Suspension - Z proto vs 370Z

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
Is it just me or does it look like it's all 370Z under the new body work? Is it just because it's a concept car so it's based on an existing chassis? This brings me to my second question. If this is indeed what we are getting should be we worried that it's based on such an old architecture? Everyone keep bashing the new Z because it's said to be based on a 20 yo platform.

Z Proto
message-editor%2F1623176043467-inlineb.jpg

370Z
2018-Nissan-370Z-Nismo-rear-suspension.jpg

ZZ2022

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 R35 GTR
Is it just me or does it look like it's all 370Z under the new body work? This brings me to my second question. Everyone keep bashing the new Z because it's based on a 20 yo platform. Should be we worried that it's based on such an old architecture?

Myself personally, i am not to worried about the older platform. Mainly because i believe this is the only way they will keep this affordable

theboosh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
XV
A friend of mine is heavily into track days, his club bought a 370Z for their own use. Stock, he's said it goes around the track just as quick as some of their own heavily modified (albeit older) vehicles. This sort of feedback sells me on the old platform!

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
So a lot of Zupra owners on our sister forum said the J29 chassis feels superior to the Z34. I wonder how the new Z will fair against the Zupra?

OP
OP
Lin626

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
I thought it was common knowledge that it's a 370z under all that reskinned sheet metal.
Oops, sorry I haven't read all the threads yet. Mods feel free to delete the thread.

I just remember one article saying the proto is basically a concept car so it that's why it's based on the 370Z, but the production car will be different. #dontbelieveeveryclickbaitarticle

Metal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8
Occupation
Engineer - Telecom
The 370z is a good platform, however I am hoping that they update the main drawbacks of the Z34, being the LSD & the CSC.

If you're ever worried about using old platforms, just look at how many people buy and love chargers & challengers, and Those are based off of a 2002 Mercedes E class

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
A friend of mine is heavily into track days, his club bought a 370Z for their own use. Stock, he's said it goes around the track just as quick as some of their own heavily modified (albeit older) vehicles. This sort of feedback sells me on the old platform!
They look to have the same camber (eccentric bolts) and toe adjustments, very similar design, which means somewhat track proven and aftermarket ready.

Captain_Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
So a lot of Zupra owners on our sister forum said the J29 chassis feels superior to the Z34. I wonder how the new Z will fair against the Zupra?
It's probably not going to beat it straight out of the box, but if it's $10-$15k less I'm not complaining.

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Camry, Q60 RWD
I wouldn't be too worried about it, the 370Z handles very well and it helps with aftermarket stuff, they might even be compatible.
It's also a way to keep costs down, Toyota and Subaru does it with the 86/BRZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
The 370z is a good platform, however I am hoping that they update the main drawbacks of the Z34, being the LSD & the CSC.
That plus brake fade issues from heavy track use. The large square grille hopefully has some ducting towards the rotors since no other openings are in the design up front.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150
another example is the Porsche 981 and 982. they are literally the same car with different bumpers and engines.