What's in the news today... (NO COVID / POLITICS)

orclean1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
civic
OMG 43 people lost their life's in NY / NJ . Lets all keep things in prospective. We are lucky to be able to talk about the Z . When I get mine Z gonna use it as a way to raise money for those that lost everything ! Happy Holiday to all

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
Good think they are predicting Larry will turn right back out and stay a fish storm.
Larry is not good name for a storm if it was to become a threat. Not very intimidating. And strangely, that can actually affect human perceptions of the threat.

I wonder if there will ever be a hurricane Cody.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I’ll weigh in, but of course I’m only one.

I think it’s a good idea.
Not sure how much you know what’s been going on with China and Aus of late, but it’s been pretty bad.
Our prime minister was the first to call for a independent inquiry into where covid came from.
Since the it’s been on like Donkey Kong, they imposed trade tariffs and stopped buying a lot of our exports which seemed to be devastating at the time because they are our number one trade partners, however the PM and trade minister worked hard and managed to flog off most of our wares to other countries and in the end all but a few industries ( mainly wine and Lobster) are now actually making more money
So then the went after our soldiers splashing them around the world and stating they were murders in Afghanistan ect.
So then some of the deals that were pre iously made with them such as a big train line were ripped up.

The problem is Aus has let China bully them for too long, they bought strategic land ( like an airstrip at the top of the country right near one of our airforce bases) and dictated what we could sell and for how much.
Once things turned sour with us they then tried to engage Papa New Guinea to build a major port on their shores
AHD of course continue to build their islands to stretch out their territory.

In addition our universities are one of China’s biggest hubs as they don’t have enough to educate all their young people, and they have been caught out asking students to spy on not just Aussie students but other Chinese students, and to infiltrate clubs etc to run as they see fit

They also fish in our waters and diminish the marine life, and until now we haven’t said much

It all came to a head with Covid. And then the cyber attacks started…no one is sure if it’s them but it seems obvious and we also have now had Aus citizens imprissoned for no clear reason

Don’t get me wrong…Chinese people =good, Chinese government = trouble.

Now these subs are basically not meant for carrying nuclear weapons ( or so they say) they are supposedly nuclear because they are much quieter cheaper to run, and more environmentally friendly than diesel.
China has many, yet they tell. Australia they can not and are causing tension by buying them.

At the end of the day we are a small nation with a very small armed forces. We need to have some way of keeping safe, we need to be able to run our country as we see fit not as China wants us to run it , and yes that also means building ties ( although they were already there) with nations that we have worked with before.

It’s really only a big deal if China makes it one , because no way would Aus invade China ….its the flip side that is worrying

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I’ll weigh in, but of course I’m only one.

I think it’s a good idea.
Not sure how much you know what’s been going on with China and Aus of late, but it’s been pretty bad.
Our prime minister was the first to call for a independent inquiry into where covid came from.
Since the it’s been on like Donkey Kong, they imposed trade tariffs and stopped buying a lot of our exports which seemed to be devastating at the time because they are our number one trade partners, however the PM and trade minister worked hard and managed to flog off most of our wares to other countries and in the end all but a few industries ( mainly wine and Lobster) are now actually making more money
So then the went after our soldiers splashing them around the world and stating they were murders in Afghanistan ect.
So then some of the deals that were pre iously made with them such as a big train line were ripped up.

The problem is Aus has let China bully them for too long, they bought strategic land ( like an airstrip at the top of the country right near one of our airforce bases) and dictated what we could sell and for how much.
Once things turned sour with us they then tried to engage Papa New Guinea to build a major port on their shores
AHD of course continue to build their islands to stretch out their territory.

In addition our universities are one of China’s biggest hubs as they don’t have enough to educate all their young people, and they have been caught out asking students to spy on not just Aussie students but other Chinese students, and to infiltrate clubs etc to run as they see fit

They also fish in our waters and diminish the marine life, and until now we haven’t said much

It all came to a head with Covid. And then the cyber attacks started…no one is sure if it’s them but it seems obvious and we also have now had Aus citizens imprissoned for no clear reason

Don’t get me wrong…Chinese people =good, Chinese government = trouble.

Now these subs are basically not meant for carrying nuclear weapons ( or so they say) they are supposedly nuclear because they are much quieter cheaper to run, and more environmentally friendly than diesel.
China has many, yet they tell. Australia they can not and are causing tension by buying them.

