Nissan Z Concept To Debut This Fall! 500+ HP Hybrid Z May Be In The Works

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
After years of rumor and speculation about the fate of Nissan's legendary Z sports car, we now have word that the company will be unveiling the next-generation Nissan Z Concept this October at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show!

While the next Z car is expected to share similar proportions as the current 370Z, it is likely to also ride on the shorter-wheelbase Infiniti FR-L platform and adopt design characteristics from the Nissan GT-R.

Nissan isn't playing it safe either, as rumors indicate that a hybrid Nissan Z with a DCT gearbox and electric motor could crank out a whopping 500 horsepower and make it the most powerful in its class.

Nissan Z Concept Coming; Production Car Could Reach 500 Horsepower

NissanZConcept-876x535.jpg

It has been more than eight years since the current Nissan 370Z went on sale, but Nissan’s legendary Z-car soon will get its long-awaited redesign. The first major step will be taken at the Tokyo auto show this fall, where Nissan will reveal the next-generation Z concept, a preview of the production car said to offer several potent powertrains.

As this artist’s impression from Japan’s Best Car magazine shows, it is expected that the new Z concept and production car will have similar proportions to the outgoing coupe. The Z will also adopt an edgier styling language, including a gaping front end that takes cues from the latest GT-R facelift, and will ride on a shorter wheelbase courtesy of the Infiniti Q60’s FR-L platform.

Of the three powertrains on offer, the flagship twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6, borrowed from the Infiniti Q60 Red Sport, is said to punch out a healthy 400 horsepower at 6400 rpm and 350 lb-ft of torque at 1600 rpm; it will be mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. If this version lives up to those expectations, it could put the Nissan toe to toe with rivals such as Porsche’s 718 Boxster S and BMW’s M2.

In addition to the entry-level 3.0-liter V-6, generating 300 horsepower and 295 lb-ft, we also hear that Nissan is working on a hybridized model to be introduced later that could make the Z the most powerful in its class. It is expected to employ the same 3.0-liter V-6, teamed with a dual-clutch gearbox and an electric motor producing as much as 160 horses. One source told us that this model’s total output could reach an eye-popping 500 horsepower. The new Z is expected to land in showrooms by 2019, with the base model priced in the low-$30,000 range and the twin-turbo nearing $50K.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nissan-z-concept-coming-production-car-could-reach-500-horsepower/

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
2009 370Z S/T/N 7AT - 2015 GT-R BE
Dammit beat me to posting about this lol

Very excited. Hopefully it doesn't end up looking like the one in the article. Excuse that's awful. Also hopefully it's like the Q60 show it then quick release after. If they wait until 2019/2020 like I've been hearing from people it'll be too late.

MRichter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw 325i
Wow i damn near forgot about this car (and this site) :).. So glad Nissan didn't axe the Z, now let's see what they turn it into. If these rumors are true it could be a monster!

Ultima

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
Hallelujah it's finally happening. I thought the Z34 would live on forever lol. Hoping for a 2018 release. And yea that rendering is awful.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
2018 release feels like a pipe dream yet I keep my hopes up. The problem is that if the concept is being shown end of this year then a production model is gonna be almost 2 years off. That is unless they pull a fast one and already are further along than they have shown/said thus far.

On another downside to another 2 years before a full release is that they tech they have now that they will be using will most likely feel dated just like everything else Nissan typically does.

Upside I can see is that it should be interesting on how the pricing falls on this. 400hp dct 7speed and some toys should come in decked out around 50k (I hope). That would be an interesting bit of competition for the German boys and one I'm actually interested in being the TT RS. Never been a fan of it since it's always been ugly but the new body is appealing to me. Then throw in 400hp/370tq inline 5, awd, dct, and a 3.5 0-60 it's a nice little machine. Also I just saw clips of them being delivered 2 weeks ago and they make an insane amount of noise. Also they start at 60k but we all know Audi and any toys and you'll be at 80k instantly.

Regardless Nissan has an amazing oppourtuniy to put together a great new Z with the new engine and platform. The groundwork is there and solid. Hopefully they don't ruin it and make a good Z.

J_Watts

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
Great news! but woa pump the brakes, 50k^^? Even a fully decked out muscle car doesn't get you that high. Now a 500+HP hybrid I can see reaching that price but if they are utilizing existing tech and 3.0L TTV6 I would hope it's no more than low 40's max.

I agree with you it seems like 2018 is way too close if they are only showing a concept at the end of the year. 2019-2020 seems more likely. It's already been so long since a redesign what's a few more years to get feedback and nail it down (is probably what they are thinking). Hopefully they show an awesome concept and give us some clues to keep the next 2 years interesting...

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
50k is relaistic and most likely where it will be.

My 2009 370 sport touring with nav with every option aside from light up sills the sticker was 44k

A 2016 nismo tech auto is 48k with the pear paint 47k without.

New more powerful engine and a dct you're easily gonna see a loaded Z being close if not at and over 50k.

You gotta think at the end of this year Audi is releasing the TT RS which is supposedly starting at 55/60k with 400hp/370tq awd 0-60 in 3.6 sec and a good bit of tech. That being said it would make for a smart move for Nissan to price it lower and make a gap between the Z and ze Germans. However I could see it being high 40s-50k based on being new then 3-4 years later they will drop the base price by 3-4K and make your resale value drop.....again lol

That being said I've been desperately awaiting news that a new Z was going to happen. It's been so long I actually gave up on that even being a reality and decided the next move is a slightly used newer GTR. Then Nissan decided oh he gave up let's mess with him and announced a new Z.

