71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
71 240z, 90 300zx, 23 ZProtoMT, 24 Z Nismo
The Valkyrie Engineering lightweight battery and billet style bracket engineered and manufactured by them with an Antigravity Lithium battery installation and preorder official video is released on YouTube. Check out the link. This battery package has been installed on my Z for the last month and is 29.1 lbs of weight shedding as documented in the video.

https://valkyrieengineering.com/col...issan-z-billet-mount-kit-w-ag-lithium-battery

Last edited:

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Yeah thanks for making me look stupid🤣🤣. Fixed that statement!

Sorry, not my intent at all!! I could retire if i got paid by stupid mistake.... I am shopping anti gravity for my race car too... fwiw

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
Great product, the fob jump start feature is a nice touch.

-RJM

0DF8B11D-67AE-413A-ABEB-EF6300E8DBD5.jpeg

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
Glad that lithium batteries are becoming a thing in cars. I've been doing Lithium battery replacements in my motorcycles for many years now. Best thing is, the lithium moto batteries aren't that much more expensive than an OEM lead acid one...

But holy crap are these automotive ones expensive!!! I mean, granted, the nearly 30 lbs of weight savings is multitudes greater than the several pound savings with a moto battery, but sheeesh!

I would say that in time, the costs will come down as they become more and more prevalent... but probably not, as EVs will be the heir-apparent in the not-too-distant future.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Glad that lithium batteries are becoming a thing in cars. I've been doing Lithium battery replacements in my motorcycles for many years now. Best thing is, the lithium moto batteries aren't that much more expensive than an OEM lead acid one...

But holy crap are these automotive ones expensive!!! I mean, granted, the nearly 30 lbs of weight savings is multitudes greater than the several pound savings with a moto battery, but sheeesh!

I would say that in time, the costs will come down as they become more and more prevalent... but probably not, as EVs will be the heir-apparent in the not-too-distant future.
I can’t see lithium batteries ending well
Australia is one of the leading producers of lithium, and the mines have very limited life spans compared to oil and gas.
Worse still the other biggest miner of lithium are children in Africa…forced to mine in unsafe and unsupported mining sights for next to nothing

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Just a couple comments from the automotive motorsport side of these lithium batteries. I don't know how Nissan's charging system handles them but something to watch out for:

"I was using an Antigravity YTX12-24 in a Morris Engineering amount. The whole set up weighs about 5 lbs but I went back to the factory tray and a Napa battery. The Antigravity batteries are pretty expensive and I was replacing them every 12-18 months. The lithium cells would start swelling. I believe the charging system in the Mustang is not friendly to the lithium batteries. I believe it charges too fast or too much."

"I had the same experience with a Braille battery, it didn't swell or anything like that but it was completely unreliable, never knew if it would crank the motor or not. Saving a few pounds is just not worth the hassle if you're not racing."

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I can’t see lithium batteries ending well
Australia is one of the leading producers of lithium, and the mines have very limited life spans compared to oil and gas.
To be specific, I was referring to lithium starter batteries in ICE cars. The amount of lithium available in this world for the use of powering all EVs is a different story.

Worse still the other biggest miner of lithium are children in Africa…forced to mine in unsafe and unsupported mining sights for next to nothing
I don't see this as a moral argument against using lithium batteries. If anything, it's just an argument against using improper practices of attaining the materials for them. Same goes for any other resource in the world, be it diamonds, oil, or water.

Last edited:

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just a couple comments from the automotive motorsport side of these lithium batteries. I don't know how Nissan's charging system handles them but something to watch out for:

"I was using an Antigravity YTX12-24 in a Morris Engineering amount. The whole set up weighs about 5 lbs but I went back to the factory tray and a Napa battery. The Antigravity batteries are pretty expensive and I was replacing them every 12-18 months. The lithium cells would start swelling. I believe the charging system in the Mustang is not friendly to the lithium batteries. I believe it charges too fast or too much."

"I had the same experience with a Braille battery, it didn't swell or anything like that but it was completely unreliable, never knew if it would crank the motor or not. Saving a few pounds is just not worth the hassle if you're not racing."
That's unfortunate. For motorcycles, the switch to lithium is a no-brainer. I've basically had nothing but a good experience with the 3 or 4 different brands of lithium batteries I've used in different bikes over the years. But I can see how they may not be optimal for use in an automobile, where there's a helluva lot more going on than with a two-wheeler.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Eh, out of sight, out of mind.

I want my battery powered toys as cheap as I can more than I care about the poors.

OP
OP
71zman

71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
71 240z, 90 300zx, 23 ZProtoMT, 24 Z Nismo

@trackratZ The ytx12-24 is not a "restart" battery and doesn't have the under volt and over volt protections like the one installed in my Z Proto and offered by Valkyrie Engineering featured. The YTX12-24 you are referencing is not recommended for any street cars.