RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Hey yo.

So I know everyone is getting mad/sad/frustrated/confused about the launch of the Z. I read it all over the place on posts here. I thought I might share some perspective on a couple things that might help us in our commiserate journey through these trying times of unprecedented first world problems.

In the pandemic years, there has been only one other significant mass market sports car launch - the C8 Chevy Corvette. (Am I wrong? Probably. But to me, the Z's launch is on par with the Vette, and there hasn't been anything that has stood out to me). A fella at work showed up with a 2022 3LT with Z51 performance package a couple of weeks ago, so I asked him about it. How did he get it? Who did he have to kill? What bank did he rob? Who does he know at Chevrolet? Did Joe Biden drive it in Bowling Green before it got delivered? Does Joe Biden remember driving it? I had SO MANY QUESTIONS!

This guy ordered his C8 Corvette in September 2020. Hang on, emphasis. SEPTEMBER 2020. These cars were in production starting in January 2020. Launched the previous fall. His order for a 2021 turned into a 2022 model year car before he received a car. He BOUGHT A TESLA MODEL 3 as a bridge car that he then traded toward the Corvette when his order finally came in February 2022.

Another colleague of mine at work ordered a Bronco 10 months ago. Significantly better track record than Corvette guy. She finally got her VIN number a week ago and it should be delivered at the end of March or early April.

Point being - it's not just Nissan. It doesn't make it any less frustrating, but it's not just the Z. It's not just Nissan. It's not just sports cars. It's launching a new car that absolutely SUCKS right now. Too much crazy in the world and now WW3 is about to break out, so there's that.

Nissan still has a ways to go - we don't know how quickly they'll be able to meet production demand, but if it's as bad as the C8 I wouldn't be terribly shocked. I promise you Nissan wants to sell a Z to everyone in here. I truly believe they're doing the best they can in the environment they have to work. I also get it if you can't wait any longer and have a window within which to purchase a fun car. But some will be able to wait however long it takes. For me, this fun car purchase is the last one I'm going to be able to swing for around 20 years, so I need to make it count. Therefore, no compromises on anything. If I need to wait a year to get color/equipment, then I will wait. I will wait two years if that's what it takes. I've already been waiting since 2015 - I'm on the home stretch, baby!

TLDR; the wait sucks, but it could be a whole lot worse, and still might be, and it's not Nissan's fault.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Personally I'm not tripping over any of this. I'm eager to get a new car since the last vehicle purchase for myself was around this time in 2015 but it is what it is. It's my choice to wait on the Z and it's only going to be longer for me since I'm holding out for a Nismo model. Right now seems like a miserable time to buy a car so unless you absolutely have to buy one soon/this year or just hate your current car then I think you should wait, but I get that waiting longer doesn't necessarily guarantee anything and no one here is getting any younger.

Obviously people just want the car already, but it's clear that the other frustrating part is the lack of remaining information. Final price per trim, definitive delivery month to dealers, etc. would probably put some people's minds at ease. "We don't know" doesn't do much for some people but for others it's better than hearing nothing at all or constant conflicting information. Will that said, Spring really starts in a few days. I hope that the final details are announced very soon so that those expecting to get a Z in June or earlier can plan or move on accordingly.

Longhorn2020

First Name
Jase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
Occupation
Computer engineering
Personally I'm not tripping over any of this. I'm eager to get a new car since the last vehicle purchase for myself was around this time in 2015 but it is what it is. It's my choice to wait on the Z and it's only going to be longer for me since I'm holding out for a Nismo model. Right now seems like a miserable time to buy a car so unless you absolutely have to buy one soon/this year or just hate your current car then I think you should wait, but I get that waiting longer doesn't necessarily guarantee anything and no one here is getting any younger.

Obviously people just want the car already, but it's clear that the other frustrating part is the lack of remaining information. Final price per trim, definitive delivery month to dealers, etc. would probably put some people's minds at ease. "We don't know" doesn't do much for some people but for others it's better than hearing nothing at all or constant conflicting information. Will that said, Spring really starts in a few days. I hope that the final details are announced very soon so that those expecting to get a Z in June or earlier can plan or move on accordingly.
Same here. I'm a patient person and wont be buying until the Nismo version as well.

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant

My patience will come in handy as well since I'm getting the Nismo too.

DanPYo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 VW GTI 2d
Occupation
Database Programmer
Did he say ahything about how badly he got bent over by ADM?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Hey yo.

So I know everyone is getting mad/sad/frustrated/confused about the launch of the Z. I read it all over the place on posts here. I thought I might share some perspective on a couple things that might help us in our commiserate journey through these trying times of unprecedented first world problems.

