95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Well for startersā€¦itā€™s 240 in the Us, 240 in Japan, Proto available in Aus and Iā€™m guessing there would be 240 here
If Canada, NZ or anyone else gets some you are looking at least 1000
When I thought about it, and then thought, I actually like the performance wheels more than the Protos on the yellow so what would I get for the extra 10k, and came up with stitching, yellow calibres and badgesā€¦.I decided against it, and went for the normal ( almost performance US) model. I just couldnā€™t justify 10k difference for the small changes . The callipers could be spray painted for 1k or less, I donā€™t really like extra badges ( many of you are taking what little is on it already off) so the only thing that I really care that Iā€™m missing out on is the splash of yellow in the interior

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Well for startersā€¦itā€™s 240 in the Us, 240 in Japan, Proto available in Aus and Iā€™m guessing there would be 240 here
If Canada, NZ or anyone else gets some you are looking at least 1000
When I thought about it, and then thought, I actually like the performance wheels more than the Protos on the yellow so what would I get for the extra 10k, and came up with stitching, yellow calibres and badgesā€¦.I decided against it, and went for the normal ( almost performance US) model. I just couldnā€™t justify 10k difference for the small changes . The callipers could be spray painted for 1k or less, I donā€™t really like extra badges ( many of you are taking what little is on it already off) so the only thing that I really care that Iā€™m missing out on is the splash of yellow in the interior
i get what you're saying...the small differences really aren't worth the extra $ for what you get.

but there are collectors and enthusiasts out there who will pay for it because it is limited and want something "special". years from now they will command a premium for an "authentic proto z"...kinda like how nissan v specs are rare

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
who plans/hopes to get one of the 240 made?

I have one on order here in Australia.

However as West Aussie has said unlike the US and Japan where they have stated how many will be available we don't know how many will be available here. All we know is that all Proto Z destined for the Australian market have all been spoken for and the only way to get one now is if someones cancels their order and you are next on the wait-list.

I have a sad feeling that we will also get 240 here, but as we are a much smaller market it will make it far less special and rare here which will defeat the purpose of it being limited edition.

Obviously the 240 units available is a homage to the original Z car, but having that many available for our market makes little sense when the US market is over 10 times the size of ours.

I sort of speculated in the dedicated Aussie thread that the only other number that I could think of that would work for a smaller market like ours would be 50 as the Proto Z is based on the Proto Concept which was created for the 50th anniversary of Z cars.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
i get what you're saying...the small differences really aren't worth the extra $ for what you get.

but there are collectors and enthusiasts out there who will pay for it because it is limited and want something "special". years from now they will command a premium for an "authentic proto z"...kinda like how nissan v specs are rare
Get what your sayingā€¦but after owning a car that only had 500 made world wideā€¦I didnā€™t get any extra mileage out of itā€¦but I do understand for some itā€™s worthwhile

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
congrats @Tdog87

as far as im aware it's been announced 240 units for japan and 240 for usa. if they split 240 protos between aus, nz and canada...that would def make more sense.

all 3 countries share the similar specs like left hand drive, km speedo and celsius temp gauge. not sure about the various safety requirements...

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
if they split 240 protos between aus, nz and canada...that would def make more sense.

all 3 countries share the similar specs like left hand drive, km speedo and celsius temp gauge. not sure about the various safety requirements...
Unfortunately that won't work at least with Canada in the mix. Australia and NZ are RHD markets like Japan so we can't really share vehicles with Canada but between Australia and NZ maybe possible.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Get what your sayingā€¦but after owning a car that only had 500 made world wideā€¦I didnā€™t get any extra mileage out of itā€¦but I do understand for some itā€™s worthwhile
im a bit jealous you guys in canada and aus will be able to get the proto for msrp...that will not happen here in the usa, not sure about japan.

even if you get 240, it's not likely you'll see one every day or often. you both have populations in the millions and vast land masses. collectors will not drive them much and some dealers purchase them to keep on display. enthusiasts will also baby them and try to keep the mileage low.

i never set my sights on one because im sure they'll be auctioned off for more than im willing to pay. i planned to drive and enjoy mine. I'd be smart to wait on the hype to die down and hold out for the nismo and have it built to my specs...

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Unfortunately that won't work at least with Canada in the mix. Australia and NZ are RHD markets like Japan so we can't really share vehicles with Canada but between Australia and NZ maybe possible.
funny...i bought my first mkiv supra from a guy in canada back in 2010 (hence my screen name).

it always stuck in my head about him saying our countries were lhd, but we had to wait 15 yrs (canada) and 25 yrs (usa) to import rhd cars from japan or europe. i forget about you silly-siders at the bottom of the world...

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
was your car one you imported or did you buy at a dealership?

do you guys have a 15-25 rule like canada or usa before you can legally import a from another country?

also, are you allowed to drive left hand drive vehicles there?

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
was your car one you imported or did you buy at a dealership?

Dealership. Got lucky, the Peugeot RCZ type R wasnā€™t a well known sports car, and the dealership was going broke, plus it was a demoā€¦.so got it pretty cheap.
im so sad I sold that car ?
especially as now I have only my sons till the Z comes

do you guys have a 15-25 rule like canada or usa before you can legally import a from another country?

also, are you allowed to drive left hand drive vehicles there?
donā€˜t know what a 15-25 rule isā€¦.but pretty sure you can import anything if you have the money and so,done whoknows what they are doing

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
donā€˜t know what a 15-25 rule isā€¦.but pretty sure you can import anything if you have the money and so,done whoknows what they are doing
in the usa you can't import any foreign market (non usdm) until it is at least 25 years old. canada has a similar law but it's 15 yrs.

basically a law north american bmw and mercedes dealerships got passed to keep us from purchasing those cars directly from europe for far less than the dealers were charging us here.

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
in the usa you can't import any foreign market (non usdm) until it is at least 25 years old. canada has a similar law but it's 15 yrs.
In Australia it varies from State to State generally it is 30yrs for most States but some States it is 15yrs for importing LHD cars.

However there is also a rolling 25yr rule that came into effect in 2019. Which alllows you to import any car without the need of conversion

For our market it is mainly American cars that would be imported under these rules as we obviously don't have to do it for JDM vehicles.

For JDM vehicles we can import much newer cars the exception is if the car was sold in Australia and if so then the 25 yr rule applies.

I am not an expert on these things but maybe someone with better knowledge will be able to clarify things better.

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
Not for LHD drive cars though. The rules above apply mainly for LHD cars.

You can only import a newer LHD if you get it converted.

Like Ram pickups are imported into Australia and then converted to RHD in a plant in Melbourne for example.