What car do you think is the MAIN competitor to the new Z?

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
No offense to those who love Supra.
The A70 ('90) was my dream car as a college student but I could not afford one.
The A80 just looked strange to me. It appealed to a crowd w/o me in it.
The J29/A90 continues what 2nd gen looked like. Even worse... it has unreliable BMW stuff in it.

I used to own an E39 540iA for 8 yrs.
I lost count of how many issues I had with that thing.
It was great when it ran, though.
First gen meaning the Celica Supra?
And second gen meaning the MK3 square body 7m supra?
I think he's talking about when the Supra became it's own model. Some people do view the A40 and A60 as a higher trim Celica and not a real "Supra".

Captain_Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?

240SX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14
Disagree that Nissan should ignore the twins (BRZ & 86) as competitors. With its new engine the twins' acceleration will be much better. Not as good as the Z's of course but then it will likely handle better - the current twins are found in all review comparisons to handle better than the 370Z. (And as good as if not better than an MX-5, see the recent Grassroots Motorsports video review of a 2020 86.)

So in cross shopping as I am you are looking at likely tradeoffs, more power and highway cruising comfort versus more agility and reponsiveness. Looking forward to reviews of both.
Probably because the twin's chassis is newer. There is only so much Nissan can do with the 20 yo FM platform.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
86s and BRZ are dime a dozen in Aus...every second teenage boy is driving one.
Kinda takes the appeal out of it for me.

That’s the only reason I’ll be sad to see my Peugeot RCZ Type R go...believe I have 1 of two in the state, and the only black one, which feels pretty special...perhaps I’ll sell her to my eldest to keep her in the family

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
This might come as a little surprise to some with all the fun poking I do with the Zupra. I don't think the 3.0 is over priced. It's like what, $14k less than a M40i Z4? It's a BMW after all and for a German car I think it's priced pretty well. It's power and 0-60 time is also underrated. It's chassis and build quality is on a higher level of both the Stang and Z. The 4 banger on the other hand :rolleyes:

Where I think Toyota went wrong:

1. Calling it a Supra. Imo, they would have been better off with the 2000GT name or something new altogether.
2. No manual. Wait, I thought this was a sports car?
3. A 4 banger that no one asked for. They could have at least used the Celica nameplate.
4. Should have keep the 2020 MY B58C around as the base model instead of that 2.0 abomination that no one is buying.
5. Fake vents everywhere. What's the point, just to be flamboyant and stand out from the crowd and to say it somewhat resembles the FT-1 if you look hard enough?

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
For those that haven't seen it Toyota just announced the 2022 MY Supra. No: manual, power boost, wind buffeting fix, or any other fixes people are complaining about. They just throw on some carbon pieces for a special edition and offer red leather again. I guess the yearly improvement comment from Tada-san was just a marketing ploy. It seems like Toyota just throw their hands up in the air and called it a day.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/toyota-launches-exclusive-gr-supra-a91-cf-edition-for-2022.9311/

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
For those that haven't seen it Toyota just announced the 2022 MY Supra. No: manual, power boost, wind buffeting fix, or any other fixes people are complaining about. They just throw on some carbon pieces for a special edition and offer red leather again. I guess the yearly improvement comment from Tada-san was just a marketing ploy. It seems like Toyota just throw their hands up in the air and called it a day.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/toyota-launches-exclusive-gr-supra-a91-cf-edition-for-2022.9311/
Man...I was hoping a manual would be on offer...might get Nissan to pull out their finger

NoCoast

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Type R
Occupation
Physician
I said all that up there before I realized the 718 had gotten all the way to $60k entry price. So maybe not the Cayman. But my point still stands.
I think the Cayman should definitely be considered as competition for the Z. I’m cross shopping a GT4 against this new Z. There’s likely others doing similar.

Philosophy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I think the Cayman should definitely be considered as competition for the Z. I’m cross shopping a GT4 against this new Z. There’s likely others doing similar.
It isn't really a competition between these two for me, considering the GT4 starts at what... $101k? The two are so far apart on price that it's hard to say they are competing in the same market, but maybe I'm just speaking in poor.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO

I think the 2.0 will get a stick soon, I'll LOL if after the Z drops all of a sudden stick becomes an option across the range.

And I think the GRMN Supra will have a stick as well.

OP
OP
Andaesthetics

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
A GT4 is better in every way and also AT LEAST $50k more than the new Z will likely be. Definitely not competition at all as it's in a whole other league. If you can afford a GT4, the new Z shouldn't even cross your mind because it won't come close.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
google define: anomaly

GOTTHEFUZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Kia K5, 2021Kia forte GT, 2012 Mustang 5.0
Occupation
CNC machinist in the military Aerospace industry
I think the 2.0 will get a stick soon, I'll LOL if after the Z drops all of a sudden stick becomes an option across the range.

And I think the GRMN Supra will have a stick as well.
Every time I see the "GRMN" name I can only think about a cheesey joke about the car being German.