USB flash drive and file format compatibility

stevet

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
I looked in the online owner's manual and did Google searches, but I can't find any information about USB flash drive and file system compatibility in the 2023 Z. More important, I can't find any information about file format compatibility (wav, flac, etc.) in the Z. Does anyone know what the 2023 Z supports and doesn't support?

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Whoops. My bad. Looks like other formats are supported.
Screenshot_20230309-200713.png

ZedNotZee

A suggestion: You might want to make sure that your thumb drive is formated to use the FAT32 file system. I've found that thumb drives using exFAT or NTFS tend not to work with some (most?) car audio systems. There are many free programs out there that will allow you to reformat a usb drive. Apparently Windows can do this too however I've never had any luck using Windows.

OP
OP

stevet

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
Thanks! I was looking at the wrong manual.

Yeah, I noticed the FAT32 limitation. I'll have to format a new flash drive. But at least it supports FLAC, which is my preferred format.

OldGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Nismo, Stealth Grey
I put in a USB-A drive with some albums copied to it. The Z recognized it but was missing one of albums. I put the USB drive in my PC to investigate and it was unreadable and had to be reformatted. It is a 64GB drive formatted in exFat. I put the drive back in the Z and it didn't recognize the drive.

I couldn't reformat the drive in FAT32 because it is too big. I ordered some 32GB drives from Amazon and will try those.

Moral of story - back up your USB drive before trying it in the Z, or try a drive you don't care about.

OP
OP

stevet

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
Good to know. My Z is supposed to arrive today or tomorrow.

Bucko

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Permformance Black Diamond Pearl (Graphite)
Has anyone had issues with art work displaying when playing music from a flash drive? Only about 50% of my music shows album art work. When I use the same flash drive in two other vehicles (Honda and Mazda), 100% of the music shows the art work. I've tried to see what the difference is bertween those that display and those that don't, but so far no clue.

OP
OP

stevet

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
I'd think it has something to do with either the image being embedded in the audio file or as a separate .jpg, or the size of the image.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Has anyone had issues with art work displaying when playing music from a flash drive? Only about 50% of my music shows album art work. When I use the same flash drive in two other vehicles (Honda and Mazda), 100% of the music shows the art work. I've tried to see what the difference is bertween those that display and those that don't, but so far no clue.
I have the same experience in my Q60.
Which is surprising, as that system is much older!

If you have "tag editor" you can inspect the mp3 files, many mp3 files have 2 thumbnails attached, a tiny one, and a larger one. Compare between a working mp3 and one that doesn't display. Check image size too, the Z infotainment may not be able to scale/resize.