Nismo Flywheel weight?

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'05 G35, '92 G20, '23 Nissan Z
Anyone know what the stock flywheel weight is? Also any idea what the nismo one might be?

The old stock flywheel on the 370z was about 34 pounds: https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-flywheel-assy~12310-ey00a.html

The nismo flywheel for the new Z used to be up but now just shows an image on the nissan parts site: https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissa...lutch-and-Flywheel/120978699/3002A-STZ34.html

From what I understand, any of the nismo parts installed through the dealer are still covered under warranty. Probably the best change I made on my G35 was to swap out the stock 30lb flywheel for a lightweight one when I initially replaced the clutch. It would be incredibly sick to get a new Z under warranty but some solid parts installed.

With that said, hopefully it isn't too light either. The Z already has a carbon fiber driveshaft so it could be overkill go as low as 15 pounds. 20-22lbs will probably be the sweet spot.

OP
OP
PriZ

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Finally found it! Z1 Motorsports measures the stock flywheel weight in this video here:

Stock flywheel weight? A whopping 34.5 lbs!

Since I posted the above I've seen a number of reviewers mention rev hang. Most just shrugged it off, and I think only one or two mentioned a flywheel change. And I haven't seen anyone write about actually doing it if they weren't already voiding the warranty and modding away.

Pretty sure this is a massive improvement that is being slept on for the manual Z's. Definitely something I'll try doing once I get my hands on a Z.

(Spoiler: I may have one coming at the start of next month, but never know if something will happen before it arrives at the dealer, so fingers-crossed).

Honwong

First Name
Hon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
Finally found it! Z1 Motorsports measures the stock flywheel weight in this video here:

Stock flywheel weight? A whopping 34.5 lbs!

Since I posted the above I've seen a number of reviewers mention rev hang. Most just shrugged it off, and I think only one or two mentioned a flywheel change. And I haven't seen anyone write about actually doing it if they weren't already voiding the warranty and modding away.

Pretty sure this is a massive improvement that is being slept on for the manual Z's. Definitely something I'll try doing once I get my hands on a Z.

(Spoiler: I may have one coming at the start of next month, but never know if something will happen before it arrives at the dealer, so fingers-crossed).
Hi PriZ,
Any update to this thread? Keen to know how the lightened Nismo Flywheel has affected the drive?

OP
OP
PriZ

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hi PriZ,
Any update to this thread? Keen to know how the lightened Nismo Flywheel has affected the drive?
Hi, yeah. I do have some updates just needed to finish installing it and driving it a fair bit. I'll post a longer update soon, but short answer is I was right. The lighter flywheel/clutch fixed the rev hang issues like I suspected.

OP
OP
PriZ

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok a bit overdue, but here's the long-form update to this thread. I've finished breaking the car in (and the new clutch) and I've gotten some decent seat time with the new clutch installed.

As I mentioned I would, I spoke with the dealer and they were more than happy to order the part from Nismo and install it under warranty. Normally I like doing the work myself, but I can't say no to keeping my warranty intact.

So, onto the results. As I said above, it turned out pretty much exactly as I hoped. The rev hang is gone and shifts are smoother. There is some flywheel chatter now, but I expected it and don't mind it. I'll talk more about that in a bit. First, the positives.

I have some videos showing before and after. Keep in mind, I had to film these with one hand, so I did the best I could while staying safe.

First video - stock clutch/flywheel. Still breaking in car so 4k rpm limit. Main issues I noticed were:
- Rev hang
- Jerking when attempting to shift too quickly
- Slower throttle response than I'd expect

Second video - Nismo performance clutch/flywheel - still breaking in car and clutch
Pros
- Issues in first video resolved
- Smooth shifts
- Rev hang gone (though it doesn't look a lot faster in the video, it definitely is)
- Car revs up faster
Cons
- Some flywheel chatter when idling - though a lot less than on my G35 - honestly it's quiet
- Decent flywheel chatter introduced at around 2k-2.2k rpm. The old double-plate design hid the chatter. Now you can tell acutely that the engine lugs when you step on it down that low. In my opinion a good thing, but may be off-putting for some people.

And a 3rd video, showing things out of break in. Two different shifts shown here. One letting the revs drop a bit to show how much faster they go down than stock, and a second showing an immediate shift. The key thing to note on that second shift. It's smooth! No bucking or jerking as the clutch tries to mate under high torque! I couldn't shift like that even at 4k rpm on the stock clutch...

So, in summary - I highly recommend! If you're looking for a more connected feel to the engine, this is definitely the way to go. There are some "downsides" that make it clear why Nissan wouldn't release the car this way though. If you don't recognize some of these noises you may think there's something wrong with your brand new car - which is a huge no-no for Nissan. But I think the car is WAY better now personally. And that's before I started on other mods, including tires, exhaust, and suspension work (which is the step I'm currently on) and more that I have planned. This car is definitely meant to be modded... But I'll post about that stuff another time in my other main thread.

Honwong

First Name
Hon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
Hi Priz,

Thanks for the detailed update! I really appreciate it. No one else has addressed and documented the rev-hang like your have in this thread (at least to what I've found). I didn't really hear any idle chatter, maybe I my volume is too low (at work...).

