Its just a parts car…huh?

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Yes it is a "parts bin car". However, it is essentially all the best parts they could possibly put into this car and still offer it at an attainable price. Would I like to see carbon fiber on the exterior and interior? Yeah. Would I like to see more aluminum and leather on the interior? Yeah. But at the end of the day I'm sure I'll be more than happy with the car if I definitely decide to get it.

I've had my 370Z for just over 2 years now, I daily drive it all 4 seasons, and I don't have anything negative to really say about the car. I hardly care that the interior is dated. I care most about the way a car drives, sounds, and looks on the exterior. The way I feel when I drive the car. The excitement it brings when putting it through its paces.

The new Z appears to be everything I could want. I look forward to seeing it in person and probably owning it in the future.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
I dont understand these negative comments saying the Z is just a new look with recycled parts…so those guys are upset Nissan didnt make every single part brand new? Of course it has some recycled parts every manufacturer does this to various levels. If they did, the Z could not be offered at the attractive price it will be offered at…
Agreed, but people draw conclusions first and develop the narrative after. We wrap the story around our position. It’s happening with the Z and I will deal with it like I did the Supra.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
now all I need is a 30% raise to break even....
Nah, go find someone else that will pay you what you're worth. Don't count on loyalty and effort - it'll screw you in the end.

If an employer doesn't recognize the value you bring within 2 years, it's time to go.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
No it's not. It's 370 Nismo without the chassis dampers.
So the Nismo 370Z had different caster angles/geometry vs the 370Z?

Even IF the shocks and springs are the same as the Nismo 370, the new Z STILL has a completely different suspension than the 370Z.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Whether certain suspension or chassis components are the same or not is not really the point - it's the end result that needs to be focused on. The 370 has a few solid basics, specifically the heavy use of aluminum components, and certainly its front double wishbones, which are a feature even Porsche only makes available on its new GT3. So carrying those over doesn't seem a bad idea at all, but it comes down to the total setup.

The 370 has a well-known reputation as an 8/10ths car that falls apart a bit when really pushed (see for example Chris Harris' takedown in his comparison review with a GT 86 and an older Cayman). If Nissan has fixed that weakness in the new iteration it will have a winner on its hands.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
So the Nismo 370Z had different caster angles/geometry vs the 370Z?

Even IF the shocks and springs are the same as the Nismo 370, the new Z STILL has a completely different suspension than the 370Z.
Fair enough, we have different definitions

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
I just love how everyone disses on this car for having the same chassis as the 370, while nobody acknowledges that it shares same chassis as the GT-R, which is awesome.

Z_Coastal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Audi TT S Line Coupe
From my reading, (and watching videos), it would seem Nissan have been very smart about where they invested in updates. Sure there are areas I would have liked better, but pretty smart I think.

Last edited:

tractng

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 RDX, 2016 Miata
Occupation
Systems Admin
People want completely new everything these day. Is that mindset. Trying building something like a table or a chair and see how far you get LOL!

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
People want completely new everything these day. Is that mindset. Trying building something like a table or a chair and see how far you get LOL!
People will complain but if you give them a completely new chassis, most wouldn't even know.
What are they even comparing it to? The family car? Let's be realistic.
If it's everyday driving, an Altima may already be plenty for their skillset. That includes speeding on the highway with the unnecessary paddle shifting.
Even if they are coming from prior Z's, the power difference alone will make it feel like a different vehicle.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
At the end of the day, you won't make everyone happy. Half the people griping about what Nissan did will turn around a buy a used car anyway - they just want their hill to die on.

I'll listen to gripes from people that have owned one or several of these cars. If you drive a 370Z on a track, it's extremely competent, and the refinements they're doing to the platform will absolutely be an improvement just like going to the 370Z was from the 350Z (and it was a... heavily revised version of the 350Z chassis ... for those that remember). For some that have a 370Z, the power difference isn't enough to get them into a new Z and that's ok. I never felt power was a shortcoming in the 370Z to have fun on the track. More power is always fun, but it had enough to get the point across. Also in 2009, 350hp in a Nismo Z was plenty when you looked at what you could get for that money. That, as we know, changed rather quickly.

For me, having plenty of experience with the 370Z and enough experience with the G37 and Q cars (among other Infinitis), the ONLY concern I have about this car is the EPS setup. I owned a 2015 Q50S (because baby RicerX didn't fit into a 370Z) and I enjoyed the QX70S's steering much more than my Q50's EPS (and my Q50 was NOT equipped with Direct Adaptive Steering, and purposefully so). The QX70 was basically the G37's steering rack, which was the 370Z's hydraulic steering setup. The right weight, great feel, and just an overall good connection to help the driver know what's going on with the front wheels. Crank the wheel in a corner with the Q50 and just assume it's going where you're trying to point it, because based on steering feel, you really have little idea.

There are automakers out there that make solid EPS setups for their steering systems (Audi comes to mind from experience - reading things on the web I know there are others). Nissan has not yet been one of them. I'm hoping the 23 Z changes that.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2003 350Z (sold after 200,000 miles)
I think the biggest concern is that at the end of its run the 370Z was no longer very competitive from a performance or even a fun standpoint. It seemed to feel a bit sluggish and outdated from what I have heard.

If Nissan is able to make the car feel lighter, better balanced, and more lively, I think they’ll have a winner no matter the chassis is a carryover.

I loved my 350Z even after ~15 years ~200,000 miles, and if this Z gives me a similar feeling with updated styling and better performance, I’ll be very happy.

-T

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
The 370 has a well-known reputation as an 8/10ths car that falls apart a bit when really pushed (see for example Chris Harris' takedown in his comparison review with a GT 86 and an older Cayman). If Nissan has fixed that weakness in the new iteration it will have a winner on its hands.
This has to be fixed. All the alum susp components are good carryovers, just tune that darn suspension correctly this time. Balanced with just a hint of oversteer would be great!