US Dealer Markup Tracker Website

Markups_org

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
z71
Occupation
engineer
First and foremost, thanks for joining @Markups_org ! Good to have ya.

Secondly, don't get me wrong—I'm rooting for y'all to be successful in this endeavor. I just know all too well how the internet works, and how malicious individuals try to game the system. Hopefully if bad actors try to manipulate data, y'all will be able to notice patterns or anything else that might appear to be coordinated efforts and counter it.
No, thank you for having me! i found you guys by google searching "markups.org" and saw you guys chatting about the site. right now i personally comb over all postings, a very arduous and labor intensive method lol. right now i would have no way to verify if a competing dealership posted false markups on a neighboring dealership. hopefully the positive, no markup postings would drown out a bad/false markup posting similar to Yelp or Google reviews. we do plan to build out some safety features and building out more verification protocols but we dont want to shut down the 1000 accurate user submissions because of 1 false bad dealer submission. the goal here is to allow easy and fast submissions of what people out in the weeds buying vehicles are experiencing.

Hang on... have customers actually paid these markups or is this just dealer asking price?
often times were seeing these markups get added to ordered vehicles, or even worse, when youre sitting in the finance office and you start looking at the numbers!

i guess the best way to fill this out is see if they have mark up, attempt to wheel and deal if they dont budget mark it and take a pic with the phone of the window sticker
ya those are the best submissions, ones with pics of a markup in the window, or screenshots of text messages. we dont want to shut down submissions that happen via phone call though. in those cases you wouldnt have a picture to upload.

Seems like another good tool to have while shopping for Z's once they drop. The FK8 forum has a naughy/nice list thats been around since the Type-R launched. I bet you can guess which one is longer. Maybe we can get something like that for here?
we would love to have those guys on that board post markups to the site as well! the bigger the data set the better off the customers are

Seeing how buried some people are in their cars I can assure you there are people that have paid crazy prices for cars.
yes they absolutely are, which is fine. im not even against the markups themselves. im agains them getting applied in a shady manner or wasting all day at a dealership only to find out they hid a markup or addons. at least with our new site the transparency alone may force dealerships to compete more. we will see!

McLovin157

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z Nismo
Occupation
Nissan Salesrep
No, thank you for having me! i found you guys by google searching "markups.org" and saw you guys chatting about the site. right now i personally comb over all postings, a very arduous and labor intensive method lol. right now i would have no way to verify if a competing dealership posted false markups on a neighboring dealership. hopefully the positive, no markup postings would drown out a bad/false markup posting similar to Yelp or Google reviews. we do plan to build out some safety features and building out more verification protocols but we dont want to shut down the 1000 accurate user submissions because of 1 false bad dealer submission. the goal here is to allow easy and fast submissions of what people out in the weeds buying vehicles are experiencing.

often times were seeing these markups get added to ordered vehicles, or even worse, when youre sitting in the finance office and you start looking at the numbers!

ya those are the best submissions, ones with pics of a markup in the window, or screenshots of text messages. we dont want to shut down submissions that happen via phone call though. in those cases you wouldnt have a picture to upload.

we would love to have those guys on that board post markups to the site as well! the bigger the data set the better off the customers are

yes they absolutely are, which is fine. im not even against the markups themselves. im agains them getting applied in a shady manner or wasting all day at a dealership only to find out they hid a markup or addons. at least with our new site the transparency alone may force dealerships to compete more. we will see!
The way I've been saying it is there is a difference between understanding a realistic mark up and theft. A 5-10% markup could be reasonable but 30-60% is theft, plain and simple. Manufacturers are happy because they aren't having to pay out incentives and they are more than happy to blame dealers for mark ups. I'm not here to support the stealerships that 100% exist but the rest of us are doing what we can to stay relevant.

Eric48

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'19 Civic Type-R
Hang on... have customers actually paid these markups or is this just dealer asking price?
I may sound like a broken record always talking about the Civic, but on the Honda side of things, 100% yes. Seems like there's a lot of sign and drive going on, followed by buyers remorse or unwelcome financial reality. Pretty much weekly I see people trying to get out of their note with 45k+ left after a season or two of ownership. This is on a car with an MSRP of 38k, so yeah I'd say people are paying that ADM.