When clutched in, and revving do you notice that revs drop faster?

Also, when shifting, after initial clutch in, do you notice that revs still hang for a fraction of a sec before it starts dropping?

I suspect that rev-hang is also caused by ECU delaying the throttle close to burn unused fuel for emission control, I've been reading this is the case for many modern cars. Apparently this behaviour can be "tuned out" if the car has direct injection (includes Z??).

Keen to know what you think about above? I'm about to pickup my manual 6spd Z in about 10 days, and getting excited. :)

Last edited:

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
thanks for doing the videos, some great info there for other members here.

maybe i missed it, but what was the weight of the nismo flywheel?

OP
OP
PriZ

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hi Priz,

Thanks for the detailed update! I really appreciate it. No one else has addressed and documented the rev-hang like your have in this thread (at least to what I've found). I didn't really hear any idle chatter, maybe I my volume is too low (at work...).

When clutched in, and revving do you notice that revs drop faster?

Also, when shifting, after initial clutch in, do you notice that revs still hang for a fraction of a sec before it starts dropping?

I suspect that rev-hang is also caused by ECU delaying the throttle close to burn unused fuel for emission control, I've been reading this is the case for many modern cars. Apparently this behaviour can be "tuned out" if the car has direct injection (includes Z??).

Keen to know what you think about above? I'm about to pickup my manual 6spd Z in about 10 days, and getting excited. :)
Glad I could help.

The revs do start dropping faster after clutching with the Nismo version, yes. I have heard about the ECU hang like you mentioned, but I don't think you can change that without flashing a tune, and I'm keeping my warranty intact. I'll do a tune and more aggressive parts post warranty.

As for the chatter, I don't have it documented in the videos. I was just focused on recording the rev hang changes. Honestly, the chatter really isn't bad. Compared to my G35 this chatter is super minimal.

And congrats on the new Z, it's a fantastic car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PriZ

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
thanks for doing the videos, some great info there for other members here.

maybe i missed it, but what was the weight of the nismo flywheel?
For the Nismo flywheel, I don't have the weight of the individual flywheel, but the full assembly is 40 pounds (they discuss it in this video). The full stock assembly is 55 pounds, so the Nismo clutch drops 15 pounds, or just about 30% of the rotational weight. It's pretty significant.

I would assume almost all of that is off the flywheel itself.

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
As for the chatter, I don't have it documented in the videos. I was just focused on recording the rev hang changes. Honestly, the chatter really isn't bad. Compared to my G35 this chatter is super minimal.
Hi mate, just wondering how you are going with this a few months on?
I am really torn between the Z1 performance clutch and the Nismo street clutch. I know the Nismo handles a little more power, but I'm worried the chatter is gonna make me hate driving the car...

FWIW, I have a full exhaust and downpipe - it's louder than stock, which might cover some of the noise at low RPM, but did spend a lot of time with the fabricators trying to get the sound at a reasonable level...

OP
OP
PriZ

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hi mate, just wondering how you are going with this a few months on?
I am really torn between the Z1 performance clutch and the Nismo street clutch. I know the Nismo handles a little more power, but I'm worried the chatter is gonna make me hate driving the car...

FWIW, I have a full exhaust and downpipe - it's louder than stock, which might cover some of the noise at low RPM, but did spend a lot of time with the fabricators trying to get the sound at a reasonable level...
If you already have exhaust and downpipes you don't have to worry about chatter. It's minor compared to the NVH you're already getting. Chatter concerns are only for when you're running an ultra lightweight flywheel or if you're all stock and sensitive to noise (even if you say you aren't). Also, the Z1 clutch should have about the same amount of chatter anyway, so I wouldn't make decisions based on that concern.

And for reference, still loving the clutch. I've done a ton of work on the car since this post including downpipes, exhaust, intake, and a TON of suspension work and bracing, so the clutch chatter is minor compared to all of that.

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
If you already have exhaust and downpipes you don't have to worry about chatter. It's minor compared to the NVH you're already getting. Chatter concerns are only for when you're running an ultra lightweight flywheel or if you're all stock and sensitive to noise (even if you say you aren't). Also, the Z1 clutch should have about the same amount of chatter anyway, so I wouldn't make decisions based on that concern.

And for reference, still loving the clutch. I've done a ton of work on the car since this post including downpipes, exhaust, intake, and a TON of suspension work and bracing, so the clutch chatter is minor compared to all of that.
Thanks very much mate. The Z1 option i was looking at was the sprung plate, so it should be quieter - but as you say, exhaust/suspension etc all adds to the in-cabin noise anyway, so a little chatter is tolerable.

Appreciate the insights... i think I'm going to go with this option.

2017370ZBlack

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
I have the ZSpeed Performance EZ-Street Quiet Stage 2 clutch w/ billet steel flywheel on my 370. The flywheel weight is 19.8 lb. The 370's stock flywheel was supposedly 31 lbs. No chatter at all. I've been happy with the ZSpeed setup and would imagine they have a similar kit for the Z.