How to Stop/Disable Nissan's data reporting how you drive where you are and all other Usery information?

BUMBLZ

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z ProtoSpec, 2013 Fire Orange M3
Occupation
Speed addict ;-)
Any one know how to disable this on screen pop up when starting your vehicle? and the Personal Info data reporting

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Any one know how to disable this on screen pop up when starting your vehicle? and the Personal Info data reporting
Interesting.

I didn't know that there's a pop-up message....

However, my GTI and my wife's new Toyota had the ability to collect data and transmit it over cellular or wifi. I disabled it in both cars by disconnecting the antenna connections at the telematics module, it leaves the car unable to communicate, as if it's out in the middle of nowhere.

On my GTI the antenna connections were behind the instrument cluster, on my wife's Toyota they're behind the infotainment. On both vehicles they went to the sharkfin antenna.

OP
OP
BUMBLZ

BUMBLZ

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z ProtoSpec, 2013 Fire Orange M3
Occupation
Speed addict ;-)
Thanks for the info, i just want to disable Nissans ability to , bssically spy on owners. I
don' t want to disable all functionality.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Thanks for the info, i just want to disable Nissans ability to , bssically spy on owners. I
don' t want to disable all functionality.
I only used the connected services during the free trial period, then I unplugged the antennas.

I don't agree with subscription services or data collection because I'm old school and consider my vehicle to be my wholly owned property.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I came across this thread while trying to figure out how to disable the "Vehicle Data Transmission" legalese startup screen. This one.

PXL_20230528_184159064~2.jpg

I have not figured out a way to disable this screen. 😞 I don't need to see this every time I start the car, and it seems like it inhibits Android Auto from starting quickly.

On the other hand, I think I have figured out how to minimize or disable at least some of the data collection. In the settings menu it seems that you have the ability to turn off at least some of this.

Settings -> NissanConnect Services

Turn off Vehicle Data Transmission Setting

PXL_20230528_183428968~2.jpg

And then in Vehicle Data Sharing you can also turn off Share Vehicle Information and you xan also Delete Shared Vehicle Data.

PXL_20230528_183438923~2.jpg

Note that Nissan seems to really want these settings to be on, so if you enter certain menus, it will be turned on again. That behavior seems a little devious and doesn't inspire a lot of trust. If you want to keep these disabled, it might require diligence to check again after poking around in the menus.

Still wish I could disable that useless and annoying startup screen.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I came across this thread while trying to figure out how to disable the "Vehicle Data Transmission" legalese startup screen. This one.

PXL_20230528_184159064~2.jpg

I have not figured out a way to disable this screen. 😞 I don't need to see this every time I start the car, and it seems like it inhibits Android Auto from starting quickly.

On the other hand, I think I have figured out how to minimize or disable at least some of the data collection. In the settings menu it seems that you have the ability to turn off at least some of this.

Settings -> NissanConnect Services

Turn off Vehicle Data Transmission Setting

PXL_20230528_183428968~2.jpg

And then in Vehicle Data Sharing you can also turn off Share Vehicle Information and you xan also Delete Shared Vehicle Data.

PXL_20230528_183438923~2.jpg

Note that Nissan seems to really want these settings to be on, so if you enter certain menus, it will be turned on again. That behavior seems a little devious and doesn't inspire a lot of trust. If you want to keep these disabled, it might require diligence to check again after poking around in the menus.

Still wish I could disable that useless and annoying startup screen.
Disconnect the telematics antenna. The car will just think it's in a no service area.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Or maybe both!
We disconnected the antenna on both my 2016 GTI and my wife's 2020 Corolla. To me, that seemed to be the best choice to kill data without getting error messages.
I tried unplugging the harness to the telematics module in my GTI, and it threw warnings on the dash. I probably could have coded it out with VCDS, but unplugging the antenna was the easiest solution. Neither car complains about the lack of signal.

Eventually, manufacturers may wise up to this trick, and make it difficult to bypass the antenna, but for now, most cars just have a simple, single circuit cable going to an antenna through what looks like a FAKRA connector.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
We disconnected the antenna on both my 2016 GTI and my wife's 2020 Corolla. To me, that seemed to be the best choice to kill data without getting error messages.
I tried unplugging the harness to the telematics module in my GTI, and it threw warnings on the dash. I probably could have coded it out with VCDS, but unplugging the antenna was the easiest solution. Neither car complains about the lack of signal.

Eventually, manufacturers may wise up to this trick, and make it difficult to bypass the antenna, but for now, most cars just have a simple, single circuit cable going to an antenna through what looks like a FAKRA connector.

does it disable radio and gps?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
does it disable radio and gps?
On the 2 cars I've done that to, no. The antenna "shark fin" contains 3 or 4 antenna with their own connector. GPS, SXM, cellular, WiFi. Some cars have the FM antenna in the window, some might be in the shark fin. I disconnected the telematics connector at the in dash module. You might have 2 cables, WiFi and cellular.
If you disconnect it, be aware that you'll lose any connected services like customer support and smartphone integration.
I waited until my free trial services were up before disconnecting it.
BTW, I highly doubt that Nissan will actually push OTA updates to the Z. Only a few manufacturers do that. VW and Toyota are still through the service department.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
On the 2 cars I've done that to, no. The antenna "shark fin" contains 3 or 4 antenna with their own connector. GPS, SXM, cellular, WiFi. Some cars have the FM antenna in the window, some might be in the shark fin. I disconnected the telematics connector at the in dash module. You might have 2 cables, WiFi and cellular.
If you disconnect it, be aware that you'll lose any connected services like customer support and smartphone integration.
I waited until my free trial services were up before disconnecting it.
BTW, I highly doubt that Nissan will actually push OTA updates to the Z. Only a few manufacturers do that. VW and Toyota are still through the service department.
ahh ok.
could prob rig it up to a switch mounted under the dash within easy reach...just incase

qellman32

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023-24 Nissan Z Performance (Black/Black)
Occupation
DoorDash Dasher
They might push OTA updates if they're mandated to do so. Like with my Jeep Cherokee KL. Just before 3G (yeah, 3G) was taken down, they only pushed updates that changed things mandated by the Gov. Like "automatically disable parking brake when you shift into Drive and press the accelerator pedal".

Also a mechanical switch to disconnect an antenna might introduce interference. But I guess if this is mostly permanent for you, I guess it doesn't matter lol.