It will need to be a good looking impressive machine to sway me back towards a Z and waiting 3 more years.....which is the hard part lol I love my Z and the Z in general let's just hope they do right by it.

UnknownZ35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z34 sport/altima S
Dammit beat me to posting about this lol

Very excited. Hopefully it doesn't end up looking like the one in the article. Excuse that's awful. Also hopefully it's like the Q60 show it then quick release after. If they wait until 2019/2020 like I've been hearing from people it'll be too late.
Agreed.... what up Eff!!

ThreeSeven

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 WRX Wagon
Good to see that it finally appears Nissan is ready to move forward with the next Z. I agree 50k seems likely. There's been talk about it moving up market so that would not surprise me.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
I agree. It's been a long lonely road of very few rumors and hope of a new model. Seems like it's heading in the right direction based on the platform, engine choices, materials, and tech available.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a sexy body and at least 400 boosted ponies.

Ultima

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
I think they need to be cautious not to overstretch in just how 'upmarket' they can go. Chevy did this recently with the Camaro and their pricing has destroyed sales.. to the point now if they don't refresh it quickly or offer heavy discounts I could see it going out of production again. The Z is after all still a Nissan and it needs to be affordable to the masses as it has always been.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
I think they need to be cautious not to overstretch in just how 'upmarket' they can go. Chevy did this recently with the Camaro and their pricing has destroyed sales.. to the point now if they don't refresh it quickly or offer heavy discounts I could see it going out of production again. The Z is after all still a Nissan and it needs to be affordable to the masses as it has always been.
I may have to disagree on that slightly.

The newest camaro didn't really get any bump in pricing. All the models are almost the same as the previous body style. If anything they hurt the dealerships trying to offload the last of the boats that were the previous gen camaro. Same with the vette which I believe actually had a lower base price than the previous years coming in at like 52k I think.

The next Z I would assume would be on par maybe a bit more than the previous years and rightfully so. Bigger engine, new platform, more tech, etc... plus with the ever evolving safety requirements that always factors in with more weight that in a sports car needs to somewhat countered with lighter weight (aka more expensive) materials.

My 2009 sport/touring sticker was 44k and that's not bad for what you get.

I do sincerely hope Nissan gets it right with the option packages like the 2009-2015 Z before they split up and completely ruined the option pairing.

Personally I love all the sport goodies plus my heated leather seats and nav.

UnknownZ35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z34 sport/altima S
I may have to disagree on that slightly.

The newest camaro didn't really get any bump in pricing. All the models are almost the same as the previous body style. If anything they hurt the dealerships trying to offload the last of the boats that were the previous gen camaro. Same with the vette which I believe actually had a lower base price than the previous years coming in at like 52k I think.

The next Z I would assume would be on par maybe a bit more than the previous years and rightfully so. Bigger engine, new platform, more tech, etc... plus with the ever evolving safety requirements that always factors in with more weight that in a sports car needs to somewhat countered with lighter weight (aka more expensive) materials.

My 2009 sport/touring sticker was 44k and that's not bad for what you get.

I do sincerely hope Nissan gets it right with the option packages like the 2009-2015 Z before they split up and completely ruined the option pairing.

Personally I love all the sport goodies plus my heated leather seats and nav.
Agreed.... the corvette C7 launched with a $52,000 base as you stated. I just wanna say something about price.

I think the Z is pricey now due to lack of updates. But in the first 4 years of the Z. People felt it wasn't worth $40,000 based on it not having 400HP like the competition. But I feel for the price range. It was still a great deal. The competition didn't offer the agility, directness, handling, dynamics or visceral feedback of the Z.

For $80,000 you can get a Porsche Cayman S or a loaded Corvette Grand sport or a base Z06 I don't see people saying the Cayman has 350HP vs the GS 460HP or 650HP Z06. So now the Cayman sucks... lol. That's absurd IMHO in their bracket. Why isn't it absurd in our bracket?

For some reason the Nissan Z is the only brand where this logic seems to apply. I'm not sure how this happened? But it really doesn't make much sense.

In 2011, my Z base sport with all options MSRP'd at $37,100 before before taxes getting you pretty close to $39,000. I bought my Z for $34,700 out the door. It's not impossible to save $3,000+ on a new Z. In my case I came out winning $4,300 total.

At 34,700 you were able to buy a camaro1SS, a mustang base with performance pack or a bottom of the barrel Evo GSR. Quality handling looks, all that. Leaned toward the Z. Now that media influence is non existent. You see more than ever people going crazy for Z's. It's amazing how the media can shift opinions and people don't even realize it. People drive Z's now and realize how amazing they are and are dying to see a new generation.

Sucks the Z may go completely digital killing what makes the Z so special. The Z34 is the last analog car standing. Amazing car.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
Yea I agree and trust me when I bought mine in 2011 it was right after the whole earthquake/tsunami situation in Japan so dealers here were. It even considering a deal based on no new ones being shipped over for awhile. I ended up going private party and got mine with 1200 miles on it so technically brand new still lol

The pricing thing is always the big topic with any car in every segment. Like you said 80k for a cayman yet I would never ever do that. so stupid. I can go get a 2016 gtr with 3k miles today for 74k (just looked at it this morning lol) I hate overpriced cars just for the name like the porche and the new nsx. 225k for that?.....nah I'm good lol