At the end of the day we are a small nation with a very small armed forces. We need to have some way of keeping safe, we need to be able to run our country as we see fit not as China wants us to run it , and yes that also means building ties ( although they were already there) with nations that we have worked with before.

It’s really only a big deal if China makes it one , because no way would Aus invade China ….its the flip side that is worrying
I used to live in China for many years, and my best friends in China were Aussies.
We still own a home in Shanghai.
The situation in China has deteriorated so badly. I won't elaborate, but in USA some of us are aware of Aus/China issues.

We just received an email from my son's school saying that a TikTok video is promoting vandalism at our schools, and destruction of COVID testing equipment at the schools. Oh, the irony. A Chinese social media platform, TikTok, getting American kids to destroy supplies used for a virus that came from China. Almost impossible to say anything about it without someone labeling you.

Here's the email from our school:
Dear Mukilteo School District families,

Some of you may have heard of a recent “devious licks challenge” on the social media app Tik Tok where individuals are encouraging others to steal or damage school property. Students are stealing things from their campuses such as soap dispensers, towel dispensers, teachers’ personal property and even COVID tests. This is happening nationwide, and our schools are also experiencing theft and vandalism as a result. We’ve already had several paper towel dispensers and soap dispensers turn up missing or get torn off the wall and thrown in the toilets. At least one fire extinguisher has also turned up missing.

Please talk with your child about the very real consequences of this “challenge” and the negative effects of peer pressure sometimes found on social media. This is a good opportunity to discuss with your child appropriate technology use and being socially responsible. Please emphasize that any theft or vandalism to school property has consequences, including potential suspension, fines and even criminal charges. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain our schools and help children understand how to respect school property. It is especially important now when custodial and other staff are working extra hard to maintain clean buildings with the increased risks from COVID-19. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mukilteo School District

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I used to live in China for many years, and my best friends in China were Aussies.
We still own a home in Shanghai.
The situation in China has deteriorated so badly. I won't elaborate, but in USA some of us are aware of Aus/China issues.

We just received an email from my son's school saying that a TikTok video is promoting vandalism at our schools, and destruction of COVID testing equipment at the schools. Oh, the irony. A Chinese social media platform, TikTok, getting American kids to destroy supplies used for a virus that came from China. Almost impossible to say anything about it without someone labeling you.

Here's the email from our school:
Dear Mukilteo School District families,

Some of you may have heard of a recent “devious licks challenge” on the social media app Tik Tok where individuals are encouraging others to steal or damage school property. Students are stealing things from their campuses such as soap dispensers, towel dispensers, teachers’ personal property and even COVID tests. This is happening nationwide, and our schools are also experiencing theft and vandalism as a result. We’ve already had several paper towel dispensers and soap dispensers turn up missing or get torn off the wall and thrown in the toilets. At least one fire extinguisher has also turned up missing.

Please talk with your child about the very real consequences of this “challenge” and the negative effects of peer pressure sometimes found on social media. This is a good opportunity to discuss with your child appropriate technology use and being socially responsible. Please emphasize that any theft or vandalism to school property has consequences, including potential suspension, fines and even criminal charges. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain our schools and help children understand how to respect school property. It is especially important now when custodial and other staff are working extra hard to maintain clean buildings with the increased risks from COVID-19. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mukilteo School District
Unfortunately it’s the same throughout history, when things go bad in your country…create a distraction and try to blame another country for the issues…if that fails look at starting a war, nothing creates a bigger distraction than a war and builds hate against the nation which you are fighting.

I try to be impartial ( obviously hard being Australia) but to me the Chinese language and position, especially being spouted through their media mouth piece is very divisive and inflammatory.
All we ever really wanted was to find where Covid really came from, so it never happens again.

As I said you only need to look at Australia’s size to realise and “threat” to China is ridiculous… the only threat is from China to smaller countries particularly those like ours that are rich in mineral wealth

The only issue this does raise is now it’s made Indonesia feel uneasy, but they need not be …we have always been greAt friends with them, and supported them through natural disasters etc…this move is nothing other than to build ties incase another nation decides to invade

It’s interesting, with the rise of terrorism, I thought traditional wars were a thing of the past…unfortunately it’s something that has still not faded into the background indefinitely

Last edited: