Nissan Exec Spilled the Beans Earlier this Year - Anticipated Lineup = Z, GTR, IDX and Bladeglider

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
For all the uncertainty over Nissan's future sports car plans, a lot of people forgot Nissan's very clear statements from early this year.

To remind you guys, Andy Palmer stated:

“What I really expect is that when I was a lad I aspired to a sports car as a bit of a bad boy, and what I’m really looking for is to inspire that same positioning for kids who are coming through today who apparently aren’t that interested in cars. We have to re-engender that excitement for motor cars.

“I anticipate the ‘Z’ will always be there as will be the GT-R, and I anticipate there will be two book-ends, the IDx on one side and the Bladeglider [electric vehicle concept] on the other.”

http://www.caradvice.com.au/266652/...onfirmed-2016-production/#JHm8OyddrFiPmItx.99

MeisterZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Burnt Orange 350Z 6spd
Beautiful words :) Palmer left the company thought right? Hope these product plans didn't go out the door with him.

BluntForce

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
Yeap Palmer left and there is no saying this will be the rumored Z35. But it is good to hear that Nissan is considering multiple RWD sports coupes.

I think they can make a real splash with that lineup. Imagine a GT-R halo at +100K, Z35 at around 50K, and a budget Datsun 510 remake at 20-30K.

ToTheMax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 350Z
Yeap Palmer left and there is no saying this will be the rumored Z35. But it is good to hear that Nissan is considering multiple RWD sports coupes.

I think they can make a real splash with that lineup. Imagine a GT-R halo at +100K, Z35 at around 50K, and a budget Datsun 510 remake at 20-30K.
Dude if they price the Z35 at $50k it will flop even worse than the 370Z unless it has some kind of crazy good performance specs! They have to keep the Z35 low-mid $30k and if they make an entry car like the IDX concept that should be around $20k.

I Love Pho

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 BRZ
Needs to undercut the price leaders (Mustang/Camaro) if it wants to be really competitive IMO. There's little appeal to Nissan right now besides the GT-R so they need to lead on price.

MisterNismo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Totaled 370Z

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
Not a single one of these came true
Needs to undercut the price leaders (Mustang/Camaro) if it wants to be really competitive IMO. There's little appeal to Nissan right now besides the GT-R so they need to lead on price.
That's kinda hard. Those American muscle cars are just about the biggest bang for your buck when it comes to price-to-performance ratio.

sun tzu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I dont see why it has to be a price leader. The Z has never led in that cateogry and it sold just fine. It's for a different buyer than the Mustang and Camaro which really are not pure sports cars and are used as drag racers, grocery getters etc.

nismoZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
I dont see why it has to be a price leader. The Z has never led in that cateogry and it sold just fine. It's for a different buyer than the Mustang and Camaro which really are not pure sports cars and are used as drag racers, grocery getters etc.
Exactly. The Z is an actual sports car and not a pony car like the American muscle cars. Even the current Z is significantly smaller than those cars and feels completely different when driving.

ToTheMax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 350Z
Not a single one of these came true

That's kinda hard. Those American muscle cars are just about the biggest bang for your buck when it comes to price-to-performance ratio.
Yea but you pay for it in terms of quality and reliability....

OP
OP
Dantes

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
Next GT-R isn't due until 2018 at the earliest, so hopefully Nissan has plans to bring out a new Z car before then, or its sports cars offerings will really be stale pretty soon.

Adam

Threads
Reaction score
The Z is already stale. If the GTR wont be until 2018, they have to, HAVE TO bring out the Z before then. U know they wont release it same time so gotta hope they do it before hand.

Z San

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240SX
Hey I still love the Z even if it doesn't sell in the same numbers as it used to. It makes it more rare seeing them on the streets which is fine by me.

Back to the topic, I just read the Bladeglider project has also been shelved. Andy Palmer, we miss you. Nissan definitely decided to go safe (and boring?) over the last few yrs.

Tessitore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pearl White 2014 370Z
Hey I still love the Z even if it doesn't sell in the same numbers as it used to. It makes it more rare seeing them on the streets which is fine by me.

Back to the topic, I just read the Bladeglider project has also been shelved. Andy Palmer, we miss you. Nissan definitely decided to go safe (and boring?) over the last few yrs.
Bladeglider always seemed way too sci-fi to make production anyway. The IDX on the other hand seemed basically production ready. We won't have to worry about Nissan shelving the Z at least. It's too much a core of Nissan's image

MeisterZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Burnt Orange 350Z 6spd
Bladeglider always seemed way too sci-fi to make production anyway. The IDX on the other hand seemed basically production ready. We won't have to worry about Nissan shelving the Z at least. It's too much a core of Nissan's image
Agreed and Nissan needs to start showing it some TLC. It seems all they do these days is continue to pump into the GT-R. I mean I don't blame them, it's the only truly exciting car they have and it makes headlines, but can't forget about the bread and butter!