The all-new 2022 Ford Maverick

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
We use escapes as fleet vehicles at work. Mine currently has a turbo issue at 80k miles, and one of my coworkers blew his trans at around 100k last year. Obviously we're relatively hard on them compared to a normal consumer, but we have very strict maintenence schedules too.
We also have electrical gremlins in ours.

The HVAC system makes weird noises when you change the vent settings, sometimes taking several minutes to direct air through the appropriate vents, all the while making plastic crunching noises from behind the dash.

And we also have Transit Connects that have the little EB motors, and they have the same issues as the Escapes, including HVAC issues. I think our oldest are 2016.....

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
"All is Forgiven at $23,000"

That is precisely why I'm considering getting this boring-ass compact pickup. It's uninspiring, unsexy, and has about as much street cred - or more appropriately, off-road cred - as a pair of pre-distressed fashion sneakers.

But, you get an inexpensive hybrid that's good for 42 mpg city and 33 hwy. My '04 Xterra has served me well for over 18 years... but it's a friggin' dinosaur - an absolute chore to drive up into the mountains with its paltry 180 horses.

I figure, if I can avoid markups, it'll be worth having as a stop-gap that I can sell off once my Cybertruck finally arrives. The hybrid's towing capacity is a bit limited, but the payload is fine for hauling around some motorcycles...

1668571344119.png

lol

1668571399060.png

I like the new Frontier, but it's basically $10k more expensive. Definitely waaay more capable, but I wouldn't plan on keeping it long-term, so the cheapo Maverick seems to make more sense.

Last edited:

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
as tempting as it is get this for the wife, we are too much into japanese design and reliability to risk buying a ford...

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
as tempting as it is get this for the wife, we are too much into japanese design and reliability to risk buying a ford...
Yeah, I find the new Frontier to be far more appealing (aside from price and MPG) ...but the Maverick would be an interim vehicle for me, so I'd hope reliability wouldn't be too much an issue for my prospective period of ownership.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Yeah, I find the new Frontier to be far more appealing (aside from price and MPG) ...but the Maverick would be an interim vehicle for me, so I'd hope reliability wouldn't be too much an issue for my prospective period of ownership.
it's a great price and a good looking truck imho. i grew up in a family where my dad, his parents, grandparents, etc owned ford's.

heck my first truck was an f-150, but between being left stranded a few times and the engine dying because bits of plastic on the timing chain gear falling into the pan and seizing up the oil pump...i ended up buying my first brand new nissan p/u.

Last edited:

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OMG, so I called Costco Auto Program to ask if there are any participating dealers with the Maverick Hybrid.... Nope.

I then called a local Ford dealership to get some info, and it turns out that you can get it at MSRP and no markup, but they aren't taking any new orders for the Maverick until fall of '23. And after you place an order, it's another 8 months of time before delivery.

They are currently marking up inventory Mavericks and used ones by about $12k. I mean, the whole point of getting the Maverick is that it's $12k cheaper than other trucks.... o_O

Well, on the plus side, the new Frontier IS part of the Costco Auto Program, so I may be getting a base model Frontier in the not-too-distant future.......

1668630023121.png

Last edited: