• Total voters

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
My daily-driver G37 has a trunk with a cargo net. This is quite practical as I can store my laptop securely. No one can see it, and it doesn't fly around on my drive to work.

The Z has a hatch instead of a trunk, and no net.

So, what's the best method to prevent somebody from smashing the Z's rear window to grab my laptop, and, at the same time, prevent my laptop from flying around the cabin on my spirited commute?

Nissan offers a cargo net: https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissan_2023_Z/Cargo-Net/120594396/T99C1-6GP0A.html

Nissan also offers a (very expensive) tonneau cover (that requires replacing the gas stays?): https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissan_2023_Z/Tonneau-Cover/120594383/H4982-6GP0A.html

Who's seen these? Net? Cover? Both? Neither?

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
I have (essentially the same) cover installed in my 370Z, pretty good quality n great option for hiding anything in the trunk area. It also attaches to the hatch so open/close is automatic.

For securing something like a laptop though, do you just travel with it in the open? Iā€™d recommend a carrying case. When I commute in my Z, my laptop bag fits pretty well on the luggage shelves behind both seats, can also be strapped to the cross brace if moves around too much there, and itā€™s not readily visible behind the seat-backs.

Alternatively, you could also stow it on the floor behind the seat, again in a carrying case or maybe a laptop-sized cubby with velcro backing that you could attach to the carpet lining below the rear luggage shelves

Again this from perspective of a 370Z, but based on interior pictures Iā€™ve seen, looks to be same layout in the new Z

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Yeah, the laptop is inside a backpack. Can't wait to get one to see how much space is behind the seats. That seems like a good option. I used to put my backpack on the passenger seat of my G37, but a quick stop would send it flying, so now the trunk/cargo net is the solution.

Last edited:

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
Yeah, the laptop is inside a backpack. Can't wait to get one to see how much space is behind the seats. That seems like a good option. I used to put my backpack on the passenger seat of my G37, but a quick stop would send it flying, so now the trunk/cargo net is the solution.
šŸ‘šŸ» ya I didnā€™t think to post pics, but the ones posted above are exactly how I travel with my šŸ’¼, no overpriced cargo net needed

And if you get the Perf model with power seats it will be easy to move the passenger seat forward, stow the bag, then move it back to hold the bag in place. Shouldnā€™t be going anywhere at that point...unless you pullin some serious Gs in the corners on way to work šŸ˜‚

deibu

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
My car came with the net which is the only reason I have.... It did come in a "cool" Z-branded fake-material bag that velcro attaches to the carpeted wall behind the passenger seat...as you can see it attaches to rings at carpet level to the rear and center, but it attaches in the front is by looping around the torsion bar...causing the net to come well off the floor of the hatch...ineffective for keeping small, flat items like my [still waiting for its plate]license plate holder - or a lap top - secure.

My solution to that was to double the net over and create a sack at the back which keeps small flat things from sliding around. It could be made more secure by closing the sides with caribiners or zip ties. I didn't bother to use it for a suitcase and carryon on the 75 mile trip through the hills to the airport this morning and nothing moved ...I'll probably leave it in the back in case I go buy groceries or something, but it covers the actually cool Z logo on the back carpet so that alone is a reason not no use it!

The cover seems to just pop into the two holes above and behind the torsion bar, but I doubt its worth the $500 price tag! It after all only covers up just above the bar, so its just going to get in the way much of the time...

Tinted windows help, and sliding flat things under the carpet layers in back is easy, but I agree with the earlier posters, keeping things on the shelves behind the seats, and behind the passsenger seat is the most convenient way to stow things.

20230314_221035.jpg

20230314_221727.jpg