Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Average new car transaction prices have increased substantially over the past ten years. While the past year has been an anomaly (first COVID year you couldn't give a car away), you can blame it on low rates over an extended time, safety regulations, increased wealth, etc, etc, etc.

Jan-2022-ATPPrice.png

IMHO, a fully loaded sports car for $50k is a relative bargain.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
People are gonna pay that much because it's a new Z. Hell, I know people that paid over $50k for the Evo X when it first came out. Just because they paid that much doesn't make it worth that much.

Nissan has always touted the Z as an affordable sports car. Where did that affordability go? The increase in price for a performance model Z is absolutely ridiculous. $50k isn't affordable for most people. Hell, $40k is barely affordable for most people.

I'm all for people paying whatever they want to pay for whatever they want. Not my money so I don't give a single fuck. What I DO give a fuck about is my money. I think Nissan priced the Z into competition that beats it and priced it way higher than the sum of its parts. If this was a new chassis, new engine, etc. I'd be more for the price increase.

It fucking sucks because I'm a huge Z fan and have wanted to buy a new one since about five years into the 370Z. I just cannot stomach paying $50k. I really hope they release more models that have what I want at a better price.
So basically your upset because you canā€™t afford it and are taking it out on everyone who canā€¦gotcha šŸ‘

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
So basically your upset because you canā€™t afford it and are taking it out on everyone who canā€¦gotcha šŸ‘
Yeah, it seems that way.

But maybe it isn't. What if it's more that the proportion of "those who can" to "those who cannot" tilts unfavorably toward the latter at the current price thereby weakening the Z's "everyman sports car" credentials?

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Because I feel like it? Maybe because I'm pissed about it? Who cares?

Don't like it? Jog on.
You should just wait 'til used ones pop up for $40K then. Let many others here enjoy, in today's market pricing, the $50K package which Nissan tries best to combine components into heritage and performance bits, sure seems like the Z is a nice driving machine compared to previous Zs, that's a win. Forget drag numbers alone, those are old school metrics, now in the domain of most EVs, can't beat them.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Yeah, it seems that way.

But maybe it isn't. What if it's more that the proportion of "those who can" to "those who cannot" tilts unfavorably toward the latter at the current price thereby weakening the Z's "everyman sports car" credentials?
Yeahā€¦I dont think so

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Average new car transaction prices have increased substantially over the past ten years. While the past year has been an anomaly (first COVID year you couldn't give a car away), you can blame it on low rates over an extended time, safety regulations, increased wealth, etc, etc, etc.

Jan-2022-ATPPrice.png

IMHO, a fully loaded sports car for $50k is a relative bargain.
Yep, bingo! Heck we all know trucks and SUVS are even more jacked up. I was happy to grab my Gladiator Rubicon with the pkgs I want at MSRP, and out the door close to $68K. I intend to wheel it hard and camp/overland, what it's built for. Pay (more) to play!

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Yeah, it seems that way.

This. And I think it's interesting some people talking about "just $5,000". Like it's no big deal. For some folks, $5000 is a big deal. Especially if the earlier hoped for $45,000 price was already a stretch goal. It can change the value from worth it to not worth it, depending on the person.

Anyway even 50k is a pipe dream in the foreseeable future for a lot of people. The big spenders will swoop in and snap up Zs with ADMs and "required" dealer installed options. Because everyone knows the Z is really worth 70K+ USD, because that's what people are willing to spend. ;)

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
Awesome in-depth review. Really liked the point about Nissan carefully spending what little R&D money they had for this project.

Thatā€™s a great observation as even though itā€™s heavily based on Z34, its great to hear they were attentive enough to at least update the components that arenā€™t easily modified (chassis tuning, suspension hardpoints, aerodynamics, electronics, etc)

The weak points like tires, exhaust, brakes, n drivetrain tuning are easily remedied in aftermarket, as theyā€™ve always been.

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
ā€Žā€Ž Engineer
This. And I think it's interesting some people talking about "just $5,000". Like it's no big deal. For some folks, $5000 is a big deal. Especially if the earlier hoped for $45,000 price was already a stretch goal. It can change the value from worth it to not worth it, depending on the person.
Agreed! $5000 is a huge sales commission on top of the commission each dealer already gets. So sick of hearing about people willing to pay these ridiculous ADMs.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Just watched it a second time, and it's more than worth another viewing. The guys should be proud of their accomplishment here, I don't think it's too much to call this not just a great review but a work of art. It's definitely moved me back into the "buy" column.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Just watched it a second time, and it's more than worth another viewing. The guys should be proud of their accomplishment here, I don't think it's too much to call this not just a great review but a work of art. It's definitely moved me back into the "buy" column.
Told yaā€¦give it a day or two to settle ā€¦take in the shock, and let it go.
The car is goodā€¦itā€™s more than goodā€¦itā€™s great

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
Told yaā€¦give it a day or two to settle ā€¦take in the shock, and let it go.
The car is goodā€¦itā€™s more than goodā€¦itā€™s great
I'm not denying the car is great. I knew it was going to be.

My problem is, with the way inflation is causing the prices of everything else to go up, I was stretching to afford 45k. The extra 5k prices me out, at least for this year. I will definitely own one if the future, but I'm disappointed that I have to wait.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I'm not denying the car is great. I knew it was going to be.

My problem is, with the way inflation is causing the prices of everything else to go up, I was stretching to afford 45k. The extra 5k prices me out, at least for this year. I will definitely own one if the future, but I'm disappointed that I have to wait.
Now that I understand and agree with
You at least are being honest, and I feel the pain ā€¦inflation is kicking in big time and itā€™s getting harder to make ends meet.
I feel your disappointment and hope that you will be able to get into one as soon as the price drops a bit or you can get a second hand one
Main reason i can still afford it is I sold my Peugeot for a great price back in October ( because of skyrocketing second hand market) and made sure I didnā€™t touch that cash
I can understand disappointment, I can understand financial issuesā€¦.I canā€˜t understand people saying the cars not worth it when the reviews saying itā€™s matching it with the Supra but is still a big chunk cheaper, nor people getting supremely angry at others who will buy because they are disappointed.

Who knows maybe there will be a nice surpruse and the cost includes a tax or something that you werenā€™t expecting to be included, but if not I hope you get lucky and find one a bit cheaper in 6-12 months timeā€¦maybe an ex demo or somethingā€¦.Iā€™m sure Nissan wants as many people in them as possible as much as we do

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
yea i think people might of gotten upset at pricing and the gappening that happened in a race but really 12.3 is not slow, fuck my old 94 cobra ran 14.7 when i first got it lol, but yea .2-.3 sec feels like an eternity.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
@dezoris - Wanted to post up on here and commend you and your team on this video. This is a glimmer of hope in a sea of clickbaiting youtubers that begin every video with "HAY GUYZ TODAY WE ARE HERE". There is passion and insightful analysis here along with absolutely beautiful videography. You guys are the real deal - thank you for your work here and thank you for taking the time to discuss your experience with us here on this forum.

I'm really looking forward to owning another Z - just gotta work money and timing.