Toyota GR SPORTS EV Concept could be an electric MR2 successor

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
If it's an EV does it still need those scoops and vents on the rear quarter panel?
Depends on where the batteries / battery cooling ducts are, but those rear vents could be for the brakes or they could simply be fake (quite a few "air ducts" are actually faked for visual design purposes ... makes it look "sportier").

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
The biggest question mark will be …how much?
This will obviously be a competitor for Telsla’s roadster, and we know how much that costs, and I for one can certainly not afford it ?

G37

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Coupe 6MT, Q50S Hybrid, MDX
Occupation
Self
In the new world where EV sedans are about as quick as (or quicker), and handle nearly as well as EV sports cars, the premise for buying an EV sports car diminishes. It’s mostly about style with handling/braking to a much lesser degree. But when a two-seat EV’s utter lack of utility (one passenger and little space to load stuff) is added in, there’s little excuse to buy an EV sports car. You’re just buying for looks (crazy shallow) and maybe to track but beyond that, the better EV sedans/hatches can do 80-90%+ of their overall performance while still being able to take 3-4 friends to Costco, and probably having much longer range to boot. I’ll take my sports car with a manual transmission/ICE powertrain, thank you very much. Hybrid power’s ok too - as long as I can get it with a stick - and that may be the way sports cars go as CAFE goes up over time.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
I still don't see Toyota having that many sports cars: Supra, Celica, 86, and MR2, plus the tweaked sedans. It's too many models with minor differences and little wiggle-room for price differentiation, which just leads to consumer confusion. If they did bring back the Celica and MR2, then it's likely the 86 would be dropped ... a rather stupid decision considering how well it sells.

Apple had the same problem of too many marginally different products and nearly went bankrupt, before Steve Jobs returned and culled a lot of the mess (then Tim Cook took over and has been slowly increasing the mess again).