Nissan Z Nismo : News, Updates, & Speculation

Seong

Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
What do you think we'll see in terms of upgrades on the Nismo 400Z? Obviously it'll get aero parts like chin spoiler, trunk spoiler, sideskirts, wheels. What about on the performance improvement side?

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, 18' Accord 1.5T Sport
Occupation
Finance Professional
Like all the Nismo iterations Nissan has released since the 350z, they all have the same type of performance improvements; Exhaust upgrade and slight engine tuning difference (negligible on 350/370z nismos). Main "performance" updates will come through the bodywork and then similar to the Silver Sport vs Red Sport Q models, tuning differences.

timszee

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corolla
Anyone have any thoughts on this "Baby GT-R" comment that has been floating around? Do you think this is going to be like the past two Z generations or will it be like the other comment stating more than a body kit?

If they do make this a baby GT-R will they bring over the 3.8 from the R35 or the AWD from the Q60? If they do either will it have the option of including a manual or will that make this auto only?

If they do either bring over the 3.8 and keep the manual trans that's going in it now what price range do you think?

My thoughts are they will carry over the 3.8 detune it, keep the manual, throw the GT-R brakes on it, NISMO body kit, Recaros, and it will come in at 60-65.. I can dream...

Andaesthetics

Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z
There's absolutely no way they will change the engine. It will definitely be the 3.0 VR; just tuned to make more power. A different body kit is expected of course. I don't see them making it AWD, ever. The Z is known as a RWD sports car. The whole point of this new Z is the heritage behind it, recalling past Zs design and heritage. AWD would completely defeat that purpose. And I'm more than sure a manual will be offered. GTR 6 piston Brembos are reasonable and probably likely. Price range is going to start at least $55,000.

timszee

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corolla
Never say never. I know there was talk of making the corvette mid engine for a very long, and some people think it's terrible. There's also a 4-door electric mustang.. If the baby GT-R quote is actually real and not some hype or BS the only thing that would make them have something in common would be the engine or drivetrain. Nissan has the ability to make both happen logically.. The new Z is a 370 with a new engine and cosmetics which used the VQ. We know twins fit under the hood with the VQ in the 370, the 3.8 IS possible but not financially logical. After thinking about the space under the 370 there wouldn't be the space to fit the drivetrain from the Q60.

Regardless of what direction they go I'm beyond excited with everything they have announced so far and cannot wait to hear actual information from Nissan. I just hope they take that glossy/piano black from the steering wheel in those recent leaks on the air transport.

50thZ

First Name
Rudy
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 370z 50th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired

Heavy Dupree

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 AMG C63S, 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Cardiology
After thinking about the space under the 370 there wouldn't be the space to fit the drivetrain from the Q60.
Z1 Motorsports has demonstrated that you should probably reconsider your thinking. They've been doing the VR30DDTT/Z34 engine swap since at least 2018.

Last edited:

Heavy Dupree

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Cardiology
If the baby GT-R quote is actually real and not some hype or BS the only thing that would make them have something in common would be the engine or drivetrain.
It is a real quote, respectfully referring to a lighter, smaller 2 seat coupe with a ridiculous power to weight ratio like the Godzilla Skyline. NOT that both cars would necessarily share a similar drivetrain.

Last edited:

timszee

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corolla
Obviously the VR30 is going to be the engine.. The space I am referring to is the AWD system the Q60 has the option of, the 370 was not built to accompany this.

Houston.Z35

Reaction score
Car(s)
Q50S RS 400
400hp VR30 is already pushing the envelope on stock Turbos.

I'm personally hoping for a VR38 under the hood.

timszee

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corolla
Exactly my thoughts.. This would logically make more sense with the baby GTR reference. The engine is dated and wouldn't need to be mass produced if they keep numbers low for the Nismo. I just hope if they go this route they keep the manual as an option.. But I also have a feeling if they do go this route it will only be one option.. an auto..

