Matt Maran: 2023 Nissan Z (Manual) - 40K Bargain? Yes and No...

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Fairly well summed up here. The supra is a better car, but it all depends on what you are buying it for, the Z should be a great tourer
Exactly…I’m not racing it, it will be my daily, and used for driving the winding roads for some fun….for me it’s great.
most of the reviews I’ve watched so far have been positive and most (not all) think it’s worth the money. Note ally the fun factor is there, and that’s what I was looking for.

People can wait for the new Supra manual, but if you think it will cost the same as last years model, your probably going to be disappointed.
Im guessing much of what has pushed Nissan above the 45k US is not in their control
Chips, worker shortages…and particularly shipping will all negatively affect the new Supras just as it has the Z, unfortunately we are living in a new post pandemic world, and it’s expensive
After pandemics, comes famine…this is the normal pattern in history, what I mean by that is after pandemics and wars, prices for everything (inflation) goes up substantially, and that is outside of Nissans control

Not trying to defend them as such, just something to think about

Eatonian49

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 R/T Challenger, Focus SE
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Unless people have actually experienced what all of the shortages are doing first hand it can be a hard pill to swallow. I didn't expect mid 2021 pricing to flow into 2022 with zero changes. Nissan probably didn't announce Performance pricing at that time for that exact reason.

Still, though, I to will use this as a weekend car/sometimes daily so looks matter more to me! Good change of pace from an auto RT too.

MattMaran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Occupation
Car reviews on YouTube
Thanks @MattMaran for answering our questions in your review!

Versus the twins, it seems the trade-off is insane acceleration versus that light agile tossability of the twins.
My pleasure! Yeah it's definitely fun, but to me it's not 20k more fun than the twins. They're such a great value now with that new engine.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
My pleasure! Yeah it's definitely fun, but to me it's not 20k more fun than the twins. They're such a great value now with that new engine.
I dont know how popular the twins are in the US, but here it’s what all the kids buy coz they can’t afford a mustang or 370Z…they are everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE!

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Looking forward to your week with the GR86, it will likely be between the twins for me. Hopefully it has less snap oversteer than you and another reviewer noticed in the BRZ, although Autoblog is saying the GR86 is less compliant on-road, so let us know your experience there.

MattMaran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Occupation
Car reviews on YouTube
Looking forward to your week with the GR86, it will likely be between the twins for me. Hopefully it has less snap oversteer than you and another reviewer noticed in the BRZ, although Autoblog is saying the GR86 is less compliant, let us know your experience there.
Will do! I have it in the driveway right now and it's a little hard to judge them back to back in the oversteer department because it's about 20 degrees warmer now and the PS4s are a lot stickier now, but the little oversteer I was able to provoke so far was definitely more progressive than the BRZ. I still think if I were buying one I'd go for the base car for less grip, or swap the PS4s for the all-season Pilots instead for a happy medium maybe.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
. I still think if I were buying one I'd go for the base car for less grip, or swap the PS4s for the all-season Pilots instead for a happy medium maybe.
Yeah I'd been thinking of just that, swapping in Pilot A/S 4s, it would also do away with the need for winter tires as I won't drive it in any significant snow.

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
Will do! I have it in the driveway right now and it's a little hard to judge them back to back in the oversteer department because it's about 20 degrees warmer now and the PS4s are a lot stickier now, but the little oversteer I was able to provoke so far was definitely more progressive than the BRZ. I still think if I were buying one I'd go for the base car for less grip, or swap the PS4s for the all-season Pilots instead for a happy medium maybe.
Definitely looking forward to it as well.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Thanks for that assessment. The Z Performance by the time it leaves a dealership even at MSRP will be in the $50-$55K range. So, what's your take in comparison to others at that price range, talking about overall value, driveability, interior quality, etc?

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
@18:40 Matt mentioned that the car is about 200lbs heavier than the Supra and the center gravity (CG) is higher? is the CG higher than 370Z?

MattMaran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Occupation
Car reviews on YouTube
Thanks for that assessment. The Z Performance by the time it leaves a dealership even at MSRP will be in the $50-$55K range. So, what's your take in comparison to others at that price range, talking about overall value, driveability, interior quality, etc?
I compare it to Supra and touch on all those points towards the end of my video so I'd rather not retype them all here. There isn't much else that's this powerful in this price range other than the American muscle stuff, which I think also have the Z beat in most ways, at least Camaro and Mustang.