NissanZClub Markup Thread

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Thatā€™s a huge mark up, I donā€™t understand how they get away with itā€¦but before I open that can of worms againā€¦

With the 10k extra how does that realistically compare to what else you can buy at the moment.
In Aus the Proto is around 90K drive away, which sounds huge.
Huge that is until you start seeing the prices of anything decent second hand.

I started looking at second had Jag F types, nothing under 100k and they are 4/5 years old

The whole car market is crazy at the moment. If you donā€™t NEED a car then wait.
But if you are like me and do, then it really doesnā€™t matter what I buy because the prices are going to be through the roof regardless, so I might as well buy what I want

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Thatā€™s a huge mark up, I donā€™t understand how they get away with itā€¦but before I open that can of worms againā€¦

With the 10k extra how does that realistically compare to what else you can buy at the moment.

I started looking at second had Jag F types, nothing under 100k and they are 4/5 years old

The whole car market is crazy at the moment. If you donā€™t NEED a car then wait.
But if you are like me and do, then it really doesnā€™t matter what I buy because the prices are going to be through the roof regardless, so I might as well buy what I want
Of late I'm kind of down on the car hobby in general. The prices, hijinks and aggravations. Big spenders bogarting vehicles, jacked up costs on automotive related items.

This week I wanted to build a welding table with my son, for use in some fabrications for our old Jeep and Land Rover, but even the cost of metal is ridiculous. For some reason that felt like the last straw, and I'm thinking about stepping away from the car hobby for a while, focus on other things in life. Will see ...

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional

Dealers can get away with it by utilizing the excuse (now) that was a reason before; No inventory, so no sales, so they say to hit their sales goal ($ amount vs qty of cars sold) they have to mark up their current inventory cars to make up for the loss.

Its understandable to a certain degree, since during the pandemic, there has been massive growth in income levels for certain disciplines, hence allowing for slightly more flexible spending then before on cars, houses etc. Not to say the pandemic hasn't affected many people negatively either. But to stay on point, many who will get the proto will get it just to flip the car, which makes sense for those kind of buyers who just do it in terms of gains/losses.

A professor of mine bought a 458 Speciale A for ~$500k 2 years ago when prices were increasing slightly and recently sold it (after a bidding war) for $1.1M. He drove it a total of 10 times and that too only giving rides to family/friends.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
Won't there only be 240? If I really wanted a proto I think at the moment $10k mark up is justifiable.

As a former Nissan salesman I wonder how soon rebates will apply for th Z. Have they ever? I remember 2 1/2 years ago seeing base models going as low as $28k. $2,000 rebate at the most is what we will see December through March. Remember, that is the best time to buy a car.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
When the Toyota MR2 Spyder released in April 2000, there were accounts of $12-15k markup. One CA dealer refused a customer who had $10k in cash. Of course, only 1,600 a year were imported then.

Traditionally, new cars dept has some of the lowest profit at a dealer. To me, that not having inventory is not a reason for a dealer to not make a profit.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I just got a text from one of the dealerships I've contacted over the what feels like years at this point, and they said they've an AT Proto en route. Morbidly curious to ask what they're gonna mark it up for, honestly almost afraid to ask.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Stopped by my dealer, said new Z dealer orientation in appx 2 weeks, then 2-3 weeks after that, before avail for sale. A manual proto is coming, said expect $15-$20K ADM. Totally expected and nothing really new here.

Manual Proto Spec is probably a smaller %, thinking about flipping it. What do you think?! ;)šŸ¤­