time around........

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I remember the first reviews of the 370Z, they were crashing into walls after massive brake fade, and they'd even overheat, despite being NA.

Seems Nissan got some things right this time around........
Yeah, I was and remain shocked at the 370's overheating issues. It's not an "all the time" problem but for a modern free-breathing engine like the 3.7 it's rather confusing. I'm glad that nobody has yet identified such an issue with the new Z's setup, that's very encouraging.

Heavy Dupree

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 AMG C63S, 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Retired
In addition to their heat exchanger, AMS is also protyping better intercoolers top side

@ 3:19

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
Hopefully the Nismo comes with more than a catback, aero, upgraded intercooler, oil cooler, transmission cooler and interior 🙄