What car do you think is the MAIN competitor to the new Z?

OP
OP
Andaesthetics

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Is it telling that the most active thread at present, is the one talking about alternatives?
Probably because Nissan has been taking unreasonably long to show us the car. Imagine they made us wait all this time and deliver a car that is below par compared to its competitors.

GOTTHEFUZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Kia K5, 2021Kia forte GT, 2012 Mustang 5.0
Occupation
CNC machinist in the military Aerospace industry
Probably because Nissan has been taking unreasonably long to show us the car. Imagine they made us wait all this time and deliver a car that is below par compared to its competitors.
So far it's been nine months since Nissan first spoke about the Z proto, and truth be told most of the information we even have of this car has been from leaks.

I can't say if that's long or not because I never really cared about vehicle releases like that, but it definitely feels long, and the vague responses really don't help.

Philosophy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
So far it's been nine months since Nissan first spoke about the Z proto, and truth be told most of the information we even have of this car has been from leaks.

I can't say if that's long or not because I never really cared about vehicle releases like that, but it definitely feels long, and the vague responses really don't help.
It's not long at all by industry standards. The typical time between prototype unveiling to production can be 3-5 years. It can vary though, I think the Tesla Roadster prototype unveiling was in 2006- so, it can really vary. (production issues can happen)
The main difference to me is that Nissan advertised the Z Proto as near production state. This, I think, is why people have set their expectations so high for a production/spec announcement. The Z proto was announced in September 2020, so only 9 months have passed, as you pointed out. Relatively speaking, it's still pretty early to expect final values and production.
On top of that, I suspect we're in a bit of a production hell with logistics still recovering from the pandemic, so delays are expected- some car manufacturers have fleets of vehicles awaiting superconductors. Nissan is also in turbulent times.

I guess I'm the Nissan shill of the forum at this point but in my mind there's nothing unreasonable about the wait time just yet. If Nissan hasn't released new information at the year mark, so by September, it might feel a little less reasonable to me. Unreasonable seems to me to be at one and a half or two years.

GOTTHEFUZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Kia K5, 2021Kia forte GT, 2012 Mustang 5.0
Occupation
CNC machinist in the military Aerospace industry
It's not long at all by industry standards. The typical time between prototype unveiling to production can be 3-5 years. It can vary though, I think the Tesla Roadster prototype unveiling was in 2006- so, it can really vary. (production issues can happen)
The main difference to me is that Nissan advertised the Z Proto as near production state. This, I think, is why people have set their expectations so high for a production/spec announcement. The Z proto was announced in September 2020, so only 9 months have passed, as you pointed out. Relatively speaking, it's still pretty early to expect final values and production.
On top of that, I suspect we're in a bit of a production hell with logistics still recovering from the pandemic, so delays are expected- some car manufacturers have fleets of vehicles awaiting superconductors. Nissan is also in turbulent times.

I guess I'm the Nissan shill of the forum at this point but in my mind there's nothing unreasonable about the wait time just yet. If Nissan hasn't released new information at the year mark, so by September, it might feel a little less reasonable to me. Unreasonable seems to me to be at one and a half or two years.
My main issue is they haven't released a price bracket they're aiming for, every other manufacturer does this, Toyota did it with the GR86 ford did it with that new Maverick.

It can take as long as it wants as long as I know it's even worth buying or not, all I want is a rough estimate of the base price.

Philosophy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
My main issue is they haven't released a price bracket they're aiming for, every other manufacturer does this, Toyota did it with the GR86 ford did it with that new Maverick.

It can take as long as it wants as long as I know it's even worth buying or not, all I want is a rough estimate of the base price.
Where did you see Toyota release a bracket price? Everywhere I've seen has noted that Toyota still hasn't announced a price. The most I've seen is estimated prices by different news reporters. In fact, you have places like KBB reporting "While Toyota has yet to announced prices for the revamp of the 86, we expect them to come in close to the current base price of about $27,000." While Carbuzz expects it to be at $31,000.
It looks a lot like the varying estimations on the Nissan Z. Nothing official, everything speculation.
The one thing Toyota has done is release the specs when they unveiled the production models of the GR 86.
I wonder if Nissan will confirm the price when they unveil the production model?

It looks like it was the same case with the Maverick and they only released prices recently while also opening up orders (this seems to be the industry practice.)

What is encouraging is that Nissan has said in interviews about the Z that they want it to be "attainable" like the 240z was.
Hopefully this means a sub $40K price, as I think that upwards of $40K moves it out of averagely attainable. The U.S. median income is what, $30Kish?

Last edited:

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
The average household income is almost 69k, but average individual is about 36k.
Neither the average household nor the average individual is buying this car regardless of its price.

Attainability is a relative term. I once heard the Global VP of Product Planning for Nissan North America call the GT-R an "attainable" supercar.

In the case of these guys, "attainable" is PR speak for "we won't tell you how much it is, but we if we give you a price point that's beyond your perceived threshold of affordability for this segment without detailed tech specs you'll completely stop paying attention."

abm89

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 370Z | 2016 WRX
Call me weird, but the car that has caught my attention is the new GR 86. I'm waiting to see how well that new 2.4L engine handles boost, but I want something lighter if I go for another sports car. The problem I've experienced with my Z on the track is all down to the weight of the car. N/A Tuned, the power is fine for me (330hp wheel); it's the fact that I cannot keep up with cars like the GT4 out of slow corners.

Metal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8
Occupation
Engineer - Telecom

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I hate clickbait titles so much. Most of that article is convincing people to buy the Z more
Agreed, but some of the "Why you wouldn't" parts are pretty comical. Even when complimenting the Mk5 they have to throw in that it looks like it’s driven over a fire hydrant :D