West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Apparently 93 isn't available in the area they were testing it in originally.

They should have been transparent about that in the review, as it does undermine the results. Odd that they're still retaining the results from the 91 octane test though.
Agree….the results really don’t mean much if they are not running it as intended

Last edited:

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
In any location that only has 91 available this is the result you're gonna end up with. Octane was even for both cars.

People can speculate all they want. The Supra could've done better with better gas as well. Better tires, even transmission... it's all bench racing at this point. I doubt the journalists had a choice in what car was provided to them. Hopefully we do get a more even comparison (which I'm sure we will in the near future).

Run what you brung.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Man I haven’t heard someone say this shit in a while , lol when we would hang out at night in the races and excuses would start flying out the great Final word was Run what you brought lol
Yes! Back when most shifts were handmade and driver skill actually mattered.

IMV Films, Texas Streets (TX2K), early 2000s.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Holy shit IMV. I still have all my old DVDs from them.

Man I haven’t heard someone say this shit in a while , lol when we would hang out at night in the races and excuses would start flying out the great Final word was Run what you brought lol
Been saying that since my first street race back in 2002. I never made excuses when I got smoked (lost my first three races). Words to live by lol.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
It's not like the transmission choice is a focus of the review. Why choose a different transmission unless you want to sandbag the results?
I believe it is. I saw multiple shots of the shift knob in this review and him changing gears. Looking back so much was said about the manual it's as if the 370Z didn't offer one. I think that selling point backfired a bit being that a manual and the revised parts don't equate to better performance. The 9AT was a half second faster around the track.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
I finally saw the review and really enjoyed it. The opening and ending we're epic. It's probably fair to say my initial comment was full of too much negativity for this community. Maybe some out there may feel this way.

Above all I'm more of a car guy than fanboy. I bought an LT1 C4 for $8k two weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I won't be owning another car for a while as I now have 3 for myself.

Z appears to be the better daily and better looking (subjective) of the two. Supra is superior in stock form and possibly after modification (B58 is special). Lighter, better tire, better results where it counts. GR86 is $10k+ cheaper and enough car for many. Pick your poison. These are great times.

I chose a 10r80 5.0 over the Camaro LT1 because of price and a more sophisticated engine. Camaro with it's alpha platform will always handle better. It's possible that since I'm keeping my 10r80 the Z isn't so appealing anymore. Imo it's quite similar to the mustang from what I hear (body roll, better daily, softer, etc).

Last thing I'll say is after seeing that video the Supra looks like hell compared to the Z. Supra is a mutt and the Z is a throwback and your last chance at it. A manual isn't going to make the Supra a better looking car. I'll just try to sit back and enjoy the show while not trying to offend the enthusiast and fanboys. I won't be owning another car anytime soon.

Tldr; these are good times

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
I think that selling point backfired a bit being that a manual and the revised parts don't equate to better performance. The 9AT was a half second faster around the track.
The Consumer Report video had all three of them saying the automatic Z was horrible and very slow compared to some other automatics.

Another video, I can't remember which one now, basically said the manual Z's rev matching was only good for for lazy asses or learners.

I can't remember which of those two it was, but as with many other videos, they say the manual is the one to buy for car enthusiasts and better driving experience (usually they also say on twisty roads).

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
The Consumer Report video had all three of them saying the automatic Z was horrible and very slow compared to some other automatics.

Another video, I can't remember which one now, basically said the manual Z's rev matching was only good for for lazy asses or learners.

I can't remember which of those two it was, but as with many other videos, they say the manual is the one to buy for car enthusiasts and better driving experience (usually they also say on twisty roads).
Top Gear U.K. reviewed the Z and said the automatic was good.The car was tremendous value for the dollar and gave the performance model 8/10

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ As with almost every other review, it also says ...

As a car to be involved in - though possibly not quite as fast as the automatic - the manual is the one to have.
:)

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
In any location that only has 91 available this is the result you're gonna end up with. Octane was even for both cars.

People can speculate all they want. The Supra could've done better with better gas as well. Better tires, even transmission... it's all bench racing at this point. I doubt the journalists had a choice in what car was provided to them. Hopefully we do get a more even comparison (which I'm sure we will in the near future).

Run what you brung.
I'm all for testing it in the conditions it will be sold, but its a car review, they need to be transparent about the conditions of the test. 0.4s is a substantial difference after all.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
I don't recall any reviews saying it was horrible other tha CR which like Car and Driver are not go to reviewers
I think one or two of those Consumer Report guys were a track racers, so they probably know better than a "lowly" car journalist (Top Gear UK's Chris Harris and The Stig being the rare exceptions with the rest being journalists or even worse just celebrities presenting a show).

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
I think one or two of those Consumer Report guys were a track racers, so they probably know better than a "lowly" car journalist (Top Gear UK's Chris Harris and The Stig being the rare exceptions with the rest being journalists or even worse just celebrities presenting a show).
I agree, top gear said the manual was slighlty more engaging but for 99% of the people buying this car they will never track it. I think most people are buying based on heritage,the look, decent performance and driveability.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
It depends on what you want from the car you buy. As almost every review says, if you just want to be a poser in a flash car (or have some disability), then the automatic is a great buy. If you actually want a great driving experience, you'll want the manual.

It isn't just the new Z either. Reviews of pretty much any car (or at least sporty car) with both options will tell you to get the manual, including the new Supra now that is has a manual option.