Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Occupation
Pastry Chef
Map_of_Europe_with_flags.svg.png

Nissan has officially confirmed that the new Z sports car won’t come to Europe, putting a premature end to the hopes of prospective customers in the region.

When asked about whether they will offer the new Z in Europe, Nissan told CarScoops in a statement: “In terms of European sales, a shrinking European sports cars market and specific regulations on emissions mean that Nissan was unable to build a viable business case for the introduction of the production version of the next-generation Z-car in Europe.”

Earlier this year Nissan announced it would focus on U.S., China and Japan while scaling back on Europe and the rest of the world; the decision regarding the next-generation Z sports car comes as a sad reminder of that. “In Europe, Nissan’s priorities remain on its commitment to renew its crossover line-up and accelerate its range electrification strategy,” the carmaker added.

Nissan Europe also said that the U.S. and Japan will be the key markets for the new Z but was unable to confirm in detail which regions or countries are set to receive the upcoming sports car.

This confirms our earlier suspicions, first shared back in May, as Europe’s strict emission regulations basically force every carmaker into electrifying their lineup in order to meet the CO2 fleet average targets and avoid heavy fines.

The Nissan Z Proto looks basically 100 percent production-ready but the carmaker stopped short of discussing the technical details; the company confirmed that a twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 engine sits under the bonnet paired to a standard six-speed manual transmission – with an automatic option currently under development.

Power is expected to be around the 400 HP-mark, which is what the engine currently makes in the Infiniti Red Sport models, while the platform is probably an updated version of the FM architecture that underpins the outgoing 370Z and the Infiniti Q50/Q60 models.

Most outlets believe that Nissan will go with the ‘400Z’ nameplate for the production version of its new sports car but given the displacement-based nomenclature of the Z family we shouldn’t rule out the ‘300Z’ name just yet.

Nissan is expected to launch the new Z sports car in the U.S. market sometime in the next 20 months. While we hope that they won’t wait that long, it certainly looks like the new Z will launch for the 2022 model year.
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/its-official-nissan-wont-bring-the-new-z-sports-car-to-europe/

R_E_L

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 BRZ, '98 328i
Wow. Emissions regulations in Europe are really affecting current and updated platforms going forward. I've been reading about the effects on the motorcycle industry and it's surprising to see this even affecting new cars in the same way.

Eastwest2300

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
370z
Wow. Emissions regulations in Europe are really affecting current and updated platforms going forward. I've been reading about the effects on the motorcycle industry and it's surprising to see this even affecting new cars in the same way.

California isnt too far behind.

triso07

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z, Evo X
Europe is demonetizing sports and in particular ice cars massively. This was inevitable.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Occupation
Freeloader
Sucks for the EU. Slightly off topic, but when the 2nd gen 86 rumored to increase displacement to a 2.4 liter I wonder if that means the EU is gonna miss out on that as well.

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
86 Hakone, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Occupation
Veterinary practice managing partner
Lefties gone wild. CA is not far behind euro regs, and that's not good for the rest of us. Suby can't offer a BRZ version the new GR86, as they don't have enough eco points in their line to satisfy the emissions Nazis....they will kill IC powered cars, if not stopped.

265611731_10158712393733719_3915187699421246254_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
supra93

supra93

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Occupation
Pastry Chef

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
86 Hakone, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Occupation
Veterinary practice managing partner
Don't blame the car makers, blame the power hungry emissions Nazis in Europe and California. We're tired of spending major money de-strangulating machines that are half choked to death by these power mongers who want to kill IC powered machines. I'd like to see the makers stop offering machines where climate change fanatics dictate ridiculous, ever increasing regulations. Maybe then, people would demand some common sense. This is a good 1st step.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Don't blame the car makers, blame the power hungry emissions Nazis in Europe and California. We're tired of spending major money de-strangulating machines that are half choked to death by these power mongers who want to kill IC powered machines. I'd like to see the makers stop offering machines where climate change fanatics dictate ridiculous, ever increasing regulations. Maybe then, people would demand some common sense. This is a good 1st step.
I’m just glad it’s still coming to Australia...we are constantly under pressure to do better with climate change whilst realistically even if we were at 0 emissions because we are such a small country it would make next to no difference in the worlds emissions as a whole

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
sucks for those guys...pretty soon euro cars will be required to be electric or run on fabreeze...

i think with the new look and 35-45k usd price point that the z would have sold well over there.

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
https://drivetribe.com/p/the-eu-has...ampaign=main&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=organic

THE EU HAS KILLED THE NISSAN 400Z

Might as well just rip off the band-aid: the Nissan 400Z won’t be available in Europe because it doesn’t meet the EU’s Draconian emission standards. These rules have been in place for some time now and auto makers regularly fail to meet their targets because they’re objectively unrealistic.

Car makers are investing billions for the transition towards electric mobility but the EU is demanding they do so at a higher speed than the existing technology realistically allows. As a result, they usually simply end up shunning the European market in favour of emerging markets, the Middle East and China, and of course Japan and the US, which is where the 400Z, the first new Z car since 2006 (370Z), will be sold.

The problem (for the EU) is that the 400Z is based on the same [heavily revised] platform that the old Infiniti Q50/Q60 used, and powered by an evolution of Nissan’s ‘VR30DDTT’ 3.0-litre V6, delivering (in the Z) 400 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. The engine, however, isn’t the only reason why it won’t be available in the Old Continent. Europe is becoming an increasingly SUV-centric market, that’s basically the only type of vehicle European buyers (especially within the EU and the UK) seem to be interested in.

Nissan knows this and in fact they said as much in a recent press statement. "In terms of European sales, a shrinking European sports cars market and specific regulations on emissions mean that Nissan was unable to build a viable business case for the introduction of the production version of the next-generation Z-car in Europe," the statement read.

The car market - any market, really - acts like a dog that’s chasing its own tail. European buyers only want SUVs because car makers only sell SUVs because buyers only want SUVs because car makers… etc. It's a well-known fact that SUVs constitute the bulf of sales in Europe - 1 in 2 vehicles sold here are SUVs - and while I don't subscribe to the 'all SUVs are s**t' party (some of them are, some of them aren't), I think it's a shame to see that the car is turning into nothing but a disposable commodity. Pity.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Excellent! More cars for USA!! The EU Parasites are indeed hideous Nazis bent on Marxism. Will enjoy my ICE car until it happens here, too :(
happens here? what do you mean? they are here....in cali and all along the eastern seaboard...
those guys can ride subways, catch buses and pedal their bikes around. me? im gonna row gears brah!

Last edited: