Think Z prices are high in Australia? Have a look at US dealer price markups!

dangero

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C63 AMG, Lotus 7
Occupation
CIO
I thought I would start this thread after coming across this video. Reading the comments it seems there are a number of dealers in the US putting wat for it.... a 50 to 60 thousand dollar markup on protos...

There is such an extreme shortage of new vehicles anything that is premium, sporty or unique is almost impossible to obtain hence these sorts of markups.

If you find any other examples of international pricing please post!

OP
OP
dangero

dangero

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C63 AMG, Lotus 7
Occupation
CIO
Here is some more on the same topic.

and here

How do dealers think its acceptable to do this??? honestly 100% markup is just disgusting. 20% would be a stretch but we are talking $50 to $60 thousand USD markups here. It does make me wonder what the second hand vehicle price will be for low volume desirable exotic cars.

Last edited:

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I’ve had this conversation with the US guys…it’s been discussed heaps.
Give you the tip probably nit worth getting overly passionate about….I think I chased a dealer off because I always came back to.
The car is the same as anywhere else in the world, covid is the same, lack of inventory is the same, supply issues are the same….yet only the US is ripping their customers off.

I’ve come to understand it’s their laws making things hard for consumers, but I still feel if Nissan really wanted to look after people in the US they could do more

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I'm quite certain, in other regions with better consumer protections, we'll see dealerships get creative to ream their customers.
A tactic gaining traction is for the "new" car to be transferred to the "used" lot, usually with under 100 miles on the odometer, where a dealership is free to charge anything they want. I think most countries don't have laws preventing that.

The worst part about these mark-ups is that we also need to pay taxes on the mark-up itself. Where I live, a $20k mark-up has $2.2k in additional taxes. Basically giving money to a worthless government, I hate it. I might be a little more receptive to some mark-up if the government wasn't taking a cut.
You know, the government that doesn't do anything about these shiesty dealers.....

It's not up to Nissan, the dealership networks employ lobbyists to influence laws allowing dealerships wide freedom to do whatever they want, no matter what the manufacturers think......

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
I'm quite certain, in other regions with better consumer protections, we'll see dealerships get creative to ream their customers.
A tactic gaining traction is for the "new" car to be transferred to the "used" lot, usually with under 100 miles on the odometer, where a dealership is free to charge anything they want. I think most countries don't have laws preventing that.

The worst part about these mark-ups is that we also need to pay taxes on the mark-up itself. Where I live, a $20k mark-up has $2.2k in additional taxes. Basically giving money to a worthless government, I hate it. I might be a little more receptive to some mark-up if the government wasn't taking a cut.
You know, the government that doesn't do anything about these shiesty dealers.....

It's not up to Nissan, the dealership networks employ lobbyists to influence laws allowing dealerships wide freedom to do whatever they want, no matter what the manufacturers think......
Doesn't seem like it will last. The cheapest 3.0 Supra in the country has a markup of $5k. Not bad, but like I always say wait till December through April to buy new. In this case, at least one year from now.