The Electric thread - BEV, PHEV, etc.

Captain_Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
https://www.carscoops.com/2023/11/a...as-demand-for-evs-fails-to-meet-expectations/

Auto Industry Fears The Worst As Demand For EVs Fails To Meet Expectations

With billions of dollars already poured into EVs, many manufacturers are cutting back on their plans amidst high interest rates

Experts worry that the demand for EVs is out of sync with the amount of investment poured in by automakers. While sales of battery-electric vehicles are steadily increasing, the billions of dollars that have been pumped in by virtually every major manufacturer may not yield the expected return.

High interest rates have been seen as a concern by everyone from industry analysts to Tesla CEO Elon Musk. “I am worried about the high interest rate environment that we’re in,” said Musk, on an earnings call. “As I just can’t emphasize this enough that the vast majority of people buying a car is about the monthly payment. If interest rates remain high or if they go even higher, it’s that much harder for people to buy the car.”

Tesla has announced that it is slowing down plans for a Mexican factory, with Musk sighting the current financial climate as a reason. Meanwhile, Honda and General Motors have scrapped a $5 billion joint development that centered around creating affordable electric SUVs.

In a similar move, Ford recently announced that production of the F-150 Lightning would be slowed down temporarily. The Blue Oval had been churning out examples of the EV truck with three shifts, but following an announcement in July that it would be redirecting investment into its commercial and hybrid vehicles, the F-150 Lightning will only be made in two shifts.

Waning demand from automakers has seen the prices of raw materials used in the manufacture of EVs drop sharply. According to a report from Reuters, prices of lithium have tumbled by 67 percent, while cobalt has fallen 20 percent in 2023, and halving since May 2022.

It’s not just U.S. manufacturers feeling the pinch. China, which has seen immense demand from Europe for its budget-friendly EVs, isn’t faring the same at home. Chinese battery maker CATL said that its third quarter was its weakest of the year so far, citing a drop-off in demand and increased competition. Meanwhile, in Europe, Volkswagen cut its profit margin outlook. It too blamed hedges made in raw materials, which have since seen prices drop.

Alarm bells may be ringing within the industry, but consumers continue to warm up to EVs as sales figures gradually increase. In the third quarter of 2023, U.S. electric vehicle deliveries topped 300,000 for the first time ever. EV sales also increased in the EU by 14.3 percent, and 22 percent in China.

So, will the rapid investment in EVs play out in the long term, or has it been too much too soon? Watch this space, and let us know your take in the comments below.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
My problem with EVs is that there's no equivalent of the Z in the EV landscape. I'm looking for a totally impractical, hella fun, two-seat coupe at a doesn't-break-the-bank price. Who makes such an EV? Nobody. I'm sticking with my Z for now.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
My problem with EVs is that there's no equivalent of the Z in the EV landscape. I'm looking for a totally impractical, hella fun, two-seat coupe at a doesn't-break-the-bank price. Who makes such an EV? Nobody. I'm sticking with my Z for now.
Be patient they'll come, if not BEV but hybrid. The MX-5 Miata replacement (2025?) 2-rotor looks promising but Mazda is working hard to keep the weight down, no solution as of yet.

In the meantime, my Model Y is humming just fine with gobs of acceleration, and the Tesla Corsa challenge group of Model 3s are alive and well at local road course events, one is SpeedVentures.

Mazda Iconic SP Is a Hybrid Rotary-Powered Future Sports Car (caranddriver.com)

1699192434249.png

Last edited:

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
Be patient they'll come, if not BEV but hybrid. The MX-5 Miata replacement (2025?) 2-rotor looks promising but Mazda is working hard to keep the weight down, no solution as of yet.

Mazda Iconic SP Is a Hybrid Rotary-Powered Future Sports Car (caranddriver.com)

1699192434249.png
Miata
.Is
Always
The
Answer

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'd like to see someone push the Aptera in a sportier setting - ie, canyon roads, just as a frame of reference compared to something like an ND2 Miata when it comes to handling and how fun it is (or isn't) to drive in that environment.

And while it's still not an EV equivalent to the Z, it does do 0-60 in 4 secs...

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I'd like to see someone push the Aptera in a sportier setting - ie, canyon roads, just as a frame of reference compared to something like an ND2 Miata when it comes to handling and how fun it is (or isn't) to drive in that environment.

And while it's still not an EV equivalent to the Z, it does do 0-60 in 4 secs...

Not quite what I was hoping for, but...maybe?

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not in the market for any of these, but the R3/X is pretty cool.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I'm not in the market for any of these, but the R3/X is pretty cool.

not in the market either, but still pretty cool. maybe i missed it but did they mention the price on the r3x?

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
not in the market either, but still pretty cool. maybe i missed it but did they mention the price on the r3x?
Rivian didn't mention pricing, but people are estimating that the base R3 will start at around $37,000 while the R3X will be ~$47,000.