First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus ES350
Occupation
Manufacturer of limited edition, 1/24 and 1/43 replicas
Being a life long Lotus person, I am really torn between the new Z and the upcoming Lotus Emira. Both are mid-engine (front versus rear), have 400hp, and look on paper at least to be quantifiably similar. Except one is $40-$50k versus $85 to $95k at introduction. Any thoughts?

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
wait ...the Z isnt mid engine nor front wheel drive

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
wait ...the Z isnt mid engine nor front wheel drive
Read closer...OP didn't say front wheel drive. Often when people are speaking of mid engine they refer to rear mid engine. There is also front mid engine e.g. S2000. Basically the engine weight needs to be between the front and rear axles. I believe for the 370z 90% of the engine weight is behind the front axle, so it's not considered mid engine (front). Assuming the Z follows suit, it too, will not be mid engine.

OP - these are two completely different cars in two completely different leagues. One makes skaters go cool, the other makes panties drop. I'll let you figure out which is which :)

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
oh gez lol that what i get for reading and trying to make phone calls.. lol i swear to god i saw front wheel drive lol

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Yeah, I don't think it's quite fair to compare the two on such a limited set of benchmarks—outside of maybe creature comforts (including ride quality, etc.), I'd imagine the Lotus would take the Z behind the shed and, well, ya know.

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
If you get an Emira, you’ll be glad you were already divorced…. so yeah I vote Emira.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Being a life long Lotus person, I am really torn between the new Z and the upcoming Lotus Emira. Both are mid-engine (front versus rear), have 400hp, and look on paper at least to be quantifiably similar. Except one is $40-$50k versus $85 to $95k at introduction. Any thoughts?
If the Emira was only 85-95k in Aus I’d hands down get it.
Unfortunately it’s going to be closer to 250k in Australia, and first two building slots are sold out.
Get the Emira, it’s a better car

Duchess

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi S6
Occupation
Trade Compliance
If the Emira was only 85-95k in Aus I’d hands down get it.
Unfortunately it’s going to be closer to 250k in Australia, and first two building slots are sold out.
Get the Emira, it’s a better car
Basically this ^^^

If I could get an Emira for anywhere close to Z money, I'd take it.