Is "Super Black" a wrap?

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
@Proto Z you need to let us know!
Is the black part of the hatch (and maybe even the roof) a wrap?

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
errrrgh... even after a really close inspection, I honestly don't know that I can tell for sure...
I mean, it just looks painted to me.

The B-pillar piece feels like just black plastic. The roof feels painted gloss black - which kinda matches the inside of the trunk lid and also the internal hinge for the trunk lid.

There is a section though between the rear trunk glass and the yellow above the tail lights that appears to have a very fine seam/lip. This *could* mean it's an overlay/vinyl, but I'm genuinely not sure.

Pics probably won't help... but...

All same gloss - looks painted?
7OuRDWNU3GeTFDcY3D_F76n4=w1798-h1348-no?authuser=0.jpg
underneath it's 'painted' black gloss as well, but there is very visible seam between the yellow and the black.
jKm9L_oMNjlxbUWsqbx9HmZY=w1012-h1348-no?authuser=0.jpg

on the other hand... this is the strip of black between glass and trunk - the black is definitely raised (you can't see this seam with the naked eye - camera is really bringing it out. Can feel it easily though, the black is raised).
FCCpEqPD4G9_WP6YSdfYnE8M=w1012-h1348-no?authuser=0.jpg

If I had a durometer I could probably test the surfaces and see if they are any different.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I'll bet it's paint.
I can’t see them getting away with wrapped.
In Australia Nissans come with a 7year warranty…in our hot weather they would be replacing almost all of them before the warranty had run out which wouldn’t make sense financially…nor in terms of bad press which they have had more than enough of

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
I can’t see them getting away with wrapped.
In Australia Nissans come with a 7year warranty…in our hot weather they would be replacing almost all of them before the warranty had run out which wouldn’t make sense financially…nor in terms of bad press which they have had more than enough of
It would actually be great if it was a vinyl or wrap... piano black is literally the worst thing that has ever happened to cars. It shows scratches and swirls like crazy.

Also, I don't know if it just Nissan, or this car, or what... but the paint job is absolute garbage. The handles are literally a different colour. It's like they forgot to come back with a spray pass from the opposite direction.
There are numerous spots on the car that look like they didn't get enough layers of paint - particularly in the engine bay and boot, but also in many of the external creases.

Having come from European cars that use like 7 clear coat layers and colour matched under coats, I'm really concerned about how long this paint will last.

Oh, and forgot to add... only 5 years warranty in AU.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
It would actually be great if it was a vinyl or wrap... piano black is literally the worst thing that has ever happened to cars. It shows scratches and swirls like crazy.

Also, I don't know if it just Nissan, or this car, or what... but the paint job is absolute garbage. The handles are literally a different colour. It's like they forgot to come back with a spray pass from the opposite direction.
There are numerous spots on the car that look like they didn't get enough layers of paint - particularly in the engine bay and boot, but also in many of the external creases.

Having come from European cars that use like 7 clear coat layers and colour matched under coats, I'm really concerned about how long this paint will last.

Oh, and forgot to add... only 5 years warranty in AU.
Oh that’s right….it’s almost every other brand that has 7.
Although you can pay fr extended warranty to 7

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Oh that’s right….it’s almost every other brand that has 7.
Although you can pay fr extended warranty to 7
Oh cool, didn't know about the warranty extension. Might look into that, although I think I've already voided most of my warranty anyway through mods :(

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Oh cool, didn't know about the warranty extension. Might look into that, although I think I've already voided most of my warranty anyway through mods :(
Like most third party extended warranties it’s probs not worth the paper it’s written on anyway.
Today I was informed …Tinting $595, tinting with ceramic coat exterior and interior protection $1850…protection package plus dash cam $2499.
I’m not sure I want any of it other than the tinting…although I will say I’m disappointed that the Z doesn't come with a dash cam included (although I knew it didn’t)

Last edited:

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Bravo, you're going in the right direction, it's a Z (or Zed) car!! đź‘Ť :p

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
To reiterate, mods don't void a warranty UNLESS the mod was the cause of the defective symptom.

And, if the mod was the cause, it doesn't void the WHOLE warranty but just the responsibility of payment from the manufacturer to the owner for that particular repair.

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
I can only imagine wrapping would be more expensive and time consuming. Not something you could get good reliable results from an automated robotic line.
It certainly wouldn't be good enough where people couldn't tell the difference between the wrap and a paint job.

I'd say the colour paint has been applied first and then masked and black layer down creating the thicker lip for the black.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60

Also, I don't know if it just Nissan, or this car, or what... but the paint job is absolute garbage. The handles are literally a different colour. It's like they forgot to come back with a spray pass from the opposite direction
The fuel door, which is plastic on my Q60 is a slightly different color than the rest of the car.
Which means the base coat of the fuel door must have been a different shade....

It's weird, because I bought OEM wing and mudflaps painted from the factory, and they matched the sheet metal color perfectly.

Nissan QC is sketch

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
I can only imagine wrapping would be more expensive and time consuming. Not something you could get good reliable results from an automated robotic line.
It certainly wouldn't be good enough where people couldn't tell the difference between the wrap and a paint job.

I'd say the colour paint has been applied first and then masked and black layer down creating the thicker lip for the black.
When the demo car was at the dealer last May and a number of us were looking around the car is when we noticed the black on the hatch was actually peeling around the underside of the hatch.I also think the roof is wraped as well which has been confirmed in another post.