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
I may sound like a broken record always talking about the Civic, but on the Honda side of things, 100% yes. Seems like there's a lot of sign and drive going on, followed by buyers remorse or unwelcome financial reality. Pretty much weekly I see people trying to get out of their note with 45k+ left after a season or two of ownership. This is on a car with an MSRP of 38k, so yeah I'd say people are paying that ADM.
IMO the customers paying these ADMs are the problem. Being outside the US this type of free-market capitalism is hard to fathom.

OP
OP

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Being outside the US this type of free-market capitalism is hard to fathom.
A lot of what happens in the US is hard to fathom. ;)

Unfortunately greedy scum aren't a US-only problem. Realistically, any manufacture's price for anything should be what the resellers have to stick to, but even then you'd still have the greedy scalpers buying things all up to sell on eBay for over-inflated prices. An episode of the BBC tech show Click a few weeks ago had some scum trying to justify that he bought up piles of PlayStation consoles to re-sell at increased prices (even had huge piles of boxes in the background). :(

Then there's the big companies. Apple, for example, makes great devices priced about the same as competitor's similar devices, but they solder almost everything down on the motherboards, so you have to buy all the RAM you want as a custom-build computer order, and Apple's RAM and SSD storage drive prices are excessive. They also charged US$500 just for a set of wheels for their tower-case Mac Pro!!

Eric48

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'19 Civic Type-R
IMO the customers paying these ADMs are the problem. Being outside the US this type of free-market capitalism is hard to fathom.
Agreed. However the reality is that we live in a culture of "I want it and I want it NOW" and people don't care what it does to the overall market, because hey, they've got theirs.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
Could not agree more. It is like selfish unbridled capitalism is set free to exploit good people at any cost.

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
https://www.themanual.com/auto/markup-exposes-car-dealership-greed/

I think Nissan feels their best chance to sell the Proto Spec is to make it the first and only Z available at dealerships so people will have to buy it if they really want a Z now, and the dealers are licking their chops to price gouge this limited edition model with $10K-$20K markup. The challenge is to just say no to the Proto.

I think we, the potential Z buyers, can really set the tone up-front by saying "no thanks" to the Proto's markup (instead report these markups) and try to make these cars sit as dusty showroom mannequins until the dealerships see that we are not all that impressed with yellow contrast stitching and yellow painted brake calipers and we will not fund their sales teams' early retirement funds.

Hopefully if the dealers start to realize nobody is biting on the Proto's markup this will squash their enthusiasm to jam us with all the B.S. add-ons and markups on the Sport & Premium trims.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
https://www.themanual.com/auto/markup-exposes-car-dealership-greed/

I think Nissan feels their best chance to sell the Proto Spec is to make it the first and only Z available at dealerships so people will have to buy it if they really want a Z now, and the dealers are licking their chops to price gouge this limited edition model with $10K-$20K markup. The challenge is to just say no to the Proto.

I think we, the potential Z buyers, can really set the tone up-front by saying "no thanks" to the Proto's markup (instead report these markups) and try to make these cars sit as dusty showroom mannequins until the dealerships see that we are not all that impressed with yellow contrast stitching and yellow painted brake calipers and we will not fund their sales teams' early retirement funds.

Hopefully if the dealers start to realize nobody is biting on the Proto's markup this will squash their enthusiasm to jam us with all the B.S. add-ons and markups on the Sport & Premium trims.
Well said.

tgibson37

First Name
Trenton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z400 Proto Spec (Order), Range Rover, E55 AMG
Occupation
Marketing Manager for Highline-Autos.com
I just got a text from the Tempe Nissan dealer, after roping me along for months now...

"My supervisor just got back to me. It looks like the MSRP is $54,915 on the proto spec. The market adjustment will be $25k. let me know if you're interested this Proto Spec"

Haha they are out of their minds...