In the pandemic years, there has been only one other significant mass market sports car launch - the C8 Chevy Corvette. (Am I wrong? Probably. But to me, the Z's launch is on par with the Vette, and there hasn't been anything that has stood out to me). A fella at work showed up with a 2022 3LT with Z51 performance package a couple of weeks ago, so I asked him about it. How did he get it? Who did he have to kill? What bank did he rob? Who does he know at Chevrolet? Did Joe Biden drive it in Bowling Green before it got delivered? Does Joe Biden remember driving it? I had SO MANY QUESTIONS!

This guy ordered his C8 Corvette in September 2020. Hang on, emphasis. SEPTEMBER 2020. These cars were in production starting in January 2020. Launched the previous fall. His order for a 2021 turned into a 2022 model year car before he received a car. He BOUGHT A TESLA MODEL 3 as a bridge car that he then traded toward the Corvette when his order finally came in February 2022.

Another colleague of mine at work ordered a Bronco 10 months ago. Significantly better track record than Corvette guy. She finally got her VIN number a week ago and it should be delivered at the end of March or early April.

Point being - it's not just Nissan. It doesn't make it any less frustrating, but it's not just the Z. It's not just Nissan. It's not just sports cars. It's launching a new car that absolutely SUCKS right now. Too much crazy in the world and now WW3 is about to break out, so there's that.

Nissan still has a ways to go - we don't know how quickly they'll be able to meet production demand, but if it's as bad as the C8 I wouldn't be terribly shocked. I promise you Nissan wants to sell a Z to everyone in here. I truly believe they're doing the best they can in the environment they have to work. I also get it if you can't wait any longer and have a window within which to purchase a fun car. But some will be able to wait however long it takes. For me, this fun car purchase is the last one I'm going to be able to swing for around 20 years, so I need to make it count. Therefore, no compromises on anything. If I need to wait a year to get color/equipment, then I will wait. I will wait two years if that's what it takes. I've already been waiting since 2015 - I'm on the home stretch, baby!

TLDR; the wait sucks, but it could be a whole lot worse, and still might be, and it's not Nissan's fault.
I get what you're saying, but disagree a bit.

I am quite certain that Nissan is intentionally delaying the Z to "save face" for the Airya.

You mentioned Bronco and C8. Those vehicles represent epic changes, that occurred around the time of the pandemic. Neither were evolutionary, they are both revolutionary. The new Z is only mildly evolutionary.

Nissan really jumped the gun on announcing the Z. I think they thought that the Airya was going to be possible, so they announced the Z. It is clear, in the last few years, a BEV is absolutely the worst vehicle to hang your hat on. Supply constraints just keep getting worse. Even if we ignore the supply challenges for BEV, the Airya is similar to the C8 and Bronco because it too is revolutionary. The Z should be on sale already.

I can think of several cars that had better reveals:

New Tundra
New Civic
New TLX S

Those vehicles were released to consumers months after official reveal.
In 2021 Nissan revealed our new Z will be a 2023. They are definitely in the wrong for announcing it prematurely. And again, I stand firm that it's intentionally being delayed for the Airya's sake.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
man that shit is ugly anyway... lol

Stella

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
19 sti, 21 mach 1, 22 supra
As long as we continue to get our weekly updates from our friendly nissan salesmen here on the forum I won't complain. I for one am honored a nissan representative would even grace us with his presence here, and as soon as I get even a little perturbed that a car I'm supposed to be able to buy in less than 100 days still doesn't have a price or spec list, I just remember comforting thoughts like 3. There are a multitude of legal acrobatics that prevent a manufacturer from dictating what any dealership charges for a vehicle in the US and great talk with Dan Passe yesterday and though he couldn't answer 80% of what I asked, it was a productive conversation.

I'm glad this launch for my beloved z brand is in such competent and transparent hands.

I hope the 5k adm im happily paying to my favorite okc dealership goes into someones pockets who really really deserves it!

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
Hey yo.

I really have to applaud your judicious retrospective on pandemic car launches, and your patience. And yet I couldn't personally disagree more. I would never wait two years for a car, for any car. Life is too short. And as for this being the last car that you'll "be able to swing for around 20 years," I simply cannot relate! Since 2008 I've had two 300ZX, one 370Z, 4 Audi TT Coupe/Roadsters, a Porsche Boxster. If Nissan genuinely was up against the wall and couldn't deliver for two years I'd buy a used sports car for less money and have some set aside for maintenance and repairs.

