Nissan Z vs. Subaru BRZ - POV Driving Impressions

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Yes it can, but it's still an extra electronic gimmick attached to the system. Something else that could go wrong and cause problems.

It's completely unnecessary. There's no such silliness on my 200sx, nor any of my families previous cars since the 1970s (my mother's current VW doesn't count since it's the one automatic we ever had), nor any non-automatic loan car from the mechanic / paint shop or work car I've ever driven ... and I've never met anyone who has accidentally shifted into reverse while driving.
Nissan's rev match system is just a sensor. Should it fail, I imagine the system just becomes inoperable and you just continue driving the car normally.

As to the lockout, I don't find it necessary myself, however it's there as a "just in case". Nothing wrong with that - same as pushing in the clutch to start the car. It's a modern day nanny to prevent mishaps.

And while I've never shifted into reverse while driving (forward ;)), and I've never met anyone that's done that either, I'm sure someone has. Any and all stupid shit you can think of has been accomplished by some human at some point in time.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Nissan's rev match system is just a sensor. Should it fail, I imagine the system just becomes inoperable and you just continue driving the car normally.
You would hope so, but there's always the possibility it would "fail" in the "on" position ... it might still be drivable (depending on how badly it failed!*), but it's likely to be an expensive fix of a extra electronic gimmick.

* I can imagine it failing and then continually rev-matching to a lower and lower or higher and higher limit.

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
I hear ya but it has been well battle tested in the 370. General consensus is that it works well.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
How is epas gimmick? It eliminates the need for a pump, and if done right, get be pretty close to the feel of a hydraulic system.
Close enough isn't good enough. One thing I fucking LOVE about my Evo is having all the analog goodness - throttle, clutch, power steering, etc. Only wizardry was the AWD system.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
And while I've never shifted into reverse while driving (forward ;)), and I've never met anyone that's done that either, I'm sure someone has. Any and all stupid shit you can think of has been accomplished by some human at some point in time.
I've shifted into reverse, but that was in my mail truck which is almost impossible to feel what gear you're shifting into (especially some of the VERY used trucks where you need to shift into 1 to actually be in D lol).

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
You would hope so, but there's always the possibility it would "fail" in the "on" position ... it might still be drivable (depending on how badly it failed!*), but it's likely to be an expensive fix of a extra electronic gimmick.

* I can imagine it failing and then continually rev-matching to a lower and lower or higher and higher limit.
Why do you think of Nissan’s SRM mode as a gimmick? You get perfect rev matches every single time, far more consistently than any human could do; That doesn’t exactly meet the traditional definition of a “gimmick” (i.e. a feature with overstated usefulness that’s not actually very useful in practice)

And if you’ve ever rev matched in a 6MT 370Z without it on, it’s a PITA with the stupid nonlinear response of the stock throttle position map.