VIN Number - how to get?

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Hey guys, I have been seeing guys on Facebook pages posting VIN numbers.

I was wondering when people get VIN numbers from their dealer, how long does it typically take to get to them?

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Once a dealer follows his allotment and chooses a car through the manufacturer's ordering system, a VIN will be released when the order is accepted and confirmed.

OP
OP
Go2ZZZ

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Once a dealer follows his allotment and chooses a car through the manufacturer's ordering system, a VIN will be released when the order is accepted and confirmed.
Ah I see. How long will it take after the VIN number to hit the store for the customer to get the car? 1 month? 2 months?

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Unfortunately, it seems the dealers love to keep that info generally to themselves, maybe only giving that info to the cars future owner.

Once a dealer is given their allocation, they order cars that will soon be built or those already completed. They take about 3-5 days to complete, IIRC, and then they are transported by truck to the dock, and the ship is loaded when enough cars arrive to fill the vessel.

So, from all that, I'd estimate US dealer arrivals are 5-6 weeks from VIN capture.

In 2000, my Toyota dealer snagged a car which was already on the ship on its way to the US. It arrived at the store about three weeks later.

Of course, YMMV...

OP
OP
Go2ZZZ

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Unfortunately, it seems the dealers love to keep that info generally to themselves, maybe only giving that info to the cars future owner.

Once a dealer is given their allocation, they order cars that will soon be built or those already completed. They take about 3-5 days to complete, IIRC, and then they are transported by truck to the dock, and the ship is loaded when enough cars arrive to fill the vessel.

So, from all that, I'd estimate US dealer arrivals are 5-6 weeks from VIN capture.

In 2000, my Toyota dealer snagged a car which was already on the ship on its way to the US. It arrived at the store about three weeks later.

Of course, YMMV...
Thanks for that great info

jansz

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 300ZX convertible
Occupation
retired
FYI, the VIN is "Vehicle Identification Number," so a VIN number is a "vehicle identification number number."

OP
OP
Go2ZZZ

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FYI, the VIN is "Vehicle Identification Number," so a VIN number is a "vehicle identification number number."
Yes, yes it’s true

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
"The" VIN number is the actual number.

"A" VIN number is the object of the number.

English can be weird...

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
I hope to get my VIN number before I go to the ATM machine for the money to purchase it.