First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
Exactly my thoughts.. This would logically make more sense with the baby GTR reference. The engine is dated and wouldn't need to be mass produced if they keep numbers low for the Nismo. I just hope if they go this route they keep the manual as an option.. But I also have a feeling if they do go this route it will only be one option.. an auto..

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
Actually the Q60/50 and 370Z are on the same "FM" platform (as was the G37, G35, G25, FX... and so on), so AWD has been an option all along. Now that the new Z is again on the same exact platform, it could be offered. And they all go down the same assembly line.
And why - traction. As the power increases, it's increasingly harder to put it down to the ground. Imagine the GT-R without AWD - it'd be a waste of time. Consider why Ford's RWD GT500 and the upcoming AWD Mach-E+ have the same 0-60 time. The GT500 is at a dead end from a traction standpoint and it shows in it's relatively poor acceleration.
If you've driven a Q50/60 with AWD you can start to see the advantages. It's not tuned specifically as a performance AWD (for example with LSD in the diffs, or varying fr/rr ratios), but the basic bits are there and could be used. And there are practical and even marketing reasons too since the 370Z is a handful in water or snow... which is the larger part of the country. A big selling point on the Q50/60 has been it's AWD option, where buyers wouldn't and couldn't have even considered it otherwise because of where they live.

Last edited:

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
VR38 under the hood.
And then what happens to the GT-R? It's sales are almost at a standstill... it's too heavy to complete against Porsche 911 anymore, development has come to a standstill and it's hard to see what else could be done to it. If you give away it's major differentiator, and you create a Z with it's engine (which also requires AWD and much enhanced braking to handle the increased power), then there is less reason left for the GT-R.
Did you see the recent editorial on the Eau Rouge? Too much power for the chassis, not enough braking, too unstable, and by the time you've fixed everything the pricing is well over 100k. Now stick all that in the far shorter wheelbase Z, and it's completely untenable proposition.
You also have to consider realism here... why hasn't the current 370Z sold? Many reasons, but a big one is that the price is sky-high and the performance and tech are not in proportion. The car hasn't changed since it came out, even the Nismo was a tiny tiny increment for very little money. IMHO development money should be earmarked for continuous improvements along it's lifetime. And we should hope for some major *new* focus on the Q50/60, which are very dated at the moment, sinking in the market, and in much need of some work themselves. Because they, with their fat margins, help pay the bill for the Z platform, engines and drivetrains. And they will one day pay the bill for the inevitable hybrid Z (which is the only way to sell the new Z in Europe in the short term, where the V-6TT doesn't pass emissions, and which they need to do for volume - as Ford learned with the Mustang where Europe is a significant part of the revenue) and in a future generation for an electric Z (ditto in the early 2030s which from a planning perspective is coming up fast).
And we are all talking about the hoped-for price advantage over the Supra... the Z should be much lower since it's built on a shared Infiniti platform and engine (advantages and limitations). But now we're also talking about adding even more - far more - cost to that. Doesn't make financial sense... especially with the absolutely tiny and minimal development budget that Nissan has for the new Z.

Last edited:

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
You are right. Nissan isn't in a position to offer much of anything and I'm thankful for what they have announced with the current Z. Even if they give the new Z the same treatment as the last Z's Nismos I would be greatful.

Just please no piano black..

Heavy Dupree

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 AMG C63S, 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Retired
400hp VR30 is already pushing the envelope on stock Turbos.

I'm personally hoping for a VR38 under the hood.
It would be significantly cheaper for Nismo to upgrade the turbos, fuel injection, trans/diff and mapping than drop a VR38 into this car.

Using current VR38 crate motor pricing only as a reference point, this engine alone could realistically add $35-$40K on top of the cost of the car.

Nissan sold approximately 300 GT-Rs in the US in 2020. About 3000 Nismo 370Z's were produced in its last iteration.

For shits and giggles, let's speculate that a vehicle like this would cost around $80-$90k (or somewhere between the last Nismo 370 and the GT-R) for a Godzilla Nismo Z, most likely more.

By necessity the production numbers would have to be very low.

Rare, yes...Collectible, indeed. Brutally fast, absolutely. Safe to say even legendary.

Its always fun to fantacize, but I'm not holding my breath.

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
If they upgraded parts like that on factory cars that's like going back to the 90's. Back when they didn't put fake carbon on rogues and sentras and calling them NISMOs.

Always nice to dream.. Also, can we get this version back..
1617645196085.png

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 Mazda Rx8
Occupation
Service Advisor Nissan
I agree with Driving Enthusiast, I believe the new Nismo will feature the 3.0 turbo engine with a small horsepower bump. I think most of the R&D will go to the suspension, aero, and weight savings. Maybe 430hp and 100 pound weight savings.

Heavy Dupree

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 AMG C63S, 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Retired
I read the article, notice that there is absolutely no source cited for that HP and TQ graph. Just another horseshit interweb journamalist leading readers to believe it was a Nissan official quote.

IMPUL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Infiniti g35x, 2015 Nissan Micra
Occupation
Liuna Local 183
I read the article, notice that there is absolutely no source cited for that HP and TQ graph. Just another horseshit interweb journamalist leading readers to believe it was a Nissan official quote.
Very true. But, it would make sense as to why the nismo has a jump in price. And also makes sense as to why all the rest are 400hp and not 300hp base. They knew 300base wouldn’t make sense against the 370z

So all the them had to be 400Hp versions.
But nismo ALWAYS, has a little bit extra.

So this kinda really makes sense, andddddd confirms the reliability up to 600hp as seen on the forums

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
Why is it saying 2023? I'm assuming that is when the Nismo will first come out. If the pricing on these cars is accurate, it really does sound like a good deal for the fact that the GTR only has around 600hp and cost in the low six figures.

IMPUL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Liuna Local 183
Why is it saying 2023? I'm assuming that is when the Nismo will first come out. If the pricing on these cars is accurate, it really does sound like a good deal for the fact that the GTR only has around 600hp and cost in the low six figures.
Thats what’s lending it some credibility.
This “Z” is like a smaller TT version of a GTT
to its larger TT big brother version GTR.

top of line : big big money
Gtt- reasonable “people’s car” but very similar to gtr.

the Z is the people’s gtr. We’ve ( the RWD manual turbo people’s) have been harassing Nissan For this car at any event They are at. I’m so glad they actually did it.

IMPUL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Liuna Local 183
It is a real quote, respectfully referring to a lighter, smaller 2 seat coupe with a ridiculous power to weight ratio like the Godzilla Skyline. NOT that both cars would necessarily share a similar drivetrain.

exactly like I just said inmy last post.
It already is a baby gtr.
3.0 v 3.8
smaller disco potatoes
Less horsepower.
but the engine from what they”called” skyline eg. q50/q60 Into a “Z”

They put a modern version of “300zx engine” into a GTR, to make the gtr ( why it’s not called skyline )
Why not put a “skyline engine” into a “Z” and make baby gtr.
This makes a lot of sense;
There’s now;
GTR
Skyline
And fairlady Z all pushing turbos and 400hp +

this is the Nissan, I grew up with.

this is how I Interpret baby GTR

Status
Not open for further replies.