Nissan Z vs. Subaru BRZ - POV Driving Impressions

Sam_AusZ32

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 JDM Fairlady Z32 TT, MT, 2+2
Watching this now, this review is really well done. He mentions that it's still a visceral and engaging driving experience, and likens it to the 90's JDM hero's- I can't express how bloody keen I am to get behind the wheel.
Hopefully not long now!

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Nice decent review on both. One take though, does anyone think the infotainment screen esp with more reliance on using nav nowadays, should be higher and the vents placed on each side. That's the only gripe I have on the new Z. I know maybe because of the 370Z-based, but can be improved.

Last edited:

Supremekai

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z
Nice decent review on both. One take though, does anyone think the infotainment screen esp with more reliance on using nav nowadays, should be higher and the vents placed on each side. That's the only grip I have on the new Z. I know maybe because of the 370Z-based, but can be improved.
We don't get Nav though. 😂

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
One take though, does anyone think the infotainment screen esp with more reliance on using nav nowadays, should be higher and the vents placed on each side.
IMO Nissan not sticking a distracting infotainment screen high in the cabin was an excellent design decision aesthetically. If eye level navigation is a priority, Performance trim (except in Canada) can display navigation in the instrument panel.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
IMO Nissan not sticking a distracting infotainment screen high in the cabin was an excellent design decision aesthetically. If eye level navigation is a priority, Performance trim (except in Canada) can display navigation in the instrument panel.
Totally agree, not the propped up above dash type, I’m talking about just shift it higher in the dash and move the vents to its side.

2017370ZBlack

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
Actually quite an honest and in-depth review. Nice to see that BRZ still does really well, even when compared to the Z. It's always something I've considered purchasing in the past. They're such great little cars for what they are.
Never cared for the Subaru engine.
By the way, Camissa has a punchable face. Can't stand that smug clown.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Nice to see that BRZ still does really well, even when compared to the Z. It's always something I've considered purchasing in the past. They're such great little cars for what they are.
The new Z is obviously more powerful (partly needs to be since it's also heavier) and a bit better refined as a "GT experience", but the BRZ/Toyota 86 is perhaps the better "driver's car" because it doesn't have electronic gimmickry interfering in the steering and gearstick, and being lighter is likely more nimble feeling.

Both have silly reverse gear selection methods though - there's no need to have a push-down / pull-up system. :(

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
The new Z is obviously more powerful (partly needs to be since it's also heavier) and a bit better refined as a "GT experience", but the BRZ/Toyota 86 is perhaps the better "driver's car" because it doesn't have electronic gimmickry interfering in the steering and gearstick, and being lighter is likely more nimble feeling.

Both have silly reverse gear selection methods though - there's no need to have a push-down / pull-up system. :(
How is epas gimmick? It eliminates the need for a pump, and if done right, get be pretty close to the feel of a hydraulic system.

And how is the gear stick gimmicky? Because of the auto rev match? That can be turned off. Not to mention that I wouldn't mind it in heavy traffic.

And the push down/pull up reverse is a lockout mechanism.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Nice decent review on both. One take though, does anyone think the infotainment screen esp with more reliance on using nav nowadays, should be higher and the vents placed on each side. That's the only gripe I have on the new Z. I know maybe because of the 370Z-based, but can be improved.
Could care less.
My wife's new Toyota has the higher up screen compared to my Q60. Doesn't affect my feelings between either car.

I'd be happy with a double DIN blank.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
get be pretty close to the feel of a hydraulic system
You must be an engineer ..."pretty close is close enough". ;)

auto rev match? That can be turned off
Yes it can, but it's still an extra electronic gimmick attached to the system. Something else that could go wrong and cause problems.

And the push down/pull up reverse is a lockout mechanism.
It's completely unnecessary. There's no such silliness on my 200sx, nor any of my families previous cars since the 1970s (my mother's current VW doesn't count since it's the one automatic we ever had), nor any non-automatic loan car from the mechanic / paint shop or work car I've ever driven ... and I've never met anyone who has accidentally shifted into reverse while driving.