Swapping out the OEM Bridgestones for PS A/S4s?

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I wonder if a set of Pilot Sport A/S4s would be as grippy as the Bridgestones the Z ships with - Mark in the Savagegeese review that dropped today remarked that those Bridgestones were so low grip as to be analogous to the low-grip Primacies that came on the GT86 for years. For solely street use, I am fine with a relatively low grip tire as you can slide it around a bit at lower speeds/G forces. Going with the Pilot A/S option all year long (I wouldn't be driving the car in any snow) would make Z ownership a lot simpler. But given the engine's power the grip clearly can't be TOO limited.

Anyone experienced with the A/S4s compared to summer tires?

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I wonder if a set of Pilot Sport A/S4s would be as grippy as the Bridgestones the Z ships with - Mark in the Savagegeese review that dropped today remarked that those Bridgestones were so low grip as to be analogous to the low-grip Primacies that came on the GT86 for years. For solely street use, I am fine with a relatively low grip tire as you can slide it around a bit at lower speeds/G forces. Going with the Pilot A/S option all year long (I wouldn't be driving the car in any snow) would make Z ownership a lot simpler. But given the engine's power the grip clearly can't be TOO limited.

Anyone experienced with the A/S4s compared to summer tires?
I ran Pilot Sport AS3, Continental DWS and Bridgestone S04 Pole Positions on my Z and currently run DWS06 and PS4s on my S4. As much as I love the grip of the PS4S, they get worn pretty quickly (I've used them for 2.5 years only in Late Spring to Early Fall (April-Mid September) and they're already getting skittish in rain. Def have to be careful with these FI cars since when the boost hits the car will lose traction fast.

Personally I'd run a slightly cheaper set of Summer tires (Conti/Bridgestone) as they'll provide 8/10 grip as PS4S and last longer. I'm 100% going to DWS06 for the OE wheels when stock summers die and then S04 or some similar summers for new wheels.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I would go PS4S in the South, PS4 A/S if you see snow.
agreed

if i were to put the ps4s on any of my cars, it would be sure that we'd have a long cold bitter winter in texas.

i have people who will call me if they feel we need rain... "hey man, can you go wash your car? it's getting kinda dry..."

Brickyard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 QX50 '13 Escalade Platinum '03 350 Z Touring
Bridgestones Suck

They Wear Out WAY too early

Why Nissan goes with the Lowest Bidder and slaps Bridgestone Rubber on INFINTIs and Nissan Performance Vehicles is well . . a Bean Counter move at the Detriment to the Ownership Experience

Replacement Prices for the Sucky OEM Bridgestones is Whacked Too ~ $375 a tire for something that wears out in 25,000 miles or less is absurd.

Ditch the Bridgestones at the soonest possible opportunity

71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
71 240z, 90 300zx, 23 ZProtoMT, 24 Z Nismo
Z proto manual is supposedly in next week for delivery...I got the Dealership to agree to throw in DWS06 plus tires as a consolidation prize for the 10k BS ADM. Still pissed about that but at least I'm getting better tires. I went with the recommendations from @takemorepills and @TaroBaapG35 for the DWS06 recommendation from previous posts here. I hope I am not disappointed as I have never had this tire on any of my vehicles. Currently have PS4S on the Audi SQ5 and Pilot Sports on the C8.

71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Every Red Sport I've driven made a mockery of the stock rubber, how are they going for you?
I have a C8 with Pilots 4S sports and an Audi SQ5 with Michelin PS4S and they are both fantastic … the Z Stock Bridgestone’s are to harsh and lose traction easily. I have a set of Conti Extreme DWS006 plus ready to go on a set of the Nismo black rims as soon as they come in stock. I’ll report back soon.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Speaking to the suckiness of Bridgestones, my Q60 wandered like a mofo on the highway with the OEM Bridgestones.....

Took it back to the dealership 3 times. I can't believe they couldn't figure out it was just the tires....

DWS06 totally corrected the "issue"

71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Speaking to the suckiness of Bridgestones, my Q60 wandered like a mofo on the highway with the OEM Bridgestones.....

Took it back to the dealership 3 times. I can't believe they couldn't figure out it was just the tires....

Really good to hear. Thinking about putting on those s

I took my longest trip in the Z yesterday and yes the Stock Bridgestones tires have to go!! Just not good at all!