Choose your fighter!

• Total voters

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Plug in? In the Z it shouldn’t be plug in. Should be via blue tooth, once connected reconnects every time you enter, at least it does in Hondas, I’m surprised that so many like the 370 relied on cords. My Peugeot is blue tooth and is almost 8 years old!
I previously shared that train of thought, but nothing beats hardwiring a device. At least not with current technology.

The area below the infotainment center looks like it should be able to fit a phone well enough, will just have to get creative in how we plug in - maybe a super short cable so it doesn't require coiling, which would, of course, limit the ability to use the phone when plugged in. An issue for future us to figure out.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I previously shared that train of thought, but nothing beats hardwiring a device. At least not with current technology.

The area below the infotainment center looks like it should be able to fit a phone well enough, will just have to get creative in how we plug in - maybe a super short cable so it doesn't require coiling, which would, of course, limit the ability to use the phone when plugged in. An issue for future us to figure out.
Sorry, blonde moment here…but are you saying the phone has to be plugged in?
I thought the ports were for charging a phone.

As mentioned both the my current car plus my husbands Honda Civic have ports, but they are only for initial set up and to charge the phone.
The rest of the time the car registers that we have our phone on us and automatically connects through Bluetooth…never had any connectivity issues

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Sorry, blonde moment here…but are you saying the phone has to be plugged in?
I thought the ports were for charging a phone.

As mentioned both the my current car plus my husbands Honda Civic have ports, but they are only for initial set up and to charge the phone.
The rest of the time the car registers that we have our phone on us and automatically connects through Bluetooth…never had any connectivity issues
Ah, you're good. From the looks of the spec sheet, we've the option to either Bluetooth it or plug in. My current vehicle has both, however I've just had better luck with plugging it in. Better audio quality, the benefit of charging, all that.

EDIT: Reread your comment, and now I'm wondering - on my current vehicle, it has to be plugged into a specific USB port (there are two in the arm rest) for Apple CarPlay to work. Looking at the photos from the car (second photo), there's a USB-C port and an OG USB port, neither of which are specifically labeled. I wonder now...

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 1.55.01 PM.png

1629741544246.png

OP
OP
Andaesthetics

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Ah, you're good. From the looks of the spec sheet, we've the option to either Bluetooth it or plug in. My current vehicle has both, however I've just had better luck with plugging it in. Better audio quality, the benefit of charging, all that.

EDIT: Reread your comment, and now I'm wondering - on my current vehicle, it has to be plugged into a specific USB port (there are two in the arm rest) for Apple CarPlay to work. Looking at the photos from the car (second photo), there's a USB-C port and an OG USB port. I wonder now...
Just like any modern car you'll have the option of both. It says right there "Streaming Audio via Bluetooth" is standard for both trims. All you would do is change the audio source on the infotainment display to be either Bluetooth or USB.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
Just like any modern car you'll have the option of both. It says right there "Streaming Audio via Bluetooth" is standard for both trims. All you would do is change the audio source on the infotainment display to be either Bluetooth or USB.
In my wife's '21 Rogue, I can stream via Bluetooth but it has to be plugged into the USB for Apple CarPlay. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

OP
OP
Andaesthetics

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In my wife's '21 Rogue, I can stream via Bluetooth but it has to be plugged into the USB for Apple CarPlay. Unless I'm doing something wrong.
Must be doing something wrong. Bluetooth/CarPlay shouldn't require plugging anything in.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Must be doing something wrong. Bluetooth/CarPlay shouldn't require plugging anything in.
Bluetooth =/= CarPlay.

The brand-agnostic term for Apple CarPlay/Android Auto is Smartphone Projection. (Bluetooth streaming is completely separate technology). The first Smartphone Projection implementations require cable connection. Wireless implementation is newer, and it utilizes both a WiFi AP and bluetooth connectivity to work. Wireless Apple CarPlay is a relatively new thing in the auto industry - I believe the first models that offered this were 2018 or 2019 at the oldest.

Wife's previous 2020 Audi Q7 was the first year for the Q7 to have wireless smartphone projection. My 20 Titan and her 20 QX80 require it to be plugged in. (yes, she ditched the Audi within 6 months of owning it - long story, but the short version is "good riddance". That car was not a fit for us). While both the Titan at QX80 are equipped with onboard WiFi, they don't offer wireless smartphone projection for whatever reason.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP
Andaesthetics

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bluetooth =/= CarPlay.
According to the article below, wireless CarPlay is only available on the Platinum trim Rogue. It also includes wireless charging. Her's is the SL model, one step down. Now it remains to be seen what Nissan will include in the Performance trim on the Z.

https://www.idropnews.com/reviews/n...ow-wireless-carplay-is-a-game-changer/154229/
Wireless CarPlay will be in the new Z.

As confirmed here.
Roughly ~20:31 into this, he confirms wireless Apple CarPlay - Android Auto TBD