As a city dweller and executive stuck working from home in a pandemic context, the idea behind this next Z was to be able to get out on the road for an early morning drive. Or to use the drive as an excuse to rent an Airbnd a few hours away. Waiting two years for some reprieve from high rise living seems like a terminal diagnosis right now. Everyone's rationale for getting this car is a bit different. Mine, it seems, was trying to afford a bit of mental health and break from the day in and day out of the seemingly monotone of the everyday. Break free of it and come back to your work with some freshness. Cars are more than blunt instruments, they have evolved into social tools through which we express ourselves. If Nissan wants to relaunch and use the Z badge as that which will capture the "spirit" of Nissan, then it would do better than let this "spirit" languish for another two years, lest risk the demise of their entire brand.

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
I really have to applaud your judicious retrospective on pandemic car launches, and your patience. And yet I couldn't personally disagree more. I would never wait two years for a car, for any car. Life is too short. And as for this being the last car that you'll "be able to swing for around 20 years," I simply cannot relate! Since 2008 I've had two 300ZX, one 370Z, 4 Audi TT Coupe/Roadsters, a Porsche Boxster. If Nissan genuinely was up against the wall and couldn't deliver for two years I'd buy a used sports car for less money and have some set aside for maintenance and repairs.

As a city dweller and executive stuck working from home in a pandemic context, the idea behind this next Z was to be able to get out on the road for an early morning drive. Or to use the drive as an excuse to rent an Airbnd a few hours away. Waiting two years for some reprieve from high rise living seems like a terminal diagnosis right now. Everyone's rationale for getting this car is a bit different. Mine, it seems, was trying to afford a bit of mental health and break from the day in and day out of the seemingly monotone of the everyday. Break free of it and come back to your work with some freshness. Cars are more than blunt instruments, they have evolved into social tools through which we express ourselves. If Nissan wants to relaunch and use the Z badge as that which will capture the "spirit" of Nissan, then it would do better than let this "spirit" languish for another two years, lest risk the demise of their entire brand.

I am quite certain that Nissan is intentionally delaying the Z to "save face" for the Airya.

You mentioned Bronco and C8. Those vehicles represent epic changes, that occurred around the time of the pandemic. Neither were evolutionary, they are both revolutionary. The new Z is only mildly evolutionary.

Nissan really jumped the gun on announcing the Z. I think they thought that the Airya was going to be possible, so they announced the Z. It is clear, in the last few years, a BEV is absolutely the worst vehicle to hang your hat on. Supply constraints just keep getting worse. Even if we ignore the supply challenges for BEV, the Airya is similar to the C8 and Bronco because it too is revolutionary. The Z should be on sale already.

New Tundra
New Civic
New TLX S

In 2021 Nissan revealed our new Z will be a 2023. They are definitely in the wrong for announcing it prematurely. And again, I stand firm that it's intentionally being delayed for the Airya's sake.
Thank you! Some people get it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Legislation is looming that spells the demise of our beloved ICE sports cars. Every year that goes by with delay, is one less year of manufacturing, and one less year's worth of inventory, both for new inventory and the future used car market.

I just can't sugar coat Nissan's feet dragging.

OP
OP

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X

Everyone's personal position on this purchase is different. For me, I have a financial plan mapped out largely due to my two young children. I won't be trading in and out of fun cars before they're finished college - I have a budget for one and that one car needs to be something I'll be content with. That car for me is a Z. I will wait. That's my personal position and situation, and it is a position I will not compromise on for any car. I enjoy driving my truck in the meantime, and I have had enjoyment of Z cars in the past before my priorities changed. That's fine if you don't relate to that. I'm content with where I'm at in life and the room I have for toys. Not everyone is the same here.

Good for you for having a handful of sports cars since 2008. As a high-rise-living executive couped up in a pandemic, I'd go for that AirBNB for a mental break if it took an Uber to get there.

OP
OP

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X

New Tundra
New Civic
New TLX S

I have no idea about the Ariya (the name still bothers me) enough to agree or disagree with you on that. The truth likely lies somewhere in the middle on that, and honestly, it completely slipped my mind when thinking on this. It's possible. They're also launching the QX60 in the middle of all this. I guarantee you the pencil pushers at Nissan would prioritize those two vehicles over a Z should some sort of launch/production conflict had appeared.

Either way, the cars in question are all still new vehicle launches. You can split hairs in any of those as to being revolutionary or evolutionary - the ones you mentioned being better launches are all volume cars in a way that's different from the C8/Bronco/Z. However, your point stands there. They didn't fire off until they were ready to fire off. The Tundra being an exception to this point - the TRD Pro is delayed again per a buddy that's a Toyota employee. They're not opening order books until May. It will have been a full year since production reveal for an employee to even order one.