The Japanese Muscle Car Z vs an American, the Camaro SS 1LE

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
I think this car gets slept on as a rival. It's not the prettiest imo, but not terrible. The interior, well, same and I question some of the materials though the Recaros, steering wheel, shifter, climate controls, door panel grab panels seem solid. The gauge cluster isn't as nice.

But that performance and driving experience seems to overpower those shortcomings as it's truly an affordable sports car with it's handling and acceleration capabilities. And it sounds the part.

Plus... It's in that Z price range depending on 1SS or 2SS trim.

Another car added to my list.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ That's the difference between a "sports car" (sleek, refined, goes around corners) and a "muscle car" (massive, ugly, powerful, only goes in a straight line). ;)

Last edited:

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
^ That's the difference between a "sports car" (sleek, refined, goes around corners) and a "muscle car" (massive, ugh, powerful, only goes in a straight line). ;)
These cars are no longer straight line they can do both now

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Camaro?
What's up with the Camaro, and why have the designers insisted on such chopped roof proportions? Have you sat in one? The doors and dash are tall and the windows are small.
Was it the tie-ins with the transformers movies that caused GM to go overboard? Would 3" of extra roof and window height really ruin the look of the car?

I've heard that the convertible is the one to get.

No denying the performance, it's great and the V8 is reasonable on gas.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Looks aside, these current muscle cars, except the Challenger, are all over on track days. We're talking about the performance SS, ZL1, 1LE trims. Also the Mustang GT Perf Pkg, Shelbys, they are great handlers plus sound great with the adaptive exhausts. I'm still on the fence about getting the new Z or keeping my PP2 GT even at 460hp. Fun car, feels light and tossable behind the wheel! Sport+, Track modes, fun to play with.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
ill take a pic of my interior when i go to lunch the roof line thing doesnt bother me i guess if u got way to close under a light or trying to look for aliens above you i guess i could see the complain

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
i guess may 16 we will see if i go ahead and try to get a z or start looking at other stuff .lol ive been staring at this mach one in the dealer or i get a stick supra

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
i guess may 16 we will see if i go ahead and try to get a z or start looking at other stuff .lol ive been staring at this mach one in the dealer or i get a stick supra
Test drive both, the Mach 1 is a great package since has GT350 bits. Supra will be tighter inside of course, they're two diff cars really.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
Test drive both, the Mach 1 is a great package since has GT350 bits. Supra will be tighter inside of course, they're two diff cars really.
yea i was leaning this way cause i wanted to try something turbo already , ive driven my buddies GT350 R i know its more like the regular but ive been switching between mustang and camaro for years lol , i was trying to break the cycle with a jdm lol

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
I've driven my stepson's SS Camaro on multiple occasions. It is a fast car that handles pretty well, but I can never get comfortable in the cockpit. The visibility is also seriously lacking.

I realize it's all personal opinion, but I've sat in the new Z (and driven previous versions) and I find the Z more comfortable with better visibility than the Camaro.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
^ That's the difference between a "sports car" (sleek, refined, goes around corners) and a "muscle car" (massive, ugh, powerful, only goes in a straight line). ;)
Your username is quite fitting...old thinking. The SS 1LE is a TRACK car. The Z is a touring car (straight from Nissan). The SS 1LE will surpass the Z in every performance metric, especially track times. The SS 1LE is more of a "sports car" than the Z. Welcome to this century!

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
Your username is quite fitting...old thinking. The SS 1LE is a TRACK car. The Z is a touring car (straight from Nissan). The SS 1LE will surpass the Z in every performance metric, especially track times. The SS 1LE is more of a "sports car" than the Z. Welcome to this century!
i mean u can even see it in the lighting laps the 2015 gtpp and 1le both putting up faster numbers than the 370z nismo

Freewill

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Triumph Tiger
I've driven a new Camaro, and found the blind spots distracting to the point that I wouldn't enjoy daily driving the car. The Mustang has a much nicer interior, and far better visibility all around. Hoping that the new Z will have an interior one wants to spend lots of time in.