DrivingEnthusiast

Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Stillen 'charged G37S, Boss 302
Actually the Q60/50 and 370Z are on the same "FM" platform (as was the G37, G35, G25, FX... and so on), so AWD has been an option all along. Now that the new Z is again on the same exact platform, it could be offered. And they all go down the same assembly line.
And why - traction. As the power increases, it's increasingly harder to put it down to the ground. Imagine the GT-R without AWD - it'd be a waste of time. Consider why Ford's RWD GT500 and the upcoming AWD Mach-E+ have the same 0-60 time. The GT500 is at a dead end from a traction standpoint and it shows in it's relatively poor acceleration.
If you've driven a Q50/60 with AWD you can start to see the advantages. It's not tuned specifically as a performance AWD (for example with LSD in the diffs, or varying fr/rr ratios), but the basic bits are there and could be used. And there are practical and even marketing reasons too since the 370Z is a handful in water or snow... which is the larger part of the country. A big selling point on the Q50/60 has been it's AWD option, where buyers wouldn't and couldn't have even considered it otherwise because of where they live.

Last edited:

DrivingEnthusiast

Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Stillen 'charged G37S, Boss 302
VR38 under the hood.
And then what happens to the GT-R? It's sales are almost at a standstill... it's too heavy to complete against Porsche 911 anymore, development has come to a standstill and it's hard to see what else could be done to it. If you give away it's major differentiator, and you create a Z with it's engine (which also requires AWD and much enhanced braking to handle the increased power), then there is less reason left for the GT-R.
Did you see the recent editorial on the Eau Rouge? Too much power for the chassis, not enough braking, too unstable, and by the time you've fixed everything the pricing is well over 100k. Now stick all that in the far shorter wheelbase Z, and it's completely untenable proposition.
You also have to consider realism here... why hasn't the current 370Z sold? Many reasons, but a big one is that the price is sky-high and the performance and tech are not in proportion. The car hasn't changed since it came out, even the Nismo was a tiny tiny increment for very little money. IMHO development money should be earmarked for continuous improvements along it's lifetime. And we should hope for some major *new* focus on the Q50/60, which are very dated at the moment, sinking in the market, and in much need of some work themselves. Because they, with their fat margins, help pay the bill for the Z platform, engines and drivetrains. And they will one day pay the bill for the inevitable hybrid Z (which is the only way to sell the new Z in Europe in the short term, where the V-6TT doesn't pass emissions, and which they need to do for volume - as Ford learned with the Mustang where Europe is a significant part of the revenue) and in a future generation for an electric Z (ditto in the early 2030s which from a planning perspective is coming up fast).
And we are all talking about the hoped-for price advantage over the Supra... the Z should be much lower since it's built on a shared Infiniti platform and engine (advantages and limitations). But now we're also talking about adding even more - far more - cost to that. Doesn't make financial sense... especially with the absolutely tiny and minimal development budget that Nissan has for the new Z.

Last edited:

timszee

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corolla
You are right. Nissan isn't in a position to offer much of anything and I'm thankful for what they have announced with the current Z. Even if they give the new Z the same treatment as the last Z's Nismos I would be greatful.

Just please no piano black..

Heavy Dupree

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Cardiology
400hp VR30 is already pushing the envelope on stock Turbos.

I'm personally hoping for a VR38 under the hood.
It would be significantly cheaper for Nismo to upgrade the turbos, fuel injection, trans/diff and mapping than drop a VR38 into this car.

Using current VR38 crate motor pricing only as a reference point, this engine alone could realistically add $35-$40K on top of the cost of the car.

Nissan sold approximately 300 GT-Rs in the US in 2020. About 3000 Nismo 370Z's were produced in its last iteration.

For shits and giggles, let's speculate that a vehicle like this would cost around $80-$90k (or somewhere between the last Nismo 370 and the GT-R) for a Godzilla Nismo Z, most likely more.

By necessity the production numbers would have to be very low.

Rare, yes...Collectible, indeed. Brutally fast, absolutely. Safe to say even legendary.

Its always fun to fantacize, but I'm not holding my breath.