First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I've been thinking about this, knowing Z prices are creeping up and over $60K for a well equipped Performance, never mind the Proto or upcoming Nismo. Also been observing performances in streets and local track day events where dedicated run groups exist now. If Musk comes out with a rebodied Model 3 Dual Motor as a sports car or coupe, I mean nothing exotic like the Roadster, but includes stickier tires and recalibrated suspension, and most important keeping prices $55-65K, would you consider? Superchargers are coming up everywhere now. The launches of those Dual Motors are insane, you all know that. Plus this is really the future direction.

I would consider it as a viable option.

1660509543902.png

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I've been thinking about this, knowing Z prices are creeping up and over $60K for a well equipped Performance, never mind the Proto or upcoming Nismo. Also been observing performances in streets and local track day events where dedicated run groups exist now. If Musk comes out with a rebodied Model 3 Dual Motor as a sports car or coupe, I mean nothing exotic like the Roadster, but includes stickier tires and recalibrated suspension, and most important keeping prices $55-65K, would you consider? Superchargers are coming up everywhere now. The launches of those Dual Motors are insane, you all know that. Plus this is really the future direction.

I would consider it as a viable option.

1660509543902.png
I have always resisted Tesla.

However, a valid point in Tesla's favor....all the other differences notwithstanding, in this time of crazy ADMs and mark-ups, Tesla pricing is fixed. You will have to wait, but I wouldn't mind the wait at all if it meant I didn't get ass-pounded by a shitty dealership!

There's a TON of reasons I don't like Tesla's, I'm not gonna rehash them here. But, obviously straight-line performance is insane, and I think the Model 3 Dual Motor Performance model is fairly priced, almost seems like a steal compared to the ACTUAL OTD prices of everything else these days.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Dreaming...no dual motor sports car is going to be less than six figures.

Why? Because they can...

MycarisZ

First Name
Mohammed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda Miata
Occupation
Project Manager
Would not consider that but reconsider obtaining a Porsche instead.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Absolutely would.

Metal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8
Occupation
Engineer - Telecom
I wouldn't strictly because my local track and the only other two tracks even within a reasonable distance from me don't allow EV's, because they can't put them out if they catch on fire. So now I have to have a daily and a track car, which the money I'd save on gas wouldn't equate the cost of a whole other car.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
no for me...

just too set in my ways and the kind of cars i love. i understand that ev's are the way of the future...just not my future if i can help it...

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
There's a TON of reasons I don't like Tesla's, I'm not gonna rehash them here. But, obviously straight-line performance is insane, and I think the Model 3 Dual Motor Performance model is fairly priced, almost seems like a steal compared to the ACTUAL OTD prices of everything else these days.
It's not just straight line performance, as I've seen on plenty track days here. They're very capable with their adaptive suspension. It was charging that was the biggest issue then, but I see more and more Superchargers installed near tracks, where you can easily 'top off' between sessions.

Dreaming...no dual motor sports car is going to be less than six figures.

Why? Because they can...
I don't see why one can be built using the same Model 3 underpinnings, just a basic re-body, nothing exotic. If there is a market, Tesla can surely deliver way under six figures. Just being optimistic.

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer
I'm Going to Just Drop This Gas Can On This Dumpster Fire . . .

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
EVs have undeniable performance, but I just can't get on board with them as a 'fun' car. Hopefully it's something manufacturers are considering as everything moves toward electrification.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
EVs have undeniable performance, but I just can't get on board with them as a 'fun' car. Hopefully it's something manufacturers are considering as everything moves toward electrification.
I don't look at a boring sedan as fun, even if it can accelerate fast, regardless of petrol or electric. My hope for electric is the motor/storage cost and size comes down sufficiently, to allow fitting into a greater selection of vehicles new and old. (Meaning from the manufacturers and also for garage hobbyists.) It won't be same as petrol/shifting, but could open up other avenues of fun.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
I don't look at a boring sedan as fun, even if it can accelerate fast, regardless of petrol or electric. My hope for electric is the motor/storage cost and size comes down sufficiently, to allow fitting into a greater selection of vehicles new and old. (Meaning from the manufacturers and also for garage hobbyists.) It won't be same as petrol/shifting, but could open up other avenues of fun.
We know this is bound to happen and the modularity of electric power units are awesome. My thoughts since the Model Y and 3 share the same basic platform, why not come up with a two door sports car or coupe with much better aero using most of the same interior bits, with additional tweaking to make it a better performer. Again, nothing exotic to make it economically affordable.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
It is interesting how some tracks welcome them and then others are pulling back because of fire risk

I have seen some 3s and at least one plaid at track events.
I know there are some programing bugs and or some issues with handling with out an LSD. Instead of an LSD the computer "brakes" one axles or another to try and simulate the same effort. But instead of "locking" braking is losing speed.

I have seen some race teams jump in the 3 series game and then right back out.

It is coming, just not here yet and I don't want to be a frustrated guinea pig