Tips for negotiating minor ADM?

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Here's a fun one for the crowd - we're looking to likely buy another CX-5 soon (which will eventually become the wife's once I get a Z...if they ever come out...never mind) as we recently got rid of our previous one. Debating between going a top trim certified pre-owned model, or a lower tier, but new, model.

With that said, I'm seeing that the dealership is tacking on 2k for "market adjustment" on new models, even though they have tons of them on the lot. @trackratZ I think I recall you saying you bent the arms of a Jeep dealership over ADM on the Gladiator you got awhile back, outside of that has anyone else had luck navigating?

As previously mentioned, I plan on leveraging them having a lot of cars on lot, but want more ammo if anyone has suggestions. Hoping a contingency plan will help us land the best deal possible.

TIA

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
i got a tip talk and talk for hours drive the guy crazy then flip your shit on the amd . youve waste the sales man time so much that he going to go talk to the manager lol

NecioVato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370z Nismo 6MT
Occupation
web developer
check out the website joinyaa.com - its Your Auto Advocate - if you have the VIN - they can give you some pointers as to what you should be shooting for as for a negotiated price etc. They also show things related to the model you are looking at and how it compares in prices where you live vs outside of your state etc.

They also run a youtube channel and they discuss a lot of things related to car purchasing and the current market we are in etc.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
i got a tip talk and talk for hours drive the guy crazy then flip your shit on the amd . youve waste the sales man time so much that he going to go talk to the manager lol
You know what, fuck em! I love it. I usually try to be respectful of their time, but you're right.....

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
When I purchased a '22 CX-5 for my wife in April/2022, the dealer had 3 CX-5s on their lot. It was not easy to negotiated it down to MSRP. Others wanted $2k over.
That said, now I found they have 20-30 on their lot. No way anyone should be paying over MSRP. Salesmen are still in denial if you ask me. ;)

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Here's a fun one for the crowd - we're looking to likely buy another CX-5 soon (which will eventually become the wife's once I get a Z...if they ever come out...never mind) as we recently got rid of our previous one. Debating between going a top trim certified pre-owned model, or a lower tier, but new, model.

With that said, I'm seeing that the dealership is tacking on 2k for "market adjustment" on new models, even though they have tons of them on the lot. @trackratZ I think I recall you saying you bent the arms of a Jeep dealership over ADM on the Gladiator you got awhile back, outside of that has anyone else had luck navigating?

As previously mentioned, I plan on leveraging them having a lot of cars on lot, but want more ammo if anyone has suggestions. Hoping a contingency plan will help us land the best deal possible.

TIA
I had somewhat of a favorable scenario in that the orig buyer who ordered the Rubicon changed his mind, wanted a bigger truck, Ram. So that Sarge Green with most of the options I wanted was already on the lot. $5K ADM was backed down the same day since I was serious with the purchase to take it off the lot. The Z is another story, esp those limited Protos, when and if volume ramps up for the other trims I imagine you can work down ADMs.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
When I purchased a '22 CX-5 for my wife in April/2022, the dealer had 3 CX-5s on their lot. It was not easy to negotiated it down to MSRP. Others wanted $2k over.
That said, now I found they have 20-30 on their lot. No way anyone should be paying over MSRP. Salesmen are still in denial if you ask me. ;)
They're not going to give up on their markups too easily. It takes a while for reality to sink in.

At least the car you're looking at has inventory.... We're not going to be so lucky with the Z

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Start with a visit to their website, go to Staff page, and call the New Car sales manager. Say something nice about the store that your neighbor told you. Say you'd appreciate being assisted by a salesperson who's been there a while and knows all about the (insert model here), would you mind if he handles my sale?

Also, I have to tell you I've been shopping, and I noticed you have several models on your lot. I desire a deal both of us think is fair, so I'd appreciate your consideration when we start the deal.

*****A lot of these guys get off on power because it's a competition with the customer. If you show some deference to them by talking to them as a professional, it helps. Most of them want no drama and clean deals.*****

Twizzty

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
When we bought ours in '21 we went to Sport Mazda South as they didn't charge any ADM. Every time we take it in for service they try and buy it from us and get us into a CX-50 at MSRP. They did have limited inventory because of this though.

Any reason you're not looking at the CX-50's? We liked the updates from the CX-5 like the panoramic roof, wireless apple carplay, ext. We would have made the move if they had a color we liked in stock.