takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I don't think the Akebono brakes are that much better than the base steel brakes.
The Sport is beginning to make some sense now.....
It only cost me $2500 to have a HLSD installed in my truck.....
And most people who are serious about tracking a Z would probably want better brake kit, lighter wheels and a proven diff....
Could a Sport, with $10K or less in mods, outperform a Performance on the track? Probably...

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I don't think the Akebono brakes are that much better than the base steel brakes.
The Sport is beginning to make some sense now.....
It only cost me $2500 to have a HLSD installed in my truck.....
And most people who are serious about tracking a Z would probably want better brake kit, lighter wheels and a proven diff....
Could a Sport, with $10K or less in mods, outperform a Performance on the track? Probably...
maybe so.

also this reminds me...

download (4).jpeg

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
maybe so.

also this reminds me...

download (4).jpeg
Ah, that one's a little bit unfair.
$10k is probably all the Sport would need, if you wrench on your own car.

LSD
Brake kit
Lightweight wheels (don't go buying the most expensive wheels)
Appropriate tires
Coilovers
Rollbars

My main issue with the Sport would be the 8" infotainment. We'll have to see if people figure out an affordable way to swap that.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
that looks like to swap it ur going to have to remove the dash well not the whole dash if ur lucky maybe that spot under the screen and that part to the passenger side

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Yep Toyota made the best 'marketing' move to quickly deliver the closed deck B58, arguably the best inline six currently, plus its tuning potential. My prior S54 and N54 inlines were some of the smoothest and underrated mills at their times. Then again if Toyota made their own interior to modernize the A80's design I would consider it more, instead it's all BMW eventhough in of itself ergonomically great.
I think Toyota got the upper hand on the partnership, obtaining BMW's B58 gen2 and modern chassis. The Supra car scene is growing mightily and gonna explode soon w/ the MT offering.

I was quite disappointed that the Forsberg formula drift Z car didn't test (or show off) their native engine block, like the other two cars (Papadackis Supra w/ B58). The real question-- will Forsberg adopt the VR30 engine?

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I was quite disappointed that the Forsberg formula drift Z car didn't test (or show off) their native engine block, like the other two cars (Papadackis Supra w/ B58). The real question-- will Forsberg adopt the VR30 engine?
If the Z is to be marketed correctly, yep Forsberg should use the VR30 block. Maybe he isn't confident of the open deck durability and longevity at those high boost and power outputs. I can't find anywhere where he explains this.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
If the Z is to be marketed correctly, yep Forsberg should use the VR30 block. Maybe he isn't confident of the open deck durability and longevity at those high boost and power outputs. I can't find anywhere where he explains this.
There isn't yet a VR30 build that can reliably, consistently produce over 1000 horsepower. The Infiniti cars haven't been the right cars to push the aftermarket for that. We'll see what happens with the Zs making it into private ownership.

His VQ twin turbo did ok, but multiple engine failures pushed him into the VR38, which he has used since 2019. He's likely sticking with the VR38 until the VR30 is more proven. He's got a ton of money invested in his VR38 build, and it already fits in the Z. Too risky to switch at this point.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
He mentioned early on the reason they went with the heart of Godzilla was because of familiarity combined with time crunch (they had weeks to build the thing prior to season starting, so the less variables, the better).

I do not recall him saying anything about next season when there is more time, however I haven't seen the last handful of videos they've put out. If I had to guess, it's simply not a focus right now—they could be working on just getting through the season prior to doing a retrospective/planning session for next.

With that said, I too hope they at least try to see what's possible with it.

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
There isn't yet a VR30 build that can reliably, consistently produce over 1000 horsepower. The Infiniti cars haven't been the right cars to push the aftermarket for that. We'll see what happens with the Zs making it into private ownership.

His VQ twin turbo did ok, but multiple engine failures pushed him into the VR38, which he has used since 2019. He's likely sticking with the VR38 until the VR30 is more proven. He's got a ton of money invested in his VR38 build, and it already fits in the Z. Too risky to switch at this point.
Aside from cost, is there any good reason why his team would switch to the VR30 anyway if they already have a solid VR38 build?

I’m sure the aftermarket will get the Z’s motor into big power territory eventually but its essentially a lower potential, weaker derivative of its “big brother”

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
Ah, that one's a little bit unfair.
$10k is probably all the Sport would need, if you wrench on your own car.

LSD
Brake kit
Lightweight wheels (don't go buying the most expensive wheels)
Appropriate tires
Coilovers
Rollbars

My main issue with the Sport would be the 8" infotainment. We'll have to see if people figure out an affordable way to swap that.
My main issue would be the rev matching feature (no lift shifting would be nice also). With my knees the way they are, I have a hard time doing heel/toe shifting. I also want the 9" info system.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
My main issue would be the rev matching feature (no lift shifting would be nice also). With my knees the way they are, I have a hard time doing heel/toe shifting. I also want the 9" info system.
I agree on the rev matching. It's probably something that can be retrofitted but definitely not cheaply or easily unless there's some aftermarket solution. Makes way more sense to just buy the Performance if you're trying to replicate it exactly how Nissan is doing it from the factory. I maybe used SRM 50% of the time on my 370Z, but the longer I've gone without it on my current car the more I wish it had it.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I'm still good with heel/toe downshifting, my feet hasn't complained yet. Not a deal breaker although a bit spoiled using it in my PP2 GT lately. Still missed all the 3 pedal actions though, don't want to get rusty yet. Who knows in a few years lol

Sereph

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 3.0 Premium
Occupation
Sales
550HP in a rear-wheel drive car like the Z is too much anyway.
I disagree. My Supra makes that much power, is a two seater, and is very much like the Z and I feel like it handles that power perfectly fine everywhere. In the corners, out of the corners, and in the straights. Of course it requires some throttle control but that's what makes it fun! This is just an opinion of course.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I agree on the rev matching. It's probably something that can be retrofitted but definitely not cheaply or easily unless there's some aftermarket solution. Makes way more sense to just buy the Performance if you're trying to replicate it exactly how Nissan is doing it from the factory. I maybe used SRM 50% of the time on my 370Z, but the longer I've gone without it on my current car the more I wish it had it.
Rev match is in the ECU software.

Get an ECU hacker to add it.

Oh wait, they're all getting out of the business because